Coffeehouse Thread

56 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What's a "geek"?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ddewbofh

Bas wrote:
    In fact, why does everybody look like cardboard cutouts?

Because they are? If I'm not mistaken that picture was taken of a cardboard cutout in some computer museum. I remember seeing that photo somewhere else before and this exact discussion took place. Smiley

• User profile image
    Red5

What? Everyone missed this?

dictionary.com wrote:

a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken

Remember when Ozzy Ozborne did this type of activity with a dove or something in the 80's?

It's always meant something tech related to me.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

I have a whole "What is a geek" speech written down and blogged before, but it's in Hebrew so it probably won't help you. I'll just leave you with one of the best explanations I know:

http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=94

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

ddewbofh wrote:

W3bbo wrote: And you're not a computing geek unless you've taken a side in the Vi/Emacs wars.

That's the newer definition I wanted to get rid of, someone who argues over a text-editor is more of a nerd than a geek. I guess my definition of geek is later than the original meaning (circus freaks) but earlier than the "common" definition where a geek is somewhat of an outcast.

PS Vi ftw

:wq

A proper "geek" would take a side in the VI/Emacs wars, but wouldn't be vocal/deliberately start flamewars about it.  A nerd is someone who acts like "I know everything high-tech, that makes me cool, look at me" and just ends up looking stupid; a true geek really knows what he's (she's) talking about but is relatively passive about it.  They don't flaunt their "geekness".

btw...  why Vi?  Painful...  Emacs all the way (or even, might I suggest, Pico [6]).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

ddewbofh wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: And you're not a computing geek unless you've taken a side in the Vi/Emacs wars.

That's the newer definition I wanted to get rid of, someone who argues over a text-editor is more of a nerd than a geek. I guess my definition of geek is later than the original meaning (circus freaks) but earlier than the "common" definition where a geek is somewhat of an outcast.

PS Vi ftw

:wq

A proper "geek" would take a side in the VI/Emacs wars, but wouldn't be vocal/deliberately start flamewars about it.  A nerd is someone who acts like "I know everything high-tech, that makes me cool, look at me" and just ends up looking stupid; a true geek really knows what he's (she's) talking about but is relatively passive about it.  They don't flaunt their "geekness".

btw...  why Vi?  Painful...  Emacs all the way (or even, might I suggest, Pico ).

Or just msdevenv...?

*ducks!*

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dupe, nvm.

• User profile image
    TimP

W3bbo wrote:

Or just msdevenv...?

*ducks!*

If it doesn't work on a VT100 (dare I add 3270 terminal to the list?) it doesn't count.

• User profile image
    Nightengale

Jargon file, brings back some memories:D

My favorites:

Cargo Cult Programming

Feeping Creaturism (or is it Creeping Featurism)

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Nightengale wrote:

Feeping Creaturism (or is it Creeping Featurism)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

sirhomer wrote:
    A geek is someone who uses Linux as their primary OS.

And still lives in their mother's basement.

And hasn't showered all month.

• User profile image
    cheong

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    btw...  why Vi?  Painful...  Emacs all the way (or even, might I suggest, Pico ).

Oh Pico... That easy to use editor I missed after Pine quitsmost Linux distros...

As long as you don't care about syntax highlighting, I'll say it's the editor for everyone. (So it'd be 3-side war then... [6])

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

"An intellectual who is bent on a particular profession; especially within the computer field"

"A geek is a person who is fascinated, perhaps obsessively, by technology and imagination."

Actually, Being a geek also implies a capability with the technology

• User profile image
    TimP

cheong wrote:

Oh Pico... That easy to use editor I missed after Pine quitsmost Linux distros...

Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can get GNU nano, a GPL clone of pico for Windows, Linux, and several different operating systems. Most Linux distros either ship with it or have it available as a package.

http://www.nano-editor.org/

• User profile image
    eblonk

Wil Wheaton, in his Gnomodex presentation, starts with a great opening. In the interview afterwards he gives a few pointers to differentiate between geeks and poser-geeks.
    I have rewritten the opening a bit to fit me:

"I am Erwin B. and I'm a geek. I discovered that I was a geek in fifth grade when John Doe (name changed to protect the imbecile innocent) kicked me in the nuts and I retreated to the relative safety of the bench. Many years later I drove a 300km return trip once a month for a game of AD&D. I've handled my study books, calculator and computer more often than any athletic implement."

You cannot be a geek if you don't bear the scars, so to speak. If you haven't skipped going after specimen of the preferred sex for a romantic encounter to watch 'Cosmos' or an SF serie instead, you're not either. It also helps was if the main reason for hiding under the bedsheets so as to not be caught be your parents, was reading a Star Trek photo novel with a flashlight past bedtime. One thing counts against me: once a bully that thought he would get away by spitting at me was sent flying a foot or four by yours truly (he landed in a stack of backpacks, I'm not very evil, just a bit [6] ).

If you read the above and think 'hey, that somewhat resembles me', than it's only a matter of the type of geek you are.
    My geek is: IT, SF, poker, philosophy, astrophysics.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

A geek is just someone who knows a substatial amount about a certain subject.

Don't have to be tech related.

e.g. Somone who knows alot about Cars is a Car Geek Big Smile

• User profile image
    eblonk

sirhomer wrote:
    A geek is someone who uses Linux as their primary OS.

No no no - anyone who uses, or prefers one particular OS is not a geek - not not not ever

*cool down*

Big Smile I'm ok now.

• User profile image
    Massif

vi / emacs / pico!!!

Ed! all the way. (ducks)

Actually having to use vi on the current project I have realised something about text editor wars.

It's 2007 people! Give me a GUI or give me death! (Seriously, I'd prefer death to writing a large app in either vi or emacs.)

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Only IDE I can stand for longer than a few minutes is Visual Studio and I went for my fav *nix editor. Vim feels very slick and powerful, easy syntax and you can use regexps without jumping through any hoops.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.