Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apple how I hate thee.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

Not bad enough that they delayed Apple TV at the very last second - after promising it was ontime, but my order also contains a MacBookPro and they won't ship until the rest of the order is ready. Just as Parallels goes final with Vista support.

GRRRRRRRR

Sorry just felt the need to vent, even the fanboys get fed up with Apple from time to time.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Good Smiley Well, it's people. Sometimes something takes longer than though.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Dont ever send your MacBook Pro to Apple without going to a Apple store first.  That way when they take 4 months to repair your laptop you do have a throat to choke.

• User profile image
    Minh

I hear the Apple TV won't ship w/ any form of cable either. Not even a cheap composite. Definitely not HDMI.

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

you wasted your money

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Skriker V1.0 wrote:
    you wasted your money

And you are a fool. See everybody has an opinion, and mine is almost as baseless as yours in this situation. Although I did say almost Cool

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Rossj wrote:
    Not bad enough that they delayed Apple TV at the very last second - after promising it was ontime, but my order also contains a MacBookPro and they won't ship until the rest of the order is ready. Just as Parallels goes final with Vista support.

GRRRRRRRR

Sorry just felt the need to vent, even the fanboys get fed up with Apple from time to time.

Not to help you at all Ross, but I had my Airport Extreme delivered today days ahead of the estimated initial ship date. Haven't tried the AirDisk functionality yet (will tonight) but the new Airport config app is heaps better than the previous one. If you are getting a new Macbook and the AppleTV you should also check out the Airport.

Range is a lot better in my house too. I was using an airport express that was connected to a little dodgy netgear router which always used to drop my connection to my cable provider. The experience with getting rid of the netgear router and using the airport extreme has made my life a lot better at home already.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Rossj wrote:
    GRRRRRRRR

I feel your pain.  I ordered a Roomba in the beginning of January, and it still hasn't come.  I got an email saying that if iRobot isn't able to fill my order by mid March then they are just going to cancel my order.

• User profile image
    thekiwiguy

Go buy a media center.....AppleTV is a nice clone of the MCE, but its about 5 years too late...MSFT beat them to the punch on that....Wink

Ouch, i just opened myself up for a Applefan boy rage Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

thekiwiguy wrote:
    Go buy a media center.....AppleTV is a nice clone of the MCE, but its about 5 years too late...MSFT beat them to the punch on that....

Ouch, i just opened myself up for a Applefan boy rage

You must have missed the bit about this being my fourth Mac (I need to sell a couple) Smiley Seriously though, the one place you are fairly certain not to get FanboyRage is here - I don't know if you agree but the vast majority of Mac using niners seem like very reasonable people to me.

I don't do noisy computers in my house and *definitely* not underneath the TV Smiley  If Apple TV really is a competitor to MCE then it is a *very* limited one, I get the impression that it doesn't do nearly as much - and I guess this is reflected in the price.

I know one or two appear to think that I've wasted my money, and well apart from it not actually being my money, I don't think I have.  For all of the horror stories I've heard over the years I've not had one of them happen to me in the 6 years I've been a Mac user - not to say it won't but why don't you ask W3bbo about his satisfaction with Toshiba?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Custa1200 wrote:

Range is a lot better in my house too. I was using an airport express that was connected to a little dodgy netgear router which always used to drop my connection to my cable provider.

Unfortunately whilst range might be better, the bandwidth won't be as 802.11n is crippled in the UK. Sad

I am still taking heart from your early delivery Smiley

• User profile image
    Ray6

Rossj wrote:

thekiwiguy wrote:Go buy a media center.....AppleTV is a nice clone of the MCE, but its about 5 years too late...MSFT beat them to the punch on that....

Ouch, i just opened myself up for a Applefan boy rage

You must have missed the bit about this being my fourth Mac (I need to sell a couple) Seriously though, the one place you are fairly certain not to get FanboyRage is here - I don't know if you agree but the vast majority of Mac using niners seem like very reasonable people to me.

I don't do noisy computers in my house and *definitely* not underneath the TV   If Apple TV really is a competitor to MCE then it is a *very* limited one, I get the impression that it doesn't do nearly as much - and I guess this is reflected in the price.

I know one or two appear to think that I've wasted my money, and well apart from it not actually being my money, I don't think I have.  For all of the horror stories I've heard over the years I've not had one of them happen to me in the 6 years I've been a Mac user - not to say it won't but why don't you ask W3bbo about his satisfaction with Toshiba?

I've got an old G4 PowerBook that hasn't given me any trouble at all, so I'm going to stick with it until it can no longer do the job.

AppleTV doesn't really strike me as a good deal, but I reckon it'll be a big seller for the Apple types. The PC folk will get a much better deal with a Media Center (as long as they don't buy Vista separately)

• User profile image
    Massif

I still can't understand the point of AppleTV, I know I've already got a Media Centre PC upstairs, but I'd still opt MC + XBox360 over appleTV and Mac if I had to buy the setup from scratch.

Having the Tivo-like functionality is the most useful thing by far, if I wanted to just watch videos / listen to songs from my PC there are cheap network enabled DVD players which do that.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Rossj wrote:

GRRRRRRRR

I prefer "Even fanboys get the blues" Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

Massif wrote:
    I still can't understand the point of AppleTV, I know I've already got a Media Centre PC upstairs, but I'd still opt MC + XBox360 over appleTV and Mac if I had to buy the setup from scratch.

The AppleTV costs $299 - how much would a MC and XBox cost me? The first hit I found for Media Centre was a dell one, and apart from being huge also costs ~$1000. Plus however much an XBOX costs.  I really don't have the room for that much stuff under my TV.

Massif wrote:

Having the Tivo-like functionality is the most useful thing by far

A lot of people in the UK already have Sky+ to do this.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Actually tivo like functionality has led me on a quest for a personal  holy grail.

I want one box under my TV. I'd prefer not to have to shell out for a media centre PC as I was planning on a new laptop next. So, a PVR box would be nice - with a recordable DVD player for archiving off content and watching movies on too. The box must also have two freeview (ie digital terrestrial) tuners, so I can watch one thing while recording another.

Sounds reasonable? Doesnt exist. You can get a box with two tuners and a decent size hardrive for <£200. You can get boxes with one tuner, a HDD and a dvd recorder - again for <£200. You can not get a box with two tuners, hdd and dvd recorder - unless you buy a media centre PC.

Grr.

• User profile image
    Bas

Rossj wrote:

The AppleTV costs $299 - how much would a MC and XBox cost me? The first hit I found for Media Centre was a dell one, and apart from being huge also costs ~$1000. Plus however much an XBOX costs.  I really don't have the room for that much stuff under my TV.

Actually, you'd only need the xbox under your PC, since the MC can go in the attic, basement, or wherever, whirring away. And you don't need to shell out $1000 for a media center PC, there are some nice, quiet, set-top like ones (that way you wouldn't need the Xbox) for around $500-$600.
    But yeah, if you only need the functionality of the AppleTV, $300 for it is a lot cheaper.

• User profile image
    imekon

Rossj wrote:

GRRRRRRRR

I went to PC World to buy my MacBook. The Salesman there mentioned something about a virus checker. I smiled.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.