Coffeehouse Thread

62 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Orcas March CTP is Live!!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    irascian

Zeo, old chap, you are becoming famous as the guy who only posts here to share a new release - several hours after someone else has already posted all the information.

By all means post - we kinda miss your input - but please have a look around to see if it's already been done first. Your last few posts have been kinda redundant.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

why is it 7 parts? Why not 1 iso?Sad

• User profile image
    Andrew Davey

Why no bittorrent? I guess MS can afford the massive bandwidth!!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

SecretSoftware wrote:

why is it 7 parts? Why not 1 iso?

Because then it would be a 4.3 GB ISO image, which would be useless.

I'd rather download smaller peices than have to mess with a ridiculously large one.  That way, I'm in less trouble if my network connection dies or one file's corrupted in transit.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote:
    why is it 7 parts? Why not 1 iso?

Because then it would be a 4.3 GB ISO image, which would be useless.

I'd rather download smaller peices than have to mess with a ridiculously large one.  That way, I'm in less trouble if my network connection dies or one file's corrupted in transit.

The system has to allocate 7 download slots and resources to pull them from the server. If 1 then you have slots and resources for 1 download no matter how big.

if your using download managers that breaks it into parts, then thats a different issue.

I would like to get them in 1 big iso file, so I can get it installed faster. It saves sooooo much time that way, rather than decompressing each one and so on.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Installed and runs just fine...  I was able to convert my current pet project over with no trouble (haven't tried to switch it over to .Net 3.5, but I probably won't).  Screenshots (since there are none around yet):

Start page (virtually identical to 2005 right now):

start

Windows Forms designer:

winforms

WPF Designer:  (note the fancy WPF-based properties panel in the lower right:  this panel doesn't go away if you switch from WPF to WinForms, requiring you to restart the IDE if you need to move from one to the other)

wpfdesigner

Web Designer:  (this is supposed to be the same codebase as Expression Web; I haven't had time to explore it yet)

webdesigner

New menu style (only the menus are different now, but given the trend of Visual Studio looking different with each iteration, I'd expect the rest of the UI to get a bit of a makeover as well):

menus

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Zeo wrote:
    Irascian. I didn't see a posting in the coffeehouse about the CTP. Maybe I missed it. Yep I missed it. It was on page 2. I guess I was a little over excited. I just got the bits this afternoon and we weren't supposed to post about it until an official email came out. (which reached my email box at 7:36pm).

Well, how are you guys liking orcas?

Still in the process of installing it. Have to remove the old ctp.

But from what I saw in the Jan CTP, its more performant than VS2005, and now it HAS LINQ!

Very Cool Indeed.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

SecretSoftware wrote:

Zeo wrote: Irascian. I didn't see a posting in the coffeehouse about the CTP. Maybe I missed it. Yep I missed it. It was on page 2. I guess I was a little over excited. I just got the bits this afternoon and we weren't supposed to post about it until an official email came out. (which reached my email box at 7:36pm).

Well, how are you guys liking orcas?

Still in the process of installing it. Have to remove the old ctp.

But from what I saw in the Jan CTP, its more performant than VS2005, and now it HAS LINQ!

Very Cool Indeed.

It seems similar performance-wise to the Express Editions (although the WPF designer seems quite on the slow side).  If I'm correct in assuming that VS slows down as you add features/components, then it's probably considerably faster than the full Visual Studio Professional.

I can't compare it to 2003, as I haven't run 2003 on this machine (only on school machines).

• User profile image
    amotif

Zeo wrote:
    Irascian. I didn't see a posting in the coffeehouse about the CTP. Maybe I missed it. Yep I missed it. It was on page 2.

Some of us don't visit The Coffeehouse regularly. Thanks for the post.

Edit: Heh, how about that... I strayed into The Coffeehouse. Didn't even notice. Smiley

• User profile image
    Custa1200

It will not accept the credentials to log into the VPC image Sad for me.I type P2ssw0rd and it rejects it. Embarassed

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

CannotResloveSymbol:

Thanks for snaps. Does this IDE converts the 2003 version projects to present one? or only from 2005?

Comparing between 2003 and 2005, If i compile a C# project, 2005 is faster when done the same with 2003. So is this Orcas2007 faster than 2005 in compiling or same speed as 2005?. (My system has 256mb ram and 1.01 GB HDD space in "C:", and I can really feel the difference between 2k3 and 2k5) Smiley

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Raghavendra_Mudugal wrote:
    CannotResloveSymbol:

Thanks for snaps. Does this IDE converts the 2003 version projects to present one? or only from 2005?

Comparing between 2003 and 2005, If i compile a C# project, 2005 is faster when done the same with 2003. So is this Orcas2007 faster than 2005 in compiling or same speed as 2005?. (My system has 256mb ram and 1.01 GB HDD space in "C:", and I can really feel the difference between 2k3 and 2k5)

I don't have any 2003 projects at hand to test that, but I assume that it will.

I haven't really had time to see how quickly it compiles--  all my projects of significant size are all .Net 2.0, so they'll use the same compiler as 2005 did (csc from .net 2.0).  Theoretically, it should be about the same speed.

• User profile image
    sc00ter

Any idea if/how/where the new LINQ bits will work with VB Express?  I'm excited about how LINQ can be used on objects and lists and stuff like that.  It would save a lot of time/coding!

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

sc00ter wrote:
    Any idea if/how/where the new LINQ bits will work with VB Express?  I'm excited about how LINQ can be used on objects and lists and stuff like that.  It would save a lot of time/coding!

yes! yes!, I forgot to ask about this. ( I was thinking all time that I missed something). Please.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

sc00ter wrote:

It's a core language feature now, so I should hope LINQ will be fully functional in the Express Editions (reading the documentation for this CTP indicates that there will be new Express Editions for Orcas).

• User profile image
    lgratian

Has anyone tried to run March CTP on Vista ? When i try to install it, it stops at the first installation step (Microsoft Web Designer Tools).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.