Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

You're kidding right?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Cybermagell​an

Can someone honestly watch this video and then tell me installing Windows Vista is easy?

And the confidence is astounding...

"We are going to demonstrate how to upgrade your operating system to Windows Vista. (Don't forget to back-up your data! Smiley"

• alwaysmc2

Cybermagellan wrote:
    "We are going to demonstrate how to upgrade your operating system to Windows Vista. (Don't forget to back-up your data! "

They also say that you should always backup your data anyway.

Installing Vista for me was much easier because I did a clean install and have my personal files on a secondary hard drive.  An instructional video that they do would have to be a "one size fits all" solution, which makes things more complicated.

• Jack Poison

What I don't get is why the video doesn't elaborate WHY people think Vista is hard and such to install: Apple commercials.

I'd love to know why Microsoft / Dell / HP / etc. aren't countering with "no, it's 10% truth, that they're saying happens 100% of the time". No, I don't necessarily have to upgrade my PC to run Vista (just my Wireless Router). No, I don't have a secret service dude asking me if I want to really IM some each time I send a message.

This stuff is plainly false, yet no company has the balls to counter it. I wonder why.

• petknep_home

sirhomer wrote:

Jack Poison wrote: What I don't get is why the video doesn't elaborate WHY people think Vista is hard and such to install: Apple commercials.

I'd love to know why Microsoft / Dell / HP / etc. aren't countering with "no, it's 10% truth, that they're saying happens 100% of the time". No, I don't necessarily have to upgrade my PC to run Vista (just my Wireless Router). No, I don't have a secret service dude asking me if I want to really IM some each time I send a message.

This stuff is plainly false, yet no company has the balls to counter it. I wonder why.

Maybe Microsoft should counter it (or pay the OEMs to do it)? Microsoft has the OEMs by the balls, I'm sure they would love to all switch to a free and infinitely configurable desktop OS in the future, instead of promoting someone elses product.

Why counter it? Customers are smart enough to see it for the petty attack that it is. There's no reason to dignify it with a response that only appears just as petty.

Vista is quality software. It doesn't need to attack any other vendor to demonstrate its worth.

• Jack Poison

Re: petknep_home

To quote this thread, "You're kidding, right?"

• Human​Compiler

Jack Poison wrote:
    What I don't get is why the video doesn't elaborate WHY people think Vista is hard and such to install: Apple commercials.

That's actually what I thought about the 10 video.  The good part about us though is that we're showing something good about our products, not what's bad about our competitors.  Wink

• PetKnep

Jack Poison wrote:
    Re: petknep_home

Nope, there's no reason to turn it into the kind of childishness that you see in political ads. "Person X says Person Y does Z which is a crime against man" should be reserved for when you have nothing good to say about yourself.

• Jack Poison

PetKnep wrote:

Jack Poison wrote: Re: petknep_home

Nope, there's no reason to turn it into the kind of childishness that you see in political ads. "Person X says Person Y does Z which is a crime against man" should be reserved for when you have nothing good to say about yourself.

Negative Ads, while distasteful, are often very effective. But, I understand that MS or others might not want to stoop to that level, I don't see any kind of campaign / promotions / etc. that even challenge their assertions, not counting the C9 / on10 videos.

Shoot, If I had a company which made product X, and my competitors spent millions on a media campaign to say it does something bad 100% of the time, when in fact it didn't, I'd be suing their Aszes, if for no other reason than to pull the ads off the air.

If Microsoft doesn't speak up, many will just assume the ads are correct.

That being said, the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak: let's see how Apple does next quarter.

• PetKnep

Jack Poison wrote:

Shoot, If I had a company which made product X, and my competitors spent millions on a media campaign to say it does something bad 100% of the time, when in fact it didn't, I'd be suing their Aszes, if for no other reason than to pull the ads off the air.

Suing people is not always the answer. (Never involve the government in a private matter unless you absolutely have to...)

It would breed bad will and give more ammo to those who already drink haterade all day. Suing usually just generates more headlines, ignoring it is the best course of action IMHO.

Let them hate all they want. It's not going to stop me from writing software that people use and enjoy.

• Minh

LOL:

"Windows is unable to download any update ... and the reason for this is there isn't any critical updates to download"

I kept waiting for Tina to ask "Why doesn't it just say 'there isn't any updates to download.'"

• Cybermagell​an

The problem that I seen was that Windows ran the upgrade advisor...said Vista was OK...then during the installation it does the compatibility check....which the upgrade advisor should do anyways...so....redunantcy != Ease

• Bas

sirhomer wrote:
    Maybe Microsoft should counter it (or pay the OEMs to do it)? Microsoft has the OEMs by the balls, I'm sure they would love to all switch to a free and infinitely configurable desktop OS in the future, instead of promoting someone elses product.

Wouldn't they still be promoting someone else's product, then? I mean, unless Dell made DellOS, that is.

Anyway, relevance to the topic?

• Jack Poison

Bas wrote:

sirhomer wrote: Maybe Microsoft should counter it (or pay the OEMs to do it)? Microsoft has the OEMs by the balls, I'm sure they would love to all switch to a free and infinitely configurable desktop OS in the future, instead of promoting someone elses product.

Wouldn't they still be promoting someone else's product, then? I mean, unless Dell made DellOS, that is.

Anyway, relevance to the topic?

Well considering Dell doesn't make Video Cards, Processors and the like, they often indirectly promote those items when comparing it to another computer, not unlike the Gateway Profile 4 XL commercial, where it did backflips over an iMac.

I really have come to the conclusion that Apple just doesn't care about the masses, just businesses. If they can add a few programs like Texas Hold'em and more people buy PCs, so much the better. I should qualify that by saying Microsoft has not put great resources into the masses: sure, they have Movie Maker. DVD Maker, etc.. But, they have only put significant resources into Businesses and Developers.  And now, they're losing on the Development front as Macs / Adobe becomes the defacto standard of web development. Not counting intranet apps, of course.

I really hope MS will prove me wrong. But, so far, they haven't.

• Angus

The reason people think it is hard to install is simply because of what the guy said in the video; they don't do it often. The average user wouldn't know how to change the boot order to boot from CD, and they would be stuck there, other people might be confused by the install, but this is increasingly hard to believe because it is usually very easy. I think people will think things are hard because they are to do with computers, and they don't do it often.

Angus Higgins

• Ray6

sirhomer wrote:

Maybe Microsoft should counter it (or pay the OEMs to do it)? Microsoft has the OEMs by the balls,

Actually, judging by Vista's price tag, then I think the ball grasping is pretty mutual. Microsoft needs the OEMs to shift their OS and keep the piracy down, and the OEMs need to ship with an OS that people actually want.

sirhomer wrote:

I'm sure they would love to all switch to a free and infinitely configurable desktop OS in the future, instead of promoting someone elses product.

Then what's stopping them?

• Ray6

sirhomer wrote:

Maybe Microsoft should counter it (or pay the OEMs to do it)? Microsoft has the OEMs by the balls,

Actually, judging by Vista's price tag, then I think the ball grasping is pretty mutual. Microsoft needs the OEMs to shift their OS and keep the piracy down, and the OEMs need to ship with an OS that people actually want.

sirhomer wrote:

I'm sure they would love to all switch to a free and infinitely configurable desktop OS in the future, instead of promoting someone elses product.

Then what's stopping them?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.