Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

It's official: Pirates crack Vista at last

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Erisan
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

link in bricked. y But one all knew the was going to happen sooner of later maybe now Microsoft will retail vitiation ad other doormen measures

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Lol, at the bottom of the Digg linked website there is another link to: Sampsonresume.com
    I wonder who that is...

http://digg.com/microsoft/Vista_cracked_totally_by_Paradox_Microsoft_s_in_trouble_now

• User profile image
    dahat

Queue thread deletion in 3... 2... 1...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

You know what is really interesting - the guy who submitted it is a regular at my site/forums and wrote about his intentions in my forum: http://www.sampsonresume.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=376

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

Nothing has been "cracked".  This is just another "activation bypass" that will work temporarily until Microsoft blacklists the keys involved.

Now if somebody would come up with a "crack" that makes me like Vista more than XP ............... Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Heywood_J wrote:
    Now if somebody would come up with a "crack" that makes me like Vista more than XP ...............

They've already invented that...it's illegal almost everywhere, so don't get caught with it. Not to mention the side-effects it has on those who use it Smiley

• User profile image
    cescotto

So, when are Ninjas going to crack OS X?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Heywood_J wrote:
    Nothing has been "cracked".  This is just another "activation bypass" that will work temporarily until Microsoft blacklists the keys involved.

Now if somebody would come up with a "crack" that makes me like Vista more than XP ...............

Actually, the crack has a driver that utilizes that activation system.

This is the most impressive crack to date but I'm sure Microsoft will make the necessary changes to the system to detect the driver and stop it.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

cescotto wrote:

So, when are Ninjas going to crack OS X?

Cracking OS X for PC wasn't even a challenge.

Just visit your local neighborhood torrent site for a download link. But beware the number of leechers vs seeders means the download speed is terrible.

I gave up trying after 10 minutes @ 1 KBps.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Actually, the crack has a driver that utilizes that activation system.

This is the most impressive crack to date but I'm sure Microsoft will make the necessary changes to the system to detect the driver and stop it.

No changes should be necessary, Windows has rootkit/driver protection, no?

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

W3bbo wrote:
    No changes should be necessary, Windows has rootkit/driver protection, no?

Well signed drivers come to mind immediately.

The crack can't work on AMD64 Vista because it requires signed drivers and Microsoft certainly wouldn't sign these drivers. Wink

So if i386 Vista required signed drivers as well then this crack would be useless.

I guess that gives Microsoft a clue on how to design their next OS.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

W3bbo wrote: No changes should be necessary, Windows has rootkit/driver protection, no?

The crack can't work on AMD64 Vista because it requires signed drivers and Microsoft certainly wouldn't sign these drivers.

So if i386 Vista required signed drivers as well then this crack would be useless.

Theoretically MS could roll out a required update that only allows signed drivers, couldn't they?

• User profile image
    stevo_

ddewbofh wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: No changes should be necessary, Windows has rootkit/driver protection, no?

The crack can't work on AMD64 Vista because it requires signed drivers and Microsoft certainly wouldn't sign these drivers.

Theoretically MS could roll out a required update that only allows signed drivers, couldn't they?

Yep, I was expecting it to occur on a service pack.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

the good guys wrote:

Yep, I was expecting it to occur on a service pack.

I hope this does come to pass. There's no reason to run un-signed drivers. If you modify a car engine in warranty that warranty becomes voided, a nice model for operating systems to use, imho.

Piracy is piracy, nothing more. Unsigned drivers are simply the result of lazy business practices -- let the fittest thrive, I say.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

sirhomer wrote:
    Microsoft charges a fee to do so.

No they don't. It's not free, but you don't have to pay Microsoft for it.

Driver signing != WHQL certification.

WHQL requires Microsoft's approval, but all you need for the former is a Verisign certificate. And Vista x64 only requires signing, not WHQL verification. So while you do have to pay money, you don't pay it to MS.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

I smell Root Kits somewhere...

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

foxbar wrote:
    Why not put authenticode certs on http://cacert.org ? - Mozilla will soon include that root cert. Isn't it ok to get a digital certificate from a CA for free? Or is Microsoft against that too? Would that hurt Microsoft's CA partners and disturb the protection racket?

I doubt that MS would refuse them simply because they're free. Microsoft don't have to provide the certs so as long as certain guidelines are followed, like security and so on, there shouldn't be any problems with it.

If you're interested you should send MS a mail and ask, there's probably some email address on msdn that deals with question regarding driver-signing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.