Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista, IE7 and Office 2007 banned from DOT use

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    reinux

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197700789

Among the concerns cited by Mintz are compatibility with software applications currently in use at the department, the cost of an upgrade, and DOT's move to a new headquarters in Washington later this year. "Microsoft Vista, Office 2007, and Internet Explorer [7] may be acquired for testing purposes only, though only on approval by the DOT chief information officer," Mintz writes.

Among the options the Transportation Department is weighing as a possible alternative or complement to Windows Vista are Novell's Suse Linux and, for a limited group of users, Apple's Macintosh hardware and software, he says.

According to a separate memo, a number of key software applications and utilities in use in various branches of the department aren't
    Vista compatible. Among them are Aspen 2.8.1, ISS 2.11, ProVu 3.1.1, and Capri 6.5, according to a memo issued by staffers at the DOT's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Apparently, Aspen and all that run on Linux, and retraining all the staff for Linux is cheaper than getting this software fixed Perplexed

All the anti-Vista FUD sure is paying off.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Stupid people are making stupid decisions. Nothing new.

Same people would be happy to dry out all lakes to protect people from drowning.

We'll see after 1 year of "retraining" and "rehardwareing". Cool

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

Weren't there 'storeys' like this about XP, and followed roughly 6 months later, by how the same gov/org/company changes back, after user acceptance levels were so poor.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Usually the government is scared of cheap/free things, it's very odd indeed.

• User profile image
    AndyC

No major business is about to rush into a major OS change, so that's hardly a surprising viewpoint. As for the murmurings of switching to Linux or OS X, well you don't want to go letting Microsoft think they've already made a sale before you negotiate a nice big discount....

• User profile image
    LiquidSpy

Seriously?! I'm sure that Aspen 2.8.1, ISS 2.11, ProVu 3.1.1, and Capri 6.5 all refuse to even think about upgrading their software to work on Vista. Only a half-minded twit would need to create a "moratorium" on upgrading to the next version of any OS immeadiately following its release.

We get it, now isn't the best time for "you" to upgrade, but do you need to make it a public affair? Either this guy is bored, or just another over-paid government clown.  Maybe someone should call him and find out if he's planning to go public for all his technology decisions.

Daniel Mintz
    Chief Information Officer
    Department of Transportation
    202-366-9201
    daniel.mintz@dot.gov

• User profile image
    Harlequin

foxbar wrote:
    They're supposed to choose an OS which is incompatible with their software and cause havoc at the DOT just to make you all happy? I'm sure they will take your complaints seriously. Not. I'm sure with their massive budget and staff, they have no idea what they're doing. This thread is silly.

I swear your idocy is growing as each day passes. I say 3 or 4 days until we see a "This is my last post" from you just like corona_coder(Beer Pt. Deux)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    No major business is about to rush into a major OS change, so that's hardly a surprising viewpoint.

But the reluctance to upgrade to IE7 is notable, there's few breaking changes in IE7.

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo wrote:

But the reluctance to upgrade to IE7 is notable, there's few breaking changes in IE7.

I'm guessing you've not been exposed to the horrors of many corporate Intranet apps yet? We're still stuck on IE6 due to the incredibly flaky nature of one web app, which refuses to work properly on anything else, until the company we bought it off can get it working.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

sirhomer wrote:
    Isn't it illegal for the government to use a more expensive product if there is a more inexpensive one available?

Heh.

Yeah and we all know how frugal governments are with our tax dollars. Wink

• User profile image
    ZippyV

LiquidSpy wrote:
    I'm sure that Aspen 2.8.1, ISS 2.11, ProVu 3.1.1, and Capri 6.5 all refuse to even think about upgrading their software to work on Vista.

Who said they need to upgrade their software to work on Vista? I've never heard of these applications before. Which companies made them, what are they used for?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    I'm guessing you've not been exposed to the horrors of many corporate Intranet apps yet? We're still stuck on IE6 due to the incredibly flaky nature of one web app, which refuses to work properly on anything else, until the company we bought it off can get it working.

Good point.

Question: Why are intranet sites/webapps so terrible then?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

sirhomer wrote:
    Isn't it illegal for the government to use a more expensive product if there is a more inexpensive one available?

No.

• User profile image
    glebd

W3bbo wrote:

AndyC wrote:I'm guessing you've not been exposed to the horrors of many corporate Intranet apps yet? We're still stuck on IE6 due to the incredibly flaky nature of one web app, which refuses to work properly on anything else, until the company we bought it off can get it working.

Good point.

Question: Why are intranet sites/webapps so terrible then?

Want to know why? Just go and read some articles at The Daily WTF (http://www.thedailywtf.com).

• User profile image
    reinux

LiquidSpy wrote:

We get it, now isn't the best time for "you" to upgrade, but do you need to make it a public affair? Either this guy is bored, or just another over-paid government clown.  Maybe someone should call him and find out if he's planning to go public for all his technology decisions.

Taking jabs at Microsoft makes you look intellectual. It makes the DOT seem more competent.

LiquidSpy wrote:

Daniel Mintz
    Chief Information Officer
    Department of Transportation
    202-366-9201
    daniel.mintz@dot.gov

Scary.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

sirhomer wrote:

HAHAHAHA!  Surely you aren't talking about the U.S. government, because if you are, HAHAHAHA!

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

sirhomer wrote:

I heard that since travels in cars and planes are more expensive the U.S. president is forced to travel using bycicles and rafts . . .

• User profile image
    reinux

Well in Japan, the previous prime minister called on businessmen to stop wearing ties during the summer because ties = heat = more air conditioning = more money and emissions.

Just an amusing fact.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.