Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft considered dropping Mac Office to cause great harm to Apple

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

More evidence in the Iowa trial has come to light.  Microsoft considered dropping Mac Office with no other reason except to do harm to Apple.  Iowa is ripping MS a new one. What will hapopen when the class action suit starts because MS is slandering Linux?  With Vista sales non-existant and Linux share rising as well as Dell going to start preloading Linux.  The age of MS dominance is over.

• User profile image
    blowdart

corona_coder wrote:
    More evidence in the Iowa trial has come to light.  Microsoft considered dropping Mac Office with no other reason except to do harm to Apple.  Iowa is ripping MS a new one. What will hapopen when the class action suit starts because MS is slandering Linux?  With Vista sales non-existant and Linux share rising as well as Dell going to start preloading Linux.  The age of MS dominance is over.

Ah the slashdot spin. Did you read the PDF? It sounded like (at least partially) the dump threat was to get Apple to actually co-operate with the coding team.

Heh, done that myself to get a customer to actually hold up their end of the process.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

corona_coder wrote:
    The age of MS dominance is over.

I can understand how the MS employees could possibly worry about this if they're paranoid, but for us tech-heads that's actually a good thing. Competition forces innovation and better products. Instead of having one good choice and lots of smaller bad ones we'll hopefully get a bunch of good choices.

PS Good/bad in that statement relates to technology and got nothing to do with ideology or anything similar.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

What color is the sky in your world?

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

corona_coder wrote:

IMO it's about time they make something with those backstabbers!

Anyway, can I ask you something corona? Even if it feels fun to tease Windows users, why do you always have to post such childish lies?
    I mean nobody is slandering anybody more than Linux users Windows OS. And that I cas firmly say is a fact. (The problem is that MS is too nice to sue somebody for slandering and even if they did want to sue, who should they sue - community??)

Anyway even if you deny what I just said, why do you have to say such obvious lies? Show some gratitude towards C9 forum who is gaving you the option to speak freely (as in freedom, without somebody censoring you, like it is a custom on some more free sites like FSF..) by not abusing that freedom with such lies.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

DCMonkey wrote:
    What color is the sky in your world?

Remember he lives in the OpenWorldTM, in some parts of the world its blue, in others its red, in others there is no sky and in others you hit a boundry line and run straight into a solid sky. And apparently Linus is flaming the GnomeSky people claiming their sky is stupid and not usable because it rains artillery shells instead of water and all the clouds are shaped like feet. Ah, the beauty of Open Source.
    Tongue Out

And Corona, why dont you read what Paul Thurrott has to say on the matter. Considering he has a track record of flaming Microsoft when they have it coming, I'd trust him over your source any day.
    Reality Check: Microsoft Showed Practicality, Compassion for Mac at Apple's Lowest Point

• User profile image
    Minh

corona_coder wrote:
    The age of MS dominance is over.
    Repetition == Truth?

• User profile image
    dahat

What happend to not posting here anymore?

... or did you find you needed more material for the second edition of your book?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I contend, THIS is my last post ever.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Lay off the crack pipe, corona_coder.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

blowdart wrote:

corona_coder wrote: More evidence in the Iowa trial has come to light.  Microsoft considered dropping Mac Office with no other reason except to do harm to Apple.  Iowa is ripping MS a new one. What will hapopen when the class action suit starts because MS is slandering Linux?  With Vista sales non-existant and Linux share rising as well as Dell going to start preloading Linux.  The age of MS dominance is over.

Ah the slashdot spin. Did you read the PDF? It sounded like (at least partially) the dump threat was to get Apple to actually co-operate with the coding team.

Heh, done that myself to get a customer to actually hold up their end of the process.

And if you look at the business side of things it makes even more sense. Let's put some facts into the mix:

1. Apple was on the way down
    2. MS revenue on the mac platform had decreased 25%
    3. Dying platform is a bad place to focus development on
    4. MS went on and released a new version of Office for the mac platform as well as promise to develop Office for atleast 5 more years on the mac.

Luckily Apple hung in there and went on to release some great products like the iMac (I use a 1st gen. as a web-browser in the kitchen) and iPod. No matter how I look at it I can't see the problem.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

No, no, no.  I contend THIS IS MY last post ever.

Cybermagellan wrote:

• User profile image
    Ray6

blowdart wrote:

corona_coder wrote:More evidence in the Iowa trial has come to light.  Microsoft considered dropping Mac Office with no other reason except to do harm to Apple.  Iowa is ripping MS a new one. What will hapopen when the class action suit starts because MS is slandering Linux?  With Vista sales non-existant and Linux share rising as well as Dell going to start preloading Linux.  The age of MS dominance is over.

Paul Thurrott has written a handy summary to aid those blinded by zealotry

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Talking about SlashDot, did you know that Opera has a SlashDot easter egg? If you type in /. in the address bar, Opera opens the SlashDot website.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Cybermagellan wrote:

rjdohnert wrote:
    No, no, no.  I contend THIS IS MY last post ever.

Bye.  No one liked either of you trollings anyway.

Microsoft didnt keep Mac Office alive jusrt for the heck of it.  At the time they were involved i n their anti-trust suit as well and they thought it would help them out.  Mac Office is going to go the way of Internet Explorer for Mac and Internet Explorer for Unix just so they can try and sell more Windows machines.

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

corona_coder wrote:

Microsoft didnt keep Mac Office alive jusrt for the heck of it.  At the time they were involved i n their anti-trust suit as well and they thought it would help them out.  Mac Office is going to go the way of Internet Explorer for Mac and Internet Explorer for Unix just so they can try and sell more Windows machines.

Huh?  Office Mac isn't going anywhere.  IE for Mac wasn't killed off by MS, it was killed off by Apple.  If anything, I think you'll see more Mac support out of MS in the future, not less.  Especially now that Macs are real PCs and not novelty playthings like they used to be.

• User profile image
    Ray6

corona_coder wrote:
    More evidence in the Iowa trial has come to light.  Microsoft considered dropping Mac Office with no other reason except to do harm to Apple. <snip/>

Apple refuses to license FairPlay for no other reason than to harm Creative, Rhapsody, Cowon, Microsoft, iRiver ......

• User profile image
    Darbacour

corona_coder wrote:

When did this become the USSA?  Where companies are NOT allowed to do what is BEST for them? 

And we all know this is Linux-hippie FUD anyway... But please go on and amuse us.

Ohhhhh Yeah, Vista sales are non-esistant, could I have a hit off yer crack-pipe?

BTW: Who KEPT Apple in solvent when they were going down?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.