Coffeehouse Thread

52 posts

Microsoft the EU's NEW Welfare Dept!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Darbacour

Can't find a topic about this and I am amazed, but I'm a dumb bonde and it may be right in front of my face.

Earlier today, the European Commission (EC) announced that it had issued a formal “Statement of Objections” against Microsoft, arguing that the company is overcharging for technology being made available to competitors under the EC’s March 2004 order.  Microsoft has four weeks to respond to the Statement and can request an oral hearing.

Microsoft Senior Vice President and General Counsel Brad Smith said, “Microsoft has spent three years and many millions of dollars to comply with the European Commission’s decision.  We submitted a pricing proposal to the Commission last August and have been asking for feedback on it since that time…  [W]e believe we have been fair in setting proposed protocol prices, and an analysis by PricewaterhouseCoopers found that our proposed prices were at least 30 percent below the market rate for comparable technology.”

Read Brad Smith’s Full Statement
    www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/mar07/03-01PricingProtocolPR.mspx

European Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said, “The Commission’s current view is that there is no significant innovation in these protocols” and therefore Microsoft can only charge a nominal fee under European competition law.

Microsoft does not agree on this point.  The protocols include technologies that have been awarded at least 36 patents in the U.S. and Europe, with another 37 pending.  Microsoft is following standard industry practices in offering licenses on reasonable and non–discriminatory terms.

ISSUE BACKGROUND
    In March 2004, the EC imposed a record 497 million euro fine (approximately $613 million at then–current exchange rates), mandated the licensing of certain technology, and ordered the company to sell a version of Windows in Europe with Windows Media Player software code stripped out.  These sanctions far exceeded the terms of the court–approved antitrust settlement that Microsoft reached with the U.S. government and state plaintiffs in November 2001.

Microsoft appealed EC ruling to the European Court of First Instance, and presented its case in April 2006.  While the case is on appeal, however, Microsoft is required to comply with the EC sanctions.  The company paid the initial fine, shipped a degraded version of Windows without media–playing capabilities, and established a technology licensing program.

In July 2006, the EC fined Microsoft an additional 280.5 million euros ($357 million at then–current exchange rates).  This additional fine arose from the EC’s determination that Microsoft had not adequately documented Windows Server technology in the mandated licensing program.  Today’s European action also revolves around this licensing program, and Microsoft now faces potential additional fines of several million euros.

Microsoft leadership will carefully review the details of today’s Statement of Objections and respond formally to the European Commission in the coming weeks.

YOUR VIEWS ARE IMPORTANT
    Elected officials want to hear constituent views about public policy issues.  To contact your elected officials about this and other important technology issues, visit www.freetoinnovate.com/.

Look to the FIN for additional updates on the dispute with the European Commission.  For further technology news and information, visit the FIN Web site.

To cancel your subscription to this newsletter, please go to the following website:

• Darbacour

I guess this might explain why MS doesn't offer Europeans FREE copies of Vista.... They would likely have to pay you $5000 US just for taking it.

But buck up.  All that money your countries are stealing from MS will surely provide a much better life for those on the dole.

WHY doesn't MS just say NO.... Let them eat Linux?  SCREW the EU!

• Tensor

Failing to see how that makes microsoft the EUs welfare dept?

• Darbacour

Tensor wrote:
    Failing to see how that makes microsoft the EUs welfare dept?

Please, are you one of the benefactors? 

It's so simple a WoW player could see it!

Have you taken a look at the total currency the EU has ransomed from MS to date and the proposed money they are trying to STEAL?

It's about twice what all those slacker countries combined could produce in about FIVE years! 

Why bother when they can just STEAL it from MS?

Yes I KNOW I'm exaggerating but not very much.

• Tensor

Have you looked at the size of the EU budget? The money they have fined Mcrosoft is NOTHING in comparison. This is a total none-issue in the scale of things that the EU needs to get sorted out. The Common Agricultral Policy is screwed going forwards and effects the real lives of millions of EU citizens. I really wish people would get some priorities.

Oh and for the record in the UK there were free copies of vista to people attending the launch - or watching the launch events online. Just like in the US.

• Darbacour

Tensor wrote:
    Have you looked at the size of the EU budget? The money they have fined Mcrosoft is NOTHING in comparison. This is a total none-issue in the scale of things that the EU needs to get sorted out. The Common Agricultral Policy is screwed going forwards and effects the real lives of millions of EU citizens. I really wish people would get some priorities. Oh and for the record in the UK there were free copies of vista to people attending the launch - or watching the launch events online. Just like in the US.
    Have you looked at the size of the EU budget? The money they have fined Mcrosoft is NOTHING in comparison. Well that's even scarier, Commisar!  The money stole is even bigger than California's entire GP & budget. WE are the 3rd largest country in the world in GDP.  NONE of our GDP comes from Bogus lawsuits.... at least not on the scale of the BILLIONS you Europeans have stolen from MS.Does the EU produce ANYTHING besides lawsuits against MS?I have NO IDEA why MS doesn't say 'Thanks for the Memory' and turn the lame-(I need to watch my language) EU over to Linux.You deserve each other!  You deserve each other.

• Another_​Darren

Darbacour wrote:

But buck up.  All that money your countries are stealing from MS will surely provide a much better life for those on the dole.

Congrats, you're the new Eagle.  Funny if someone outside of the US had made a comment like to you guys you'd be screaming for a ban. Re-arrange kcirp.

• blowdart

Darbacour wrote:

Awww diddums. Back in your redneck box until you can type without hyperbole and stop insulting "slacker countries" a lot of whom have a higher GDP growth rate than the US.

• Darbacour

blowdart wrote:

Darbacour wrote: 

Awww diddums. Back in your redneck box until you can type without hyperbole and stop insulting "slacker countries" a lot of whom have a higher GDP growth rate than the US.

I'm sorry to disillusion you but I live in one of THE most prestigious buildings in Hancock Park.

I read through all your posturings and even as a female I have THE balls to say what's real.

So let me ask you, do you believe these INSANE fines....AFTER MS has done EVVERYTHING requested and more should continue?

Does anyone else think the low-achieving, EU Dole-economy is simply taking advantage of an extremely wealthy American  company?

• blowdart

Darbacour wrote:

I'm sorry to disillusion you but I live in one of THE most prestigious buildings in Hancock Park.

And of course everything we read on the interweb is true. Why I'm actually a playboy multimillionaire, who just codes for relaxation.

Darbacour wrote:

So let me ask you, do you believe these INSANE fines....AFTER MS has done EVVERYTHING requested and more sould continue?

Spellchecks are a wonderful thing when you're trying to convince people that you're well educated and make lots of money.

As an aside; I don't actually agree with it, but that's not the point here. If MS aren't submitting to a ruling that was legally reached, well then the courts are within their rights to fine/punish.

Darbacour wrote:

Does anyone else think the low-achieving, EU Dole-economy is simply taking advantage of an extremely wealthy American  company?

There's the redneck again. Have you ever been to anywhere in Europe?

• Darbacour

Oh yeah and WHAT the hell have you useless Tech-dollar stealers ever contributed to the world lately other than lawsuits and the formation of the Euro?

Has the EU sent anyone into space?

Have you found a definative cure for AIDs? 
    With the money you stole from MS for GOD's skes you MUSt at least have cure for AIDs!

Have you canceled terrorism.... just in your own countries?

Have you paid your debts to the US?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, if not please expound with proof and links.

• Darbacour

Blowdart

Please address the POINT.

Spell-check is NOT a legitimate answer.

Unless you don't have a viable answer.

• blowdart

I must be bored.

Darbacour wrote:
    Oh yeah and WHAT the hell have you useless Tech-dollar stealers ever contributed to the world lately other than lawsuits and the formation of the Euro?

HTML. CERN. Refusal to endorse software patents. Linux.

Darbacour wrote:

See Operation Paperclip.

Darbacour wrote:

With the money you stole from MS for GOD's skes you MUSt at least have cure for AIDs!

Has anyone? It's a shame that the US hasn't discovered a cure for stupidity, we wouldn't have you here if they had.

Darbacour wrote:

Pot, kettle etc. Oh and we didn't back terrorists attacking the US through the 70s and 80s, unlike the US when they refused to stop Noraid et al.

Darbacour wrote:

If you mean lend-lease; you are forgetting that Canada was part of the lenders and yes, the UK has.

• Rossj

Blowdart wrote:

And of course everything we read on the interweb is true. Why I'm actually a playboy multimillionaire, who just codes for relaxation.

We knew that already ...

Darbacour wrote:

How long do you have left in school?

• Darbacour

Rossj wrote:

Blowdart wrote:

We knew that already ...

Darbacour wrote: Oh yeah and WHAT the hell have you useless Tech-dollar stealers ever contributed to the world lately other than lawsuits and the formation of the Euro?

FAR less than you if that's your best response.

• AndyC

Darbacour wrote:

Am I the only person who thought of this?

• Tensor

You know - now I think about it, we should just let any corporation come in to Europe and act however it likes, make as much money as it wants, and do nothing.

That sounds like a great plan.

I'm convinced. Thanks, Darbacour, for bringing this to my attention.

Perplexed

• Rossj

Darbacour wrote:

Rossj wrote:
    Blowdart wrote:

We knew that already ...

Darbacour wrote: Oh yeah and WHAT the hell have you useless Tech-dollar stealers ever contributed to the world lately other than lawsuits and the formation of the Euro?

FAR less than you if that's your best response.

Well really, why would I spend time looking for things that Europe has contributed? I studied history, so why should i need to teach you what you should already know.

Asking if we have paid our debts to the US is a question asked by someone who has no f*ckin clue what is going on, either now or in the past. 

If you don't want reasoned debate and just want to aggravate anyone who lives in Europe then you should probably fvck off somewhere else and do it.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.