Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista's Windows Explorer: bugs in Notification area...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

I'm almost humbled with often icon disapperance from notification area. But this bug is annoying. I HAVE A "VOLUME"! I HAVE A "NETWORK"! Why they are disabled? I' m sure what after system reboot everything will be enabled, but why options are diabled just now? Maybe it cause by "Sleep" mode?

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cescotto

BlackTiger wrote:

I'm almost humbled with often icon disapperance from notification area. But this bug is annoying. I HAVE A "VOLUME"! I HAVE A "NETWORK"! Why they are disabled? I' m sure what after system reboot everything will be enabled, but why options are diabled just now? Maybe it cause by "Sleep" mode?

Are you sure they aren't hidden? The arrow to show hidden icons is present in the screenshot.

Also try to see if the netprofm service is active, I have a bad feeling about this: if the netprofm service is turned off and you can't start it because of an "insufficient resources" message you can already start screaming.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Yes, I'm sure. I've played with "Hide Icons" setting too. It's not happens everytime, just sometimes I don't have icons for WLM, Skype and couple other apps (processes are running and listed in taskman).

About my previous screen shot - I've just killed "explorer.exe" and started it again. All icons (Volume and Network) now listed in notification area, previously disabled options are available too.

So untested UI... Perplexed

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Somethink like this.... might help  Smiley (I guess there is an option for this in Vista... )

• User profile image
    Rich2k

I often get this two on a vista business laptop and an ultimate desktop.  Seems totally random and a log off and logon seems to fix it until it decides to do it again.  Sound and network both work just the status icons disappear and refuse to enable through the properties.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I had this once. Like Rich2k sais, logoff/logon fixed it. Don't know what caused it.

• User profile image
    kponeill2006

This appears to be a common problem with Vista. It happens to me all the time and is starting to drive me crazy!!! Just now, I have rebooted 3 times and every time I have a different combination of displayable icons. The clock seems to be the only icon that will always display? If anyone finds a fix to this issue I'm pretty sure Microsoft will pay big $$$ for it because it appears to happen with every copy of Vista that I have ever seen!

• User profile image
    Pace

kponeill2006 said:
    This appears to be a common problem with Vista. It happens to me all the time and is starting to drive me crazy!!! Just now, I have rebooted 3 times and every time I have a different combination of displayable icons. The clock seems to be the only icon that will always display? If anyone finds a fix to this issue I'm pretty sure Microsoft will pay big $$$ for it because it appears to happen with every copy of Vista that I have ever seen!
    Most strange.

I have never seen this bug personally.

Guess that's where all my extra cash went on Ultimate Smiley hehe

• User profile image
    Dovella

you use a first Set up OEM producer?? (+bloatware etc??? )

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Dovella said:

you use a first Set up OEM producer?? (+bloatware etc??? )

No, it's Explorer's bug(s). If you will kill "explorer.exe" process and restart it then all icons will be in place.
    It's impossible to track what exactly causing icon's disappearance from notification area and settings.
    Just... happens.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dovella

BlackTiger said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    No, it's Explorer's bug(s). If you will kill "explorer.exe" process and restart it then all icons will be in place.
    It's impossible to track what exactly causing icon's disappearance from notification area and settings.
    Just... happens.
    happens to me only with MSN messenger.

if I close messenger, remains for me the icon below.
    Indeed disappears in step mouse

Big Smile

• User profile image
    OpnMnded

BlackTiger said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Just... happens.
    BlackTiger, Thanks for the tip about shutting off the explorer.exe process. It worked like a charm!

For those of you that don't know the 'step by step on how to do this, I've included them below:

1) Press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys at the same time and let them go.
    2) Click on Start Task Manager
    3) Click on the Processes tab
    4) Find and click on explorer.exe in the list
    5) Click the End Process button (in the lower right corner of the dialog box) -- Don't freak out - it is normal not to have access to your taskbar at this point because you just turned it off!
    6) Click on the Applications tab
    7) Click on the New Task... button (in the lower right corner of the dialog box)
    8) Type in explorer.exe
    9) Click on the OK button.
    10) Congratulations, that's it!! Now see what surprises you have in the Notification Area. Hopefully, the icons you wanted to see are back.    Smiley

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

OpnMnded said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    BlackTiger, Thanks for the tip about shutting off the explorer.exe process. It worked like a charm!

For those of you that don't know the 'step by step on how to do this, I've included them below:

5) Click the End Process button (in the lower right corner of the dialog box) -- Don't freak out - it is normal not to have access to your taskbar at this point because you just turned it off!
    7) Click on the New Task... button (in the lower right corner of the dialog box)
    8) Type in explorer.exe
    10) Congratulations, that's it!! Now see what surprises you have in the Notification Area. Hopefully, the icons you wanted to see are back.    Smiley
    Because killing running processes without giving them the chance to close open files and network connections and save state is always a good idea.

There's actually a way to close Explorer properly, without doing End Task in Task Manager.

On Vista with the standard start menu:
    Hold Ctrl+Shift and right click on any empty area of the start menu.  Select "Exit Explorer".

On Vista with the classic start menu or XP with either start menu:
    Open the Shutdown dialog, hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift and click the Cancel button.

This can be used to close explorer so you get your volume and network icons back, or used to run the entire desktop shell as elevated on Vista.  (Thanks to Aaron Margosis for the obscure trick).

• User profile image
    AndyC

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    OpnMnded said:
    *snip*
    Because killing running processes without giving them the chance to close open files and network connections and save state is always a good idea.

There's actually a way to close Explorer properly, without doing End Task in Task Manager.

On Vista with the standard start menu:
    Hold Ctrl+Shift and right click on any empty area of the start menu.  Select "Exit Explorer".

On Vista with the classic start menu or XP with either start menu:
    Open the Shutdown dialog, hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift and click the Cancel button.

This can be used to close explorer so you get your volume and network icons back, or used to run the entire desktop shell as elevated on Vista.  (Thanks to Aaron Margosis for the obscure trick).
    So, I figured I'd try that out and now Explorer hasn't come back. Ho hum....

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

AndyC said:
    *snip*
    So, I figured I'd try that out and now Explorer hasn't come back. Ho hum....
    You still have to restart it via task manager--  this closes explorer properly, emphasis on the close.

• User profile image
    CKurt

OpnMnded said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*

8) Type in explorer.exe
    Step 1) and 2) are just  :

Right Click on taskbar en select 'Task Manager'

• User profile image
    K0ogle

AndyC said:
    *snip*
    You still have to restart it via task manager--  this closes explorer properly, emphasis on the close.
    i just have turn "hide inactive icons" off, whats the friggin point in a customize dialog when it doesn't bother adhering to the settings its been like that XP for a long time.

Its all just another useless part of the windows sh/t explorer among tons of other slacking areas. Namely the piss poor file default management window (which qttabbar does a much better job of improving), with things like movie thumbnails that lock explorer or are sh/t and get the first frame... where is customization why would I want video thumbs that are just black!  or the fact that common views like details/thumbs are imbedded in a stupid drop menu.. when they should just be quick individuals icons on the bar! or at least stuck into a customize dialog... Y'know and seeing as Explorer saving of individual folder views/dialog sizes is just crap.. or that its default window size is a non customize sh/ty 800x600...

Explorer such a key part of windows.. and so much of it is just unbelievebly SH/T! or just for noob users.

i reckon if there was a log of the most "end process" .exe item on the task manager window it would be the sh/t explorer.exe what a pile of.. oh hello MS Smiley

this wasn't a reply to you .symbol.. but this forum is useless and won't let me change it to "reply to root"

• User profile image
    ZippyV

CKurt said:
    OpnMnded said:
    *snip*
    Step 1) and 2) are just  :

Right Click on taskbar en select 'Task Manager'
    Noob, Ctrl + Shift + Esc launches task manager directly.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.