Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

GoDaddy Upsets Millions By Neglecting DST?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

http://www.sampsonresume.com/2007/03/11/is-godaddy-in-some-trouble-probably/

GoDaddy apparently was warned that their servers weren't ready for the DST transition, but they failed to listen...now millions of people are unable to get their content online!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

That's right, I'm affected too, their whole DNS operation went down *snap* like that.

So now I can't receive any email because people can't resolve my domain names and a few websites I go to are offline.

....but, they are offering customers like me 10% of future account renewals.

• User profile image
    LostIn​Tangent

That's pretty funny. I don't get how a company of that size doesn't have some big wig advisor who is smart enough to call them idiots and make them comply with DST.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

W3bbo,

That's nice that they're offering you 10% off...but is that even close to being heavy enough to out-weigh the damage that is caused by this little event? Think of the types of sites that use the GoDaddy services and depend on their up-time for financial purposes and income.

10% off new renewals is undoubtably laughable for many of the GD customers.

Jonathan

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jsampsonPC wrote:
    W3bbo,

That's nice that they're offering you 10% off...but is that even close to being heavy enough to out-weigh the damage that is caused by this little event? Think of the types of sites that use the GoDaddy services and depend on their up-time for financial purposes and income.

10% off new renewals is undoubtably laughable for many of the GD customers.

The outage started at around 1630UTC, I think the services are slowly coming back online (I just received my first email in 3 hours).

10% discount for 3 hours of outage ain't bad, sometimes you get days of outage from your webhost with no discount.

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

My GoDaddy-hosted site was down until just a few minutes ago. As far as I can tell, they're compliant with the new DST rules now.

Edit: I'm not getting my GoDaddy mail, though. Good thing I have e-mail accounts with Gmail, Yahoo, and .Mac to make up for it ^_^.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

My videos are back online now...that's good.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Why did their servers go down because of a time issue?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV wrote:
    Why did their servers go down because of a time issue?

The servers wouldn't have gone down, I reckon it just messed with the TTL values or something.

But the bigger question is "why weren't they running on UTC?"

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Update From GoDaddy:

This morning, March 11, some of our Go Daddy services came under significant and sustained distributed denial of service attacks resulting in intermittent disruptions of various services, including shared hosting and email.

Our Internet Security and Network teams immediately invoked counter-measures to respond to these large scale, sophisticated attacks.

After 4-5 hours of intermittent disruptions of various services this morning, including shared hosting and email, the attack was contained.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.