Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

"Blend" Release Candidate is now available

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian

You can download it here

• User profile image
    littleguru

irascian wrote:
    You can download it here

Great news Smiley Thanks for the link.

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

Nice Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

One question: Why is the UI so non Windows like and why is it so black? The menu borders hurt my eyes: black with white... Doesn't this thing break quite a few of the Windows design guidelines? Hmmm...

• User profile image
    blowdart

littleguru wrote:
    One question: Why is the UI so non Windows like and why is it so black? .

Because it's for "designers"

• User profile image
    littleguru

blowdart wrote:

littleguru wrote: One question: Why is the UI so non Windows like and why is it so black? .

Because it's for "designers"

And... ? That means they work all in dark rooms? I mean I can't read the grayed out values in the menu and on the disabled buttons if light comes from the outside world into my room (aka sun).

For me it's just a terrible experience and I don't understand why not even Microsoft can follow its own design guidelines for Windows applications.

Again some new inconsistent thing!

Just follow the guidelines, put it like the designer think it is put, but follow the guidelines. Photoshop also uses default Windows - with the selected color scheme and doesn't its own cool fancy completely inconsistent and not customizable UI!

I wonder how disabled people (who have problems with their eyes) handle this UI. Must be a nightmare.

Sorry. *really frustrated about this*

• User profile image
    Massif

Sounds like an issue with the chosen styles for greying out text, more than just the choice of black as the overarching colour scheme.

I like black programs, Lightroom's very black and I really like working in it.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

littleguru wrote:

One question: why do we have guidelines, if not even the creator respects them

That's the difference between 'guidelines' and 'rules': when you break guidelines you can say 'But they're only guidelines, not rules' and get away with it. Wink

Herbie

• User profile image
    littleguru

Massif wrote:
    Sounds like an issue with the chosen styles for greying out text, more than just the choice of black as the overarching colour scheme.

I like black programs, Lightroom's very black and I really like working in it.

One question: why do we have guidelines, if not even the creator respects them? Wink If an app follows the guidelines, somebody could switch the whole OS in black (black theme) and have all apps switching to black aswell.

But if somebody, like me, doesn't like it, why should I be forced to have it in black?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Dr Herbie wrote:

littleguru wrote: 
    One question: why do we have guidelines, if not even the creator respects them

That's the difference between 'guidelines' and 'rules': when you break guidelines you can say 'But they're only guidelines, not rules' and get away with it.

Herbie

That's also why UAC is now a big problem to everybody (at least if you look at all the threads started about it). Nobody respects guidelines. Embarassed

• User profile image
    Massif

I don't see that there's a problem ignoring the guidelines, if all programs looked the same I'd get really bored really quickly. Of course, if it's not usable because of mistakes in implementing the interface then that's a bug - but it's only a release candidate, report it as an issue.

Plus designers like to concentrate on their work surface, if the interface is all black and subdued it could actually help them get their work done. (And give them a better appreciation for how it'll actually look, compared to having colours around the place, of course white would work here as well, but pure white's so bright when working for long periods of time.)

• User profile image
    littleguru

Yes probably that's it why everything is so dark. Perhaps it also so strange, because the samples are also very dark and that's why the UI and the sample and everything is just dark.

Despide of that I like the samples, they look sweet (when run). Smiley

• User profile image
    Rowan

littleguru wrote:
    One question: Why is the UI so non Windows like and why is it so black? The menu borders hurt my eyes: black with white... Doesn't this thing break quite a few of the Windows design guidelines? Hmmm...

Guidelines should be used for common applications that are buit into the OS and used for important functionality. Microsoft just can't produce well designed software when they're given the freedom.

Plus, it will probably change drastically by the time of release, I've seen big differences between beta/RC software and final versions from MS.

• User profile image
    irascian

Microsoft are desperately trying to break into the "luvvies" space.

Look at Photoshop CS3 and it has the same "black" look and feel. To such users the Expression suite will sort of look familiar and less intimidating.

What you or I think as developers is largely irrelevant. Microsoft need to shift some copies of Expression and they need to appeal more to people who traditionally stick with Adobe and Apple Macs, even if it does "break" guidelines.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Rowan wrote:

Guidelines should be used for common applications that are buit into the OS and used for important functionality. Microsoft just can't produce well designed software when they're given the freedom.

You obviously have not tried Office 2007, which is simply brilliant.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

irascian wrote:
    Microsoft need to shift some copies of Expression and they need to appeal more to people who traditionally stick with Adobe and Apple Macs

As if that will ever happen...

But, I suppose they have to try.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Sweet.
    Beta 2 were really good, this can only be better!!Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

littleguru wrote:

Black also relaxes the eyes. And when developing software that deals with a UI toolkit (Boxely or otherwise) staring at white all day long doesn't help. Plus many applications have white borders or dark borders and putting those against a black background enables clear perception where after looking at them against a white background blurs your eyes because you try refocusing all the time.

Unless you work in the TV room at Willy Wonka's Choclate Factory, then you just wear glasses.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.