Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

HP's Dunn gets off scott free....because she has cancer

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/14/technology/hpq/index.htm?postversion=2007031413

Does this not open up a pandoras box? You can't go to prison if you have cancer?

What's even better:
    The dismissal came "not because she's innocent but because she is sick," attorney general's office spokesman Nathan Barankin told CNN.

And she said:

"I have always had faith that the truth would win out and justice would be served - and it has been," Dunn said in a written statement.

She's a bright one....if you have the $ you can get the good lawyers Perplexed

• User profile image
    kettch

I don't relish the thought of criminals avoiding punishment, however there is one benefit to this that I can see. I might have missed it, but if there was any potential prison time involved, it would relieve the prison system from having to foot the bill for her care.

Although, personally, rather than dismiss the charges, I would have found some way to make sure that there was still some sort of punishment that she could fulfill. I'm not sure what that would be though, monetary damages, some sort of community service, etc...

• User profile image
    jwrector

so have either of you read the new yorker article? Do you have any idea as to the details of the case, or do you just scan whatever small words you can (like the newsweek cover page) and then assume you know 'the rest of the story'. Why dont each of you tell the readership all that you know about the issues here. Tell us how much of the ag's accusations you have read, how much of the case you have actually followed. How much of the testimony you have read. How you are confident enough to blog on a subject of which you know:

1) 100% of the information?
    2) 2% of the information
    3) cant take the time to read.

• User profile image
    shuff1203

Who has time to investigate to the level you are suggesting?  The newsweek statment is pretty cut and dry:

The dismissal came "not because she's innocent but because she is sick," attorney general's office spokesman Nathan Barankin told CNN.

If you are saying the Newsweek article is incorrect on this statment then it's not the posters fault for beliving what was reported by CNN.  The issue is with CNN and or Newsweek.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Kind of.  It appears that she's hiding behind her lawyers in this case.  She's claiming that she asked about each of the decisions she made, and the lawyers claimed the acts would be valid and legal. 

Problem is, though, she should have known that impersonating someone in order to gain private information about them is illegal.

No matter what your lawyer says.

• User profile image
    Massif

I don't particularly mind the case being dismissed in this way, it sounds like she's suffering enough - but this quote:

Harlequin wrote:

And she said:

"I have always had faith that the truth would win out and justice would be served - and it has been," Dunn said in a written statement.

Is just taking the piss surely? The "truth" wasn't contested or established, and justice can't be said to be served. It's still on your criminal record, so don't go around making it sound like you've been exhonorated.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Massif wrote:
    I don't particularly mind the case being dismissed in this way, it sounds like she's suffering enough - but this quote:

Harlequin wrote:

And she said:

Is just taking the piss surely? The "truth" wasn't contested or established, and justice can't be said to be served. It's still on your criminal record, so don't go around making it sound like you've been exhonorated.

Agreed.

I kinda hope she dies from some horrible disease....oh, wait.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

ScanIAm wrote:

Massif wrote:I don't particularly mind the case being dismissed in this way, it sounds like she's suffering enough - but this quote:

Harlequin wrote:

And she said:

Agreed.

I kinda hope she dies from some horrible disease....oh, wait.

Thats a nice thing to say, the woman has cancer FFS!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.