Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

MS employees and Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Secret​Software

Are all of MS's employees running Vista in their boxes? And if not all what is the reason that is holding them back?

I saw a recent C9 video of the features of Orcas, and they were running XP Pro. So are all the employees required to upgrade to the latest version of Windows or not?

Is there a particular reason they have not upgraded to Vista? Do they know something that we don't?[6]

• User profile image
    PaoloM

As usual, the answer is "it depends" Smiley

My boxes are all Vista, as all my team. Many testers run both Vista and XP on their day to day machines (plus having access to all the versions on the test machines) for quick verifications.

I don't know what web developers use for ASP.NET, but pretty much all my devs work in Vista now.

• User profile image
    Rory

SecretSoftware wrote:
    Are all of MS's employees running Vista in their boxes? And if not all what is the reason that is holding them back?

I saw a recent C9 video of the features of Orcas, and they were running XP Pro. So are all the employees required to upgrade to the latest version of Windows or not?

Is there a particular reason they have not upgraded to Vista? Do they know something that we don't?

I'm running Vista on all my machines (except my G4 Mac, of course).

A lot of people are dual-booting. As far as I can tell, the problems we're running into have to do with dodgy 3rd party drivers (as usual), and software that hasn't been updated for Vista.

If I wanted to record a screencast, for example, XP would be my best choice right now. TechSmith is still working on Camtasia 4.0, which is the first version that will have Vista support.

Vista might not seem like a huge change to users, but it's a different thing underneath.

Enough so that moving to Vista and using it for a few days makes you (me) not want to move back to XP. Ever.

Same thing with each iteration of OS X. The feature improvements are generally minor. Granted, Apple releases much more often, but still... Once I was on 10.4, there was no way I was going to move back to 1.3.x.

I've kept one of my Macs on 10.3, but that's only because the iSight plumbing got completely redone for 10.4, and Apple, in their horrible way (even though everybody just loooooves them now), force you to use the latest version of iChat which just happens to be incompatible with the previous version.

I gave my mom an iBook, and it has 10.3 on it. The main reason I got it for her was so we could use iChat/iSight now that I'm 160 miles from my hometown. We had tons of problems trying to connect, and never suceeded. We didn't even get an error message indicating why. After a couple hours of frustration, I learned about the cool way Apple is forcing me to move to the latest chat client and won't let me install the old one.

Argh.

That was a bit of a tangent. Apologies.

I hope most of this post makes sense. I think I had a point in there somewhere.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Very cool guys, I just was asking my self, why are those MS employees who built vista still on xp pro. And now it makes sense, with the testing and all since MS still supports XP.

I was not sure about upgrading. I did upgrade and I am happy. The new games are cool , especially the chess.

And the instant search , I just love that. Makes me feel like I am riding a Ferrari.

So long XP, you have been true to me and my needs till the end. Don't be jealous now Wink.

Now where is that post button? ah.. there:D

• User profile image
    kriskdf

Nearly everyone on my team has Vista on client machines (most had beta and RC builds as well).  2003 64bit on all other machines. 

• User profile image
    Rowan

Rory wrote:
    Enough so that moving to Vista and using it for a few days makes you (me) not want to move back to XP. Ever.

I use XP in a customised classic theme at work and at home I use Vista with Aero, the only thing I really miss is the fading windows. Expressionless

It's not a big deal though, the less I notice the OS the less it can cause annoyances. Wink

• User profile image
    Massif

Rowan wrote:

Rory wrote:Enough so that moving to Vista and using it for a few days makes you (me) not want to move back to XP. Ever.

I use XP in a customised classic theme at work and at home I use Vista with Aero, the only thing I really miss is the fading windows.

It's not a big deal though, the less I notice the OS the less it can cause annoyances.

They make me use Win2k at work, but both home machines run Vista and I'm never going back. Even though nvidia appear to be unable to write a driver to save their collective lives, I'm not going back.

Don't make me go back.

On a different note, does Skype for Mac have webcam support? (or indeed, does messenger for Mac?) Just wondering as it'd be cool to be able to look ugly and poorly lit for all my Mac owning friends. (Not to mention to constantly look like I'm distracted because I'm looking elsewhere. Is there a way to put the webcam behind the screen so it looks at least a little natural?)

• User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Massif wrote:

They make me use Win2k at work, ...

WOW, I am not alone Big Smile

• User profile image
    Frank​Palinkas

PaoloM wrote:
    As usual, the answer is "it depends"

My boxes are all Vista, as all my team. Many testers run both Vista and XP on their day to day machines (plus having access to all the versions on the test machines) for quick verifications.

I don't know what web developers use for ASP.NET, but pretty much all my devs work in Vista now.

FWIW, all of the MSFT Team Leaders and members at the sessions I attended at the MVP Global Summit this past week were running Vista (sheesh, what an incredible show!). Didn't ask if they were on a dual-boot scenario.

BTW, I'm interviewing this morning for a position on Paul Cornell's VS SDK team at Building 41 starting at 09:30. If any of you on campus are available, please come in and wish me luck (i'm sure i'll need all i can get Smiley)? I'd like to say "hi" before leaving for the WritersUA Annual conference in Long Beach. CA, to give a presentation on my last Fast Track tutorial. Thanks!

• User profile image
    Duncanma

PaoloM wrote:

I don't know what web developers use for ASP.NET

I'd always recommend they work on the platform their code will run on, so Windows Server 2003 for most web devs...

I couldn't push that idea onto the C9/10 devs though so we are all on Vista. I've kept a Windows Server 2003 box around though for testing fixes to the current C9 code...

• User profile image
    Charles

Most MS employees run our latest general purpose operating system as their main work system, yes... Those who do not have very compelling reasons not to. They are a very small minority.

C

• User profile image
    intelman

Rory wrote:

SecretSoftware wrote: Are all of MS's employees running Vista in their boxes? And if not all what is the reason that is holding them back?

Is there a particular reason they have not upgraded to Vista? Do they know something that we don't?

I'm running Vista on all my machines (except my G4 Mac, of course).

A lot of people are dual-booting. As far as I can tell, the problems we're running into have to do with dodgy 3rd party drivers (as usual), and software that hasn't been updated for Vista.

If I wanted to record a screencast, for example, XP would be my best choice right now. TechSmith is still working on Camtasia 4.0, which is the first version that will have Vista support.

Vista might not seem like a huge change to users, but it's a different thing underneath.

Same thing with each iteration of OS X. The feature improvements are generally minor. Granted, Apple releases much more often, but still... Once I was on 10.4, there was no way I was going to move back to 1.3.x.

I've kept one of my Macs on 10.3, but that's only because the iSight plumbing got completely redone for 10.4, and Apple, in their horrible way (even though everybody just loooooves them now), force you to use the latest version of iChat which just happens to be incompatible with the previous version.

I gave my mom an iBook, and it has 10.3 on it. The main reason I got it for her was so we could use iChat/iSight now that I'm 160 miles from my hometown. We had tons of problems trying to connect, and never suceeded. We didn't even get an error message indicating why. After a couple hours of frustration, I learned about the cool way Apple is forcing me to move to the latest chat client and won't let me install the old one.

Argh.

That was a bit of a tangent. Apologies.

I hope most of this post makes sense. I think I had a point in there somewhere.

Camtasia does work with Vista.

http://groups.msn.com/camtasia-vista

I've used it a few times with no problems. Though I'm sure it isn't perfect, but it seems I never get problems.

• User profile image
    JKelley

FrankPalinkas wrote:

PaoloM wrote: As usual, the answer is "it depends"

FWIW, all of the MSFT Team Leaders and members at the sessions I attended at the MVP Global Summit this past week were running Vista (sheesh, what an incredible show!). Didn't ask if they were on a dual-boot scenario.

BTW, I'm interviewing this morning for a position on Paul Cornell's VS SDK team at Building 41 starting at 09:30. If any of you on campus are available, please come in and wish me luck (i'm sure i'll need all i can get )? I'd like to say "hi" before leaving for the WritersUA Annual conference in Long Beach. CA, to give a presentation on my last Fast Track tutorial. Thanks!

Good luck!  I'm in building 41 myself, I've worked a little bit with some of the SDK team, they're a good group of people.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Building 41?

Just how many buildings does the Redwood campus comprise of? :O

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Building 41?

Just how many buildings does the Redwood campus comprise of?

Quite a few... I searched for "Microsoft Campus" and found these maps...

http://www.jeff-barr.com/?p=200

• User profile image
    kettch

Duncanma wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote: Building 41?

Just how many buildings does the Redwood campus comprise of?

Quite a few... I searched for "Microsoft Campus" and found these maps...

http://www.jeff-barr.com/?p=200

Live rocks

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.ry6q1x4tp75y

• User profile image
    Duncanma

kettch wrote:

Wow... I had no idea it would actually label the individual buildings...

• User profile image
    Frank​Palinkas

JKelley wrote:

FrankPalinkas wrote: 
    PaoloM wrote: As usual, the answer is "it depends"

BTW, I'm interviewing this morning for a position on Paul Cornell's VS SDK team at Building 41 starting at 09:30. If any of you on campus are available, please come in and wish me luck (i'm sure i'll need all i can get )? I'd like to say "hi" before leaving for the WritersUA Annual conference in Long Beach. CA, to give a presentation on my last Fast Track tutorial. Thanks!

Good luck!  I'm in building 41 myself, I've worked a little bit with some of the SDK team, they're a good group of people.

Hi J,

Apologies if you came looking for me....I was in and out of different staff offices all day, one on one interviews - started at 09:30, finished at 17:30 - was offered lunch, but declined to keep things moving. I hope to be hearing back from the lead recruiter early this coming week, but am keeping a healthy attitude of no expectations. Seriously, i really enjoyed the whole process....it was one, if not the best positive experience I ever had, regardless of what the Team's decision will be.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.