Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Rory and Scoble fighting it out

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    mawcc

Seems like there's not much love left between Rory and Scoble. Rory posted a rebuttal to Scobles "Microsoft's Internet Strategy Sucks"-Post, and what follows in the comments and Rory's follow-up post indicates that the former and current Channel 9 superstars won't be seen having a beer together in the foreseeable future.

• User profile image
    Rossj

At least you know Rory isn't fickle, or at least not *as* fickle.  I am glad Rory decided to stand up and confront Scoble (even if I agree that from a distance Scoble might be right).

Go Rory!

Edit: And here is where Scoble shows what he thinks about C9.
    "

Channel 9 IS advertising! With one advertiser. I think it's funny that you think it's something else. Demonstrates the power of a long-form unedited video. It fools you into thinking it's not commercial content.
    "

• User profile image
    Massif

Rory's point is that Scoble isn't the arbiter of what is and isn't good.

With a side order of - and he moans about almost every company around one at a time.

Scoble's rebuttal seems to be: "I'm Robert Scoble Dammit!"

With apologies to both sides if I've misrepresented their views.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Rossj wrote:
    "
    Channel 9 IS advertising! With one advertiser. I think it's funny that you think it's something else. Demonstrates the power of a long-form unedited video. It fools you into thinking it's not commercial content.
    "
    Color me shocked.

Expressionless

They clearly state somewhere on this site, that this site isn't marketing.

http://channel9.msdn.com/about.aspx

Channel9 Readme wrote:
    5. Marketing has no place on Channel 9. When we spend money on Channel 9 the goal is to surprise and delight, not to promote or preach.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rossj wrote:
    "
    "

And what is Scoble's pod/video casts, if not astro-turfing and advertising? Whilst he may attempt to dress it up with some veneer of independence that's simply marketing for his persona, not any real truth.

I've never understood why Robert is painted as a geek when he's really a marketing person.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

Rossj wrote:Edit: And here is where Scoble shows what he thinks about C9.
    "
    "
    Color me shocked.

Yeah yeah. Of course it is advertising, but it is targeted advertising. You come here to watch videos voluntarily because knowing what is coming up makes your job easier and you get some enjoyment from seeing what is happening behind the scenes.  Scoble however would like you to think you have been tricked into coming here and spending time on C9 whilst being subliminally advertised to.

Sometimes I agree with Scoble, sometimes I don't, but his ego is *incredible*.

• User profile image
    Massif

blowdart wrote:

I've never understood why Robert is painted as a geek when he's really a marketing person.

He's not well dressed enough to be seen as a Marketer. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    fdisk

Rossj wrote: Edit: And here is where Scoble shows what he thinks about C9.
    "
    "
    Color me shocked.

http://channel9.msdn.com/about.aspx

Channel9 Readme wrote: 5. Marketing has no place on Channel 9. When we spend money on Channel 9 the goal is to surprise and delight, not to promote or preach.
    How is this a surprise? I mean, come on, anybody could have figured this out a while ago. Denying it only makes the denier look worse.

• User profile image
    Massif

I'm sure I'm not the only person to think this, but your current Avatar really does make you look like a huge (I need to watch my language).

If that gets through the censor I just know I'll have to go back and edit it, but for the meantime I'm relying on someone else to filter me.

• User profile image
    fdisk

Massif wrote:
    I'm sure I'm not the only person to think this, but your current Avatar really does make you look like a huge (I need to watch my language).

If that gets through the censor I just know I'll have to go back and edit it, but for the meantime I'm relying on someone else to filter me.
    ?

Whose avatar are you referring to?

• User profile image
    Massif

Sorry, sirhomer's Avatar.

You just got in the way.

• User profile image
    Rossj

sirhomer wrote:
    Oh, and Rory has "Smartest Person in the World" as the title of one his websites. I'm sure that makes him humble.

I don't doubt for a second (having been on the receiving end of one of Rory's rants) that Rory has an over-developed sense of humour that is often taken as arrogance or ego, but I really don't think you can compare that to Scoble's "I built C9 by myself" arrogance that just ignores the hard work of everyone else on the team.

I don't know why Scoble acts the way he does, and is convinced of his own greatness, but he *does* have a bona-fide ego and is surpremely arrogant.  I suspect (and know in a few cases) that people suck up to Scoble because of the reach of his blog, not because he is a valid arbiter of how the industry works or not.

And just before Scoble slams me for calling him arrogant and asks me what I have ever delivered - value to my customers. That's what I deliver. Software that works and makes their job easier.  I don't talk about it and/or boast about it - I just do it.

* Yes, I have an ego too, but I hide it very very very well.

• User profile image
    Minh

I think Rory just hates Scoble shiny new BMW.

• User profile image
    Massif

sirhomer wrote:

Massif wrote:Sorry, sirhomer's Avatar.

You just got in the way.

My avatar is an evil eye. You just have a sick mind.

This is true, and not something I'd ever even try to deny.

• User profile image
    blowdart

sirhomer wrote:

Massif wrote: Sorry, sirhomer's Avatar.

You just got in the way.

My avatar is an evil eye. You just have a sick mind.

I thought it was a toilet bowl.

• User profile image
    Chadk

I find it funny how Scoble keeps going "OMFG SEE I DID xxxxx VIDEOS, NOW I RUN A GREAT BUSINESS THAT IS SO GREAT THAT YOU CANT HANDLE IT, AND IM JUST WAY SMARTER THEN YOU".

I have great respect for what Scoble did for c9. But i think hes going over the border now.

Im a bit afraid that Rory is gonna drop down to his level. For every post scoble did in the comments, just proves Rory's point.

I think its great that Rory stood up, and fighted. Smiley

And no. Channel9 ISNT marketing. Its a community!

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Rossj wrote:

Rossj wrote: Edit: And here is where Scoble shows what he thinks about C9.
    "
    "
    Color me shocked.

Yeah yeah. Of course it is advertising, but it is targeted advertising. You come here to watch videos voluntarily because knowing what is coming up makes your job easier and you get some enjoyment from seeing what is happening behind the scenes.  Scoble however would like you to think you have been tricked into coming here and spending time on C9 whilst being subliminally advertised to.

Sometimes I agree with Scoble, sometimes I don't, but his ego is *incredible*.
    Sure, it was fun to see some videos of things behind the scenes.

Until they turned into 1GB sized videos. I don't have that much free time.

I do think some people have been tricked here. I think it kind of sucks to see a "founder" of the site essentially spilling the beans and saying "yup, it's advertising, nothing more."

[C]

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Beer28 always said Channel 9 was a PR site.

Rossj wrote:
    At least you know Rory isn't fickle, or at least not *as* fickle.  I am glad Rory decided to stand up and confront Scoble (even if I agree that from a distance Scoble might be right).

Go Rory!

"
    "

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.