Coffeehouse Thread

142 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Scoble, Please Read This

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

    Scoble, apparently you aren't getting enough attention? I find it particularly offensive that you would stoop so low as to throw Channel 9 into the fire to stoke your blog traffic. My god, man...

    Channel 9 is NOT overtly ANYTHING. We just created a place for people to communicate freely (Trolls are diminishing the value in this daily, but we will fix that...) and a place for people at Microsoft to introduce and dig into the technologies they make.

    We are NOT marketing. We are NOT advertising. If we HAVE to be something, then we are what NINERS make this place... If you actually watch the videos you should see that we do not market or advertise products; we talk about technology: how it works, why we do what we do (UAC, for example) with the people who think it up, create it, write it, test it.

    Again, bashing Channel 9 to get attention is pretty lame, Scoble. You should be ashamed of yourself. Also, why don't you tell people how much you were NOT involved in C9's creation. C9 was not your idea and you had very little to do with it's advent. You became the self-described video guy because you were not involved in anything else regarding the site, the strategy, regarding the idea. Remember? Videos took off becaue they were a new form of information delivery on the Internet, not because you are a pioneer. And, you didn't even do the first video for C9... Is all of this in your book?

    Don't throw C9 under the bus to build buzz for your brand, Robert.

    This place is still what it's always been: free, unfiltered access to the Microsoft technology cockpit. If we really come off as advertising or marketing these days, then we are doing something wrong. Look, I get how Vista Week, for example, could be seen as marketing or advertising, but if you watch the videos you'll see that they are all technical and, except for my consistent "Vista is designed with the user in mind from kernel to shell" preaching, not advertising, which is by definition technically hollow, just like marketing.

    You've steered your Scoble PR ship into peaceful, pristine waters and dumped your waste. Shame on you, man. You've lost a lot of my respect.

    C

  • User profile image
    Jack Poison

    I've already stoped subscribing to his Blog...

    Not that he (or anyone else) should care about one person..

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    MrJay wrote:
    I don't mean to be a jerk here Charles, but....  you are the same guy who said that Channel 9 doesn't cost Microsoft anything.  This is overtly false at best.

    I wish you would not lie.

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    I also thought that he went way over the border when he stated on how bad C9 is.

    Big respect there charles, for standing up on this subject.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    MrJay wrote:
    I don't mean to be a jerk here Charles, but....  you are the same guy who said that Channel 9 doesn't cost Microsoft anything.  This is overtly false at best.  So you'll have to excuse us if your take on Channel 9 not being about "marketing" or "advertising" is taken with a big grain of salt.

    EDIT:  Not that it matters.  Channel 9 is what it is regardless of much it costs or what the "intended" goal by the people pulling the purse strings is.  It succeeds or fails on it's own because without the community there would be no Channel 9.


    Somebody said MS pays millions of dollars to keep C9 running. I said that's BS.  I still say that's BS.

    C9 is NOT a marketing site. C9 is NOT an advertising site. As I stated, in the end C9 is what NINERS make it.

    Do you have a point?
    C

  • User profile image
    Red5

    MrJay wrote:
    
    PaoloM wrote: 
    MrJay wrote: I don't mean to be a jerk here Charles, but....  you are the same guy who said that Channel 9 doesn't cost Microsoft anything.  This is overtly false at best.

    I wish you would not lie.

    I'm not lying.  foxbar may be an idiot, but he plainly stated:

    foxbar wrote: There are at least 5 people at C9 making 100k per year plus benefits working on a modified copy of community server. The orcsweb server farm is most likley 10k per year. C9 and on10 regularly pay for internet image based ads on sites and blogs of friends for many thousands of dollars each.

    Charles then responded with:
    Charles wrote: Like Sir Homer, you're wrong.

    How am I lying?  I think it's clear that Channel 9 at least costs as much as foxbar guesses at.  It was actually one of the few reasonable things he said in his time here.  Charles denied that this was the case.  Unless Charles was denying some other part of his statement.... but given that the denial was non-specific in nature, it seems fair to assume the statement as a whole was being denied.

    Am I wrong here?

    There are fixed costs with any program.
    Who cares?
    As long as it is mutually beneficial to both parties why does it matter?

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    MrJay wrote:
    
    PaoloM wrote: 
    MrJay wrote: I don't mean to be a jerk here Charles, but....  you are the same guy who said that Channel 9 doesn't cost Microsoft anything.  This is overtly false at best.

    I wish you would not lie.

    I'm not lying.  foxbar may be an idiot, but he plainly stated:

    foxbar wrote: There are at least 5 people at C9 making 100k per year plus benefits working on a modified copy of community server. The orcsweb server farm is most likley 10k per year. C9 and on10 regularly pay for internet image based ads on sites and blogs of friends for many thousands of dollars each.

    Charles then responded with:
    Charles wrote: Like Sir Homer, you're wrong.

    How am I lying?  I think it's clear that Channel 9 at least costs as much as foxbar guesses at.  It was actually one of the few reasonable things he said in his time here.  Charles denied that this was the case.  Unless Charles was denying some other part of his statement.... but given that the denial was non-specific in nature, it seems fair to assume the statement as a whole was being denied.

    Am I wrong here?

    First of all, Charles NEVER said that Channel 9 doesn't cost anything, like you are maliciously claim he did. He said that foxbar, like sirhomer, was wrong. Now, THAT you could claim, but nothing else.

    And it's not clear at all that you (or anyone else outside of Ch9 management) know how much it costs. Care to give us a dollar amount?

    Charles said foxbar was wrong. If you want to know exactly what was wrong with foxbar's statement, then you should ask to Charles what he meant. ANYTHING else is pure fabrication on your part.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    For one thing, foxbar has no idea how many people are on the C9 team (defined as the team that keeps C9 running, creating content primarily...). Therefore, his math is pointless. Of course, not everybody on the C9 team works on C9 full time. Then, there's the fact that not everybody on the C9 team makes at least 100K annually. Should I continue or do you get the point? This isn't interesting. Move along.

    C

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    MrJay wrote:
    It seems obvious to everybody except for Charles that C9 is likely costing Microsoft a substanial amount of money

    Does it? And this amount of money is exactly what foxbar was implying? Or was he... *gasp* wrong?

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    MrJay wrote:
    
    Charles wrote: For one thing, foxbar has no idea how many people are on the C9 team (defined as the team that keeps C9 running, creating content primarily...). Therefore, his math is pointless. Of course, not everybody on the C9 team works on C9 full time. Then, there's the fact that not everybody on the C9 team makes at least 100K annually. Should I continue or do you get the point? This isn't interesting. Move along.

    C

    Yeah sure.  So your team members living in the Redmond area, aren't making at least 100K (including benefits)?  Heh.  Right.  I suppose you'll tell me that some of you drive a yugo to work and that you live in a shoe with seven children somewhere.

    Stop with the FUD, Jay....

  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

    Thanks for setting the record straight, C. I can't figure Scoble out anyway.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Smells like war here... I have always seen Channel 9 (the forums + wiki + screencasts + vids) as something to hang out, have fun and learn something new.

    As in the very first video here was stated: this is a site to have people look into the cockpit. Showing them new exciting, interesting and funny stuff; giving software a face (or more Wink)

    C9 is the community (the niners)!

    Like Charles always says:
    KEEP ON POSTING!

    Smiley

  • User profile image
    Red5

    MrJay wrote:
    
    Red5 wrote: There are fixed costs with any program.
    Who cares?
    As long as it is mutually beneficial to both parties why does it matter?

    The denial of these fixed costs is why I care.  It seems obvious to everybody except for Charles that C9 is likely costing Microsoft a substanial amount of money (although to be fair substanial is a relative term and in the grand scheme of Microsoft C9 is costing next to nothing).

    Go crawl back under the bridge you came from, Troll.
    He never denied any fixed costs. Only an idiot moron could derive such drivel.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    I know exactly how much C9 costs MS each year and it is not in the millions...

    Stay on topic, please.

    C

  • User profile image
    Code​Monkey666

    I come to channel9 for the exchange of information, the sofies that showcase technology with behind the scenes workings also the community that post and discuss things.

     

    Scooble has become drunk off VC cash and lost touch with the little guy (flavors of dotcombust). I get the feeling I am being told what to like. Not much discussion going on there but the ever louder drumbeat of marketdom.

  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

    By that logic, Mr. Jay, the next thing we'll see is how Redmond employees routinely visit food shelves, swipe hotel towels, and run extension cords to neighbor's outlets because they can't afford electricity!

    Sad

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    MrJay wrote:
    
    PaoloM wrote: 
    MrJay wrote: 
    Charles wrote: For one thing, foxbar has no idea how many people are on the C9 team (defined as the team that keeps C9 running, creating content primarily...). Therefore, his math is pointless. Of course, not everybody on the C9 team works on C9 full time. Then, there's the fact that not everybody on the C9 team makes at least 100K annually. Should I continue or do you get the point? This isn't interesting. Move along.

    C

    Yeah sure.  So your team members living in the Redmond area, aren't making at least 100K (including benefits)?  Heh.  Right.  I suppose you'll tell me that some of you drive a yugo to work and that you live in a shoe with seven children somewhere.

    Stop with the FUD, Jay....

    What FUD?  There are at least three full-time C9 employees that I know of:  HumanCompiler, Charles and Rory.  Now are you honestly going to tell me that these guys live and work in an area like Redmond, Washington for one of the richest companies in the world and they aren't bringing in at least 100K a year including benefits?

    Do you take me for some kind of fool?  Unless all three people found themselves at the bottom of the infamous Microsoft stack-racking system for years on end, I can't imagine that this would be the case.  Next thing I know, you'll  be telling me that Steve Jobs really does make only one dollar a year as CEO of Apple.

    Do you know EXACTLY how much money these guys are making?

    If so, please be specific, if not, it's FUD.

  • User profile image
    ixdatul

    It never ceases to amaze me how one, well placed comment, from one person can change the way people think about something...

    First off, last i checked, this thread was directly towards the shame an x co-worker feels towards a previous comrade now turncoat.

    Second, look around the site, how many adds, popups, "buy me now" signs do you see? None.

    I've watched my fair share of C9 vids and I have to say, i've never had an immediate "i need to buy this product" moment. Whereas I have had a great many "i really want to code something up now" moments, based on the technology shown, or the topics discussed.

    Honestly, I don't see one thing that's changed here, the vids are still good, the topics (- trolls) are still informative or helpful.

    Third, do you REALLY care how much this program costs Microsoft? I know I don't, I just care that it is maintained and operational. So don't care, because you're not going to find out, and more to the point, ITS RUDE TO ASK SOMEONE WHAT THEY MAKE!

    Please keep on topic and stop adding fuel to a worthless fire,

    Thankies,

    Ix

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.