Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Mix07 Free Copy of Expression Studio

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • odujosh

First I like to preface this post with a disclaimer. I am going to Mix and thus IMHO its a worthwhile conference to go to.

Now on to the post:
    VisitMix.com News just posted that all registrants will get a 'free' copy of Expression Studio (MSRP 599 USD btw) My question when we hear X copies of Expression were sold will it include the number who got 'free' copies at conferences like mix? Also is this built into the cost of the Mix07 conference or are they really free?

I want a real answer not 40 posts of conjecture and arguing over of the validity of my questions:) So please avoid the temptation.

• Chadk

Im sorry for off-topic posting. But im not suprised.

Someone in here, a few weeks ago, actually made a pos in a thread, just joking like "haha, mix attendes are likely getting expression studio.. "

And it came true! ExpressionlessPerplexed

• irascian

The most interesting thing about this announcement (I predicted it BEFORE the Vista giveaway announcement which I foolishly assumed meant Expression wouldn't be ready in time) is that it implies that Studio will be RTM very soon.

As for the original questions - who cares whether the numbers count towards sales or if they're really free or have been included in the cost (experience of previous giveaways like this would indicate they're buried somewhere in somebody's "marketing" budget rather than "hidden" as part of the conference fee)?

It's a generous offer and one participants should be thankful for. It'll be interesting to see how many of those copies actually get used for anything other than a quick "demo". Like any quality tool they require a great deal of time and investment to learn - that's the REAL cost, and I'm not convinced there's enough for the typical designer to entice him away from what he already knows.

• raymond

Chadk wrote:

Im sorry for off-topic posting. But im not suprised.

Someone in here, a few weeks ago, actually made a pos in a thread, just joking like "haha, mix attendes are likely getting expression studio.. "

And it came true!

Microsoft Mix 07 May Surprise?

Posted by raymond // Tue, Feb 27, 2007 5:20 PM

Carl Franklin hinted at a Microsoft Mix 07 May Surprise Anouncement today on his .dotnetrocks show.

http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showNum=216

http://visitmix.com/

Even Carl and Richard do not know what the May surprise is!

Unbelieveable.

My guesses:

1. Expression Studio 2007 Released To Manufacturing

2. A "Free Copy" of Expression Studio 2007 given to all attendess

3. A "Free Copy" of Beta for Visual Studio 2008 given to all attendess

4. Release of WPF/E

5.  Next version of Expression Studio will add two new applications, Edit ( a Non-linear editor for video) and Effects (motion graphics).

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=286645

Eagle Posted:

Super Secret Offer - FREE Windows Vista Ultimate

raymond thread:

Would love to attend MIX 07, but when I added up the cost of airfare, hotel room, registration, and lost pay, I will have to pass.

A free copy of the Expression Suite would interesting, if it were ready to go RTM.

Thanks for the heads-up.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=283141#283141

Way to go Microsoft Marketing and the Expression Studio Team!  Smiley

Cool

• mswanson

First, I'm glad to see all of the excitement around MIX07! This is shaping up to be an amazing event, and I hope I get the chance to see everyone there.

I'm responsible for the "bits" we hand out at the MIX07 conference, and I thought I'd take a moment to answer a couple of the questions that have been asked on this thread.

Q. "...when we hear X copies of Expression were sold will it include the number who got 'free' copies at conferences like mix?"
    A. No. It’s a Special Edition and separate from what will be available to the general public.

Q. "Also is this built into the cost of the Mix07 conference or are they really free?"
    A. They are really free. It is not part of the conference fee. Although the Expression team was already considering a giveaway, customer feedback always has an impact.

Hope these answers help.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.