Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

C# (2.0 & 3.0) to HTML - What does Robert Scoble use?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    WiredCoder

Lot's of tools, plug-ins & web pages out there but most look old (at best) or completely abandoned.

I've been using this FormatToHTML macro that I found on CodingHorror.com but I would like something better.

Any recomendations?

EDIT: Crap! My post is next to a post by Robert Scoble.... Nobody will ever see my post. Location, location, location!

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Scoble is not (and to my knowledge never claimed to be) a real coder. He's a video-magic man. He does great interviews, that's it. He speaks to the coders, and as such know ABOUT coding...but doesn't actual write code himself. But I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

If I'm wanting to make code look really nice and expend a little bit of effort, I'll copy the code into jEdit and run the Code2HTML plugin on it (with CSS disabled, in the case of a site like C9).  It seems to produce pretty nice results, and the coloring is customizable (takes the same coloring as jEdit uses in it's text area).

Not quite as fast as copy-pase out of VS (okay, really slow), but looks nicer and avoids the whole "Paragraphs for line breaks" thing Visual Studio will pull if you copy out of it.

Works for more languages than just C#, too (C++, Java, XML/XHTML, VHDL, you name it).

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) {
        Form prefs = new PreferencesForm();
        DialogResult result = prefs.ShowDialog(this);
        //done with dialog, dispose it
        prefs.Dispose();
        if (result == DialogResult.OK) {
            updateData();
        }
    }

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <current_observation version="1.0"
         xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
         xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.weather.gov/...observation.xsd">
        <credit>NOAA's National Weather Service</credit>
        <credit_URL>http://weather.gov/</credit_URL>
        <disclaimer_url>http://weather.gov/disclaimer.html</disclaimer_url>
        <copyright_url>http://weather.gov/disclaimer.html</copyright_url>
        <privacy_policy_url>http://weather.gov/notice.html</privacy_policy_url>
    </current_observation>

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

I used to build Web sites and did CSS and such. I also was an editor at Visual Basic Programmers' Journal, planned conferences for programmers, both Visual Studio and Web, and learned a lot about the programming industry and a little bit about code there. But, yeah, I'm not a pro or anything close to it.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Glad to see you've given your avatar a face Smiley I was getting a little depressed that you were still using the generic nine-guy avatar Smiley You're Scoble, dammit, you need an avatar!

• User profile image
    WiredCoder

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Scoble is not (and to my knowledge never claimed to be) a real coder. He's a video-magic man. He does great interviews, that's it. He speaks to the coders, and as such know ABOUT coding...but doesn't actual write code himself. But I could be wrong - wouldn't be the first time.

I know. I just put his name in the subject because my post was next to his and I figured that the Robert & Rory battle was about to break into a new salvo and my post was would become a victim of proximity.

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

Speaking of Rory, I just went over to his blog for my nightly spanking and just found an old post. So disappointing. I was enjoying getting spanked. I hear it's good for traffic.

G, D, & R.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I've been using the CopySourceAsHTML plug in for Visual Studio.  I recently had to re-install, but found the web site dead.  It appears to be back now though. You can choose to apply CSS, or embed the formatting directly into the HTML.

Herbie

• User profile image
    raymond

RobertScoble wrote:
    I used to build Web sites and did CSS and such. I also was an editor at Visual Basic Programmers' Journal, planned conferences for programmers, both Visual Studio and Web, and learned a lot about the programming industry and a little bit about code there. But, yeah, I'm not a pro or anything close to it.

You must have coded some JavaScript?

Like your new picture Robert.

Cool

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

What I'm wondering: What would Brian Boitano use?

• User profile image
    Kevin Daly

RobertScoble wrote:
    Speaking of Rory, I just went over to his blog for my nightly spanking and just found an old post. So disappointing. I was enjoying getting spanked. I hear it's good for traffic.

G, D, & R.

Smiley

Good God Robert, don't tell me you attended a British public school?

• User profile image
    Rory

RobertScoble wrote:

My apologies.

I'm on vacation right now, and the girl I'm with really doesn't like it when I get on the computer. I disappear into it, and that... bugs her.

I promise to do better when I'm back.

As for the old post - I didn't earn my readership by scanning all the other sites and trying to post "news" before anybody else saw it.

Most of what I write ages very nicely. It's meant to be that way. It's why I get so many emails from people who say they've gone through the archives and read everything.

Not something I'd ever do, but it should drive home the point that Neopoleon isn't a "news" blog. It isn't even really a blog at all. I use blogging software because it's convenient, but I prefer to avoid calling my site a "blog." I don't want to keep company with the scene.

Now, about the spankings, I could do better. I'm sorry for letting you down.

Fortunately, you left enough material in that one post alone (I believe you know what I'm talking about) to fill a desk calendar with daily tidbits of the evidence of your genius.

It would be quite inspirational, I think.

Imagine getting into work on Monday morning, feeling down, and wanting a lift. What better than something like this to get you pumped for the week:

"I read a bajillion blogs and I have links."

Amazing.

Granted, I was paraphrasing, but the essence of your wit is evident. Your authority is established. Your credibility... unquestionable.

I must go now - my companion would like to see a movie, and I would like to satisfy her desire - but I'll be around. I don't have much time to respond, but I've been reading everything on my phone.

Tah for now, Scoble.

I love you.

• User profile image
    WiredCoder

Rory wrote:
    Splenda makes sh*t taste better!

Rory was here... My favorite Google-Weirdo!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.