Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XAML/WPF Usage

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsrfc58

Are any developers using XAML seriously yet? Are you shipping any products with WPF functionality? I'm curious to see what people have come up with, beyond the typical MS examples/demos I've seen.

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

Here's a list of current WPF applications from the wiki: http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/WPF.ApplicationPortfolio

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

This thread reminds me of previous threads, a while ago, that asked if anyone is actually building applications in .NET.

• User profile image
    Rossj

jsrfc58 wrote:
    Are any developers using XAML seriously yet? Are you shipping any products with WPF functionality? I'm curious to see what people have come up with, beyond the typical MS examples/demos I've seen.

Not using XAML, but have shipped/am shipping a WPF app as the front end for our digital signage solution.  On paper it was a fantastic idea, but basically two issues mean that it is borked or what we want to do.

A little bit about my issue is here, but there is little point talking about it except for informational purposes because it will never be fixed.

• User profile image
    footballism

TommyCarlier wrote:
    This thread reminds me of previous threads, a while ago, that asked if anyone is actually building applications in .NET.

There is still no non-trivial .NET application shipped yet. Neither Microsoft or other Companies have shipped any significent applications written in managed code.

Sheva

• User profile image
    harumscarum

footballism wrote:

TommyCarlier wrote: This thread reminds me of previous threads, a while ago, that asked if anyone is actually building applications in .NET.

There is still no non-trivial .NET application shipped yet. Neither Microsoft or other Companies have shipped any significent applications written in managed code.

Sheva

What do you consider significant?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Footballism, I don't agree here. There are quite a lot of .NET applications shipped. Paint.NET is pretty significant, Windows Live Writer is another one. Also think of ASP.NET: how many websites are built on ASP.NET? And speaking for myself: our company has been building .NET applications since 2003, and I wouldn't call them insignificant.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Footballism, I don't agree here. There are quite a lot of .NET applications shipped. Paint.NET is pretty significant, Windows Live Writer is another one. Also think of ASP.NET: how many websites are built on ASP.NET? And speaking for myself: our company has been building .NET applications since 2003, and I wouldn't call them insignificant.

I'm on my second significant .NET application, by which I mean 100% .NET, more that 1 year development effort. One was a shrinkwrap product (for a vertical market) while the other is bespoke.

As for WPF?  Not in the forseeable future.  Now I'm doing bespoke, it's up to the customer to decide when they want that and I don't think they will (no business value).
    Hasn't stopped me playing with the Expression Blend betas, though.

Herbie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.