Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Since we have so many Linux users in here: a nice converstion

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Which distribution do you like the most?  I personally have 5 I play with, Xubuntu, Zenwalk, RHEL 5, SLED 10 and Oracle Enterprise Linux.  I personally like Zenwalk and Xubuntu as my favorites of them all but which one in here is the favorite?  for my traditional UNIX boxes I have BSD and Solaris 10.  I also have an older AIX box but I dont use it much.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I mostly install GNU/Linux to either mess around with or to code on and build Haiku.

For playing around I tend to stick with what get's me up and running the quickest which usually tends to be Ubuntu. I like the mix between the relative stability of Debian and the "bleeding edge" mentality of OpenSuSE.

For coding I stick with a minimal, console-based enviroment I've cobbled together on top of Arch. No huge fan of their packaging system but I like it's bare-bone style and ease of managment.

Edit: I also have three Unix systems gathering dust in a closet, one DEC Alpha PWS500AU running Tru64 and two SGI Indigo2 of which one is running IRIX 6.5 and the other one's for spare parts.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

When I test for portability I run Slackware since I actually have a clue what its doing especially with the init scripts.

• User profile image
    TimP

Cut my teeth on Fedora Core 2 and 3 back in late 2004. I used Fedora exclusively until August 2005. Switched to Ubuntu Server on a whim in October 2005 because it was the newest distro at the time and the only one which supported NVIDIA SATA. I really liked the Debian style package management and the vast amount of packages so I installed it on my desktop machine, too. Around June 2006 I lost some of my enamoration with Ubuntu 6.06 due to hardware issues and went SUSE for the summer. With 6.10 I'm back to Ubuntu and looking forward to 7.04.

On the UNIX side, I've used Solaris at school and AIX on an RS/6000 I have. I've barely touched Tru64 and HP-UX. Of the four, AIX is probably my favorite. I like smitty a lot. Dabbled with the BSDs but haven't used any particular one long enough to have much of an opinion.

On the fringe, not really Unix, but POSIX compatible, is OpenVMS. I've run that on emulated VAX as well as a real Alphastation and I think it's pretty cool, but I'm not nearly as comfortable with it as I am with Linux/Unix, although I'd like to get better with it.

• User profile image
    n_lien

I tried RedHat about 5 or 6 years ago and currently use OpenSUSE 10.0, which I'm a fan of. I've also worked with Ubuntu and while I like the apt-get functionality, I am under the impression that it tries to be too easy for new users and makes some features more complicated. I haven't worked with it enough to be sure of that, but that's just my impression, especially with scanners and the fact that it didn't have the ability to compile software from source until installing make and a compiler. As for Unix I don't usually work with it and only have tried HP-UX which I can't really say much about

• User profile image
    pftqg

My personal preference is Debian (for servers, but I haven't had a linux desktop since I left my job at a university), and it's what I use for my personal servers and the asterisk (voip pabx) at the office. For work we use RHEL, but that decision was made long before I joined.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

People here dont run Linux.  They think of it as a toy.  Serious Linux users dont come to Channel 9.  No serious computer scientist uses Windows.

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

corona_coder wrote:

Serious Linux users dont come to Channel 9

So that makes you... ?

• User profile image
    jb43081

corona_coder wrote:
    No serious computer scientist uses Windows.

And your credentials and authority to make such a statment are....?

• User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

This is my first post on Channel 9.  I've been watching videos and reading the forums for a long time but the abhorrent, spiteful attitude of a certain "corona_coder" has forced me to make a post.

Dear corona_coder,

Personally I think your attitude stinks.  Before you get on your "I'm so much better than you because I use Linux" soapbox can I just say that I run Linux too. Ubuntu 6.10 and Whitebox to be precise. I work for a small company in the UK and look after their IT infrastructure.  We have 4 servers here each running Ubuntu and we have Linux on the majority of our desktops.  Some users are running Windows 2000, we also have some Macintosh's in our design platform. We all communicate via Samba and NFS.

On my desk I have 4 machines each with differing operating systems : Mac OS 10.4, WhiteBox Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (SP4). No one operating system is better than the other. All have their plus points, all have their minuses.

When you say serious computer scientists don't use Windows does that include me?  I would say that I'm a serious computer scientist - having a first class honours degree in Computer Science. Hell, I remember when doing my degree we focused an awful lot on Windows NT4.0 and the upcoming NT5.0 (Windows 2000). I had to read David Solomon's and Mark Russinovich's "Inside Microsoft Windows 2000" from cover to cover and memorise to pass one of my vital exams. So I'm not a computer scientist?

I think you really do need to come down from your high horse mate. I love Linux just as much as you do but I really don't see the point of coming on a forum like this with the main intention of winding people up.  First of all it's very childish and second it's not fair.  We all feel very passionate about what we do. Yes, that includes the Microsoft guys too.

The majority of the world uses Windows and will do for an awful long time yet.  Deal with it. If you want to get the message across that you think Linux is a much better platform than I think you can do it so much better and in a much more grown up manner. 

I've been pushing Linux for years and seeing clowns like you come onto forums like this and behave the way you do makes me sick!

You came on here not long ago and declared that you were making your last ever post on channel 9.  For the sake of the Microsoft guys here and also the vast majority of decent Linux users, please do send us your last post. 

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I like Ubuntu. It's no nonsense, easy to setup and maintain. I also like SuSE.

I used to like Fedora, but the mess with upgrades has turned me off them. Plus apt-get > yum anyday. Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

I have an Ubuntu 6.06 LTS install on a secondary hard drive on this computer. I like it because it is really user-friendly (although there are still major differences between this and the Windows XP experience), and it is generally easy to operate.

I have had problems with it, but that is probably due to the fact that in Linux one does tend to have to know a lot more about how things work than when using Windows XP. (One example is the "xorg.conf" file to set up multiple monitors; it took me a while to do it, when in Windows XP it takes about 30 seconds).

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

SpongeBob, I'd like to welcome you and your kicking corona_coder's àss. I think you should post here more often; your attitude towards technology could have a positive influence on the discussions on C9.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Fedora Core 6
    Gentoo
    Debian

It is hard to say which one is "the best". They are all different and I like them all. My main computer has FC6 so I'm using it mostly.

I have PC-BSD and OpenSolaris installed also.

• User profile image
    corona_coder

SpongeBobSquarePants wrote:
    This is my first post on Channel 9.  I've been watching videos and reading the forums for a long time but the abhorrent, spiteful attitude of a certain "corona_coder" has forced me to make a post.

Dear corona_coder,

Personally I think your attitude stinks.  Before you get on your "I'm so much better than you because I use Linux" soapbox can I just say that I run Linux too. Ubuntu 6.10 and Whitebox to be precise. I work for a small company in the UK and look after their IT infrastructure.  We have 4 servers here each running Ubuntu and we have Linux on the majority of our desktops.  Some users are running Windows 2000, we also have some Macintosh's in our design platform. We all communicate via Samba and NFS.

And you come here why?  Personally I think you are full of it but which ones perform the best.  Im willing to bet your Linux boxes.

On my desk I have 4 machines each with differing operating systems : Mac OS 10.4, WhiteBox Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (SP4). No one operating system is better than the other. All have their plus points, all have their minuses.

Oh great use that weak a$$ excuse when you try to counter someones argument.  All have their pluses and minuses, well Windows has more minuses than pluses my friend.

When you say serious computer scientists don't use Windows does that include me?  I would say that I'm a serious computer scientist - having a first class honours degree in Computer Science. Hell, I remember when doing my degree we focused an awful lot on Windows NT4.0 and the upcoming NT5.0 (Windows 2000). I had to read David Solomon's and Mark Russinovich's "Inside Microsoft Windows 2000" from cover to cover and memorise to pass one of my vital exams. So I'm not a computer scientist?

Education is so highly over rated these days.

I think you really do need to come down from your high horse mate. I love Linux just as much as you do but I really don't see the point of coming on a forum like this with the main intention of winding people up.  First of all it's very childish and second it's not fair.  We all feel very passionate about what we do. Yes, that includes the Microsoft guys too.

I have found Linux admins to be far more passionate and far more knowledgeable than their Windows counterparts.

The majority of the world uses Windows and will do for an awful long time yet.  Deal with it. If you want to get the message across that you think Linux is a much better platform than I think you can do it so much better and in a much more grown up manner. 

Not if government agencies keep banning it.

You came on here not long ago and declared that you were making your last ever post on channel 9.  For the sake of the Microsoft guys here and also the vast majority of decent Linux users, please do send us your last post. 

Am I the only one thats hearing violins here?

[/quote]

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Erisan wrote:
    Fedora Core 6
    Gentoo
    Debian

It is hard to say which one is "the best". They are all different and I like them all. My main computer has FC6 so I'm using it mostly.

Didnt the patron of this thread claim he uses PC-BSD and OpenSolaris

Erisan=rjdohnert?

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

OpenSuse running on a Toshiba Laptop.  I tried Ubuntu 6, but I couldn't get the wireless card to work under that.  Before that, I tried Ubunto 5.something, Fedora and Slackware.

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

corona_coder wrote:

Erisan wrote: Fedora Core 6
    Gentoo
    Debian

Didnt the patron of this thread claim he uses PC-BSD and OpenSolaris

Erisan=rjdohnert?

And didn't you say sometime ago that it was your "last post"?

beer28=blatzcoder=thumbtacks=corona_coder?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.