Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Scoble and PodTech on Justin.tv

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Robert Scoble was just on www.Justin.tv - anybody watching? I know I am, Chadk was, and I had told HumanCompiler about it, but wasn't sure it he was able to get in and see it.

What do you guys think of this thing? I'm considering doing it on weekends, since that's when my phone-minutes would be free Smiley

• User profile image
    raymond

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Robert Scoble was just on www.Justin.tv - anybody watching? I know I am, Chadk was, and I had told HumanCompiler about it, but wasn't sure it he was able to get in and see it.

What do you guys think of this thing? I'm considering doing it on weekends, since that's when my phone-minutes would be free

What does your wife think?

Boring.

Cool

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

@Raymond,

She's not exactely fond of the idea. She has already given me a firm "NO" when I asked about rigging up a room or two to broadcast periodically Smiley But if I'm out on the weekend...why not Smiley I started something not-as-personal-yet-somewhat-similar a couple weeks ago over at www.SampsonResume.com/#spy where I upload a screenshot of my desktop every 30 seconds.

Jonathan

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

MrJay wrote:
    Dumbest idea I've ever seen. I guess I'm just out of touch as this is the first time I've heard about this. Pretty big waste of time imho.

What is so dumb about this? You read blogs don't you? You watch TV don't you? WHat is so dumb about this?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

MrJay wrote:
    Is this what the internet has come to? Watching some guy eat, sleep, piss and do whatever? I would worry about what they are going to do when he gets laid, but it's evident that he will not be getting laid anytime soon. I mean the guy is walking around as if he was "Justin of Borg" with that rig on his head. And as the site claims, it is 24/7. Like any well adjusted woman is going to be into that.

Okay, bit of a background. Justin and his team are starting up a new media company in Silicon Valley. Ever watched the personal life of a new startup? Now you can. Just interviews people - today he talked to Robert Scoble, and tons of other PodTech employees, not to mention walked through the entire building on a guided tour. Justin is into tech and development, so while he's sitting down eating chinese food with his friends, he's also talking about web development, etc.

His life is one big Channel9 video...Yes, this IS what the web is coming to. The web has gotten more and more personal as it has evolved over the years - I think it's great that Justin has decided to commit 24/7 to the web. If he's doing interesting things, I'll likely be interested in watching.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

MrJay wrote:
    You scare me man. And frankly it sounds like you might be scaring your wife as well. This business plan, if you can call it that, is crap. The whole thing is a joke. I bet they are off the net within 6 months.

Ah, well, the All-Knowing MrJay has spoken...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

MrJay wrote:
    This coming from the guy that thinks Alexa somehow knows how much traffic everybody else on the net is receiving? Heh.

Ah, red-herrings too...wow, you're really on the ball tonight, aren't you?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

MrJay wrote:
    If you want to prove that justin.tv has a chance, identify a single revenue source. I'm willing to bet you can't. There aren't even ads on the site for crying out loud.
    1. PayPal Donations
    2. Bawls.com
    3. Zipcar.com
    4. Lingr.com
    5. Ensemble-Consulting.com
    6. Justin.TV Store
    Had you viewed the page, you would have seen that they already have sponsors...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Ah, so you're saying if a service or product doesn't have BIG funding it won't go anywhere? What about YouTube? They didn't immediately have funding, yet look at them today.

I think YOU need to take a step back and check out how companies work. They often times start out in the garage, and then blow up into success.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

MrJay wrote:
    It's got nothing to do with funding and everything to do with HOW ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE MONEY. A business exists for a single purpose: To make money. These guys are clearly out of their league when it comes to making money because from the hour I wasted watching their meeting tonight, they are totally clueless.

Again, you obviously knowing everything.

• User profile image
    kettch

MrJay wrote:
    It's got nothing to do with funding and everything to do with HOW ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE MONEY. A business exists for a single purpose: To make money.

I haven't done too much digging around, but it looks to me like their business plan isn't the show itself. Their company is all about the technologies that they are creating to produce and distribute the show.

Only time will tell, but I think that there is potential in this kind of technology, beyond just entertainment.

MrJay wrote:
    These guys are clearly out of their league when it comes to making money because from the hour I wasted watching their meeting tonight, they are totally clueless.

By your own admission, it would seem that they are not quite as clueless as you think.

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

MrJay wrote:
    Sponsors are not a revenue source, especially considering the fact that their logos are invisible on most screens out there until you scroll down (1440x900 here). And Paypal donations... if you think that is a revenue source for the next great business... you have a lot to learn buddy.

Huh? Sponsors not a revenue source? You've gotta be kidding me.

I make more from sponsorships than I made at Microsoft.

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

>Only time will tell, but I think that there is potential in this kind of technology, beyond just entertainment.Let's just be honest: (I need to watch my language)!

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

Darn, since when is p 0 r N a bad word on Channel 9? Methinks Charles turned up the censorship filter a bit too much. Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

RobertScoble wrote:
    >Only time will tell, but I think that there is potential in this kind of technology, beyond just entertainment.Let's just be honest: (I need to watch my language)!

Certainly. I find the thing to be very interesting. I mean, tonight there was a very heated debate over gadgets for their site. I mean, the guys were getting mad! Cussing, and yelling; not suitable for a child, but I found it very entertaining Smiley

It's what I've been waiting for. I've always wanted a tv channel geared towards developers. A tv channel that isn't worried about upsetting corporate suits, you know.

There's alot of potential in this show I think. You should go out and interview the guys for PodTech.

• User profile image
    kettch

RobertScoble wrote:

Honestly, that never occured to me. I was thinking more in the areas of real time interactive distributed training for fields where hauling along a bunch of students might not be a good idea.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I'm saying go for it, John. It sounds like a fun experience, just make sure to clear it with the missus first. Smiley

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Yah, I watched some of it.

My take on this idea of streaming video from your headcam 24/7 is next to pointless without permalinks.  If there's no really easy way for him to "tag" or create links or highlights of things like "talked to XXX here" or "went to XXX here" (IN NEXT TO REAL TIME), then it's just a TV show, with much crappier quality than TV and nothing interesting unless I catch it at JUST the right time.

I could see something like this being successful, but defintely not in its current form...IMHO.  Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.