Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Channel 9 article - Wired

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

I haven't read it yet, but if you have please feel free to post a synopsis.

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

Rossj wrote:
    I haven't read it yet, but if you have please feel free to post a synopsis.

You bugger, I was just posting about this... had to add the Techcrunch take and a interesting leaked document. That relates to C9. Jeff,Charles etc.. mentioned.

The Techcrunch Post

TechCrunch wrote:

Wired Contributing Editor Fred Vogelstein received an interesting and inadvertantly sent email from Microsoft’s PR firm, Waggener Edstrom. The contents of the email were Waggener’s internal notes on Vogelstein and how to work with him.

PDF Download

In all; interesting read.

• User profile image
    Massif

It doesn't seem to say anything I didn't already know. Plus I'm confused by the tagline "Gimme a B! Gimme an L!..." oh wait, blog... that's where that's going.

Funny though, I'd never heard of Lenn Pryor before.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Nice article. I liked it!

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

The article is good, and casts Channel9 and MS in a positive light, except the bit at the end, but it's a little bit naive to think that MS would not have involvement in PR when a big interview piece is coming up. 

The file on the reporter just tells me that the PR team at MS does it's research, and tries to prepare people who are not necessarily trained to be spokespeople against potentially putting their foot in their mouth.  There is no indication, although it is implied a bit, that PR is always working in the shadows.  The real truth is more along the lines of, PR is always in the background, like the Secret Service, trying to protect MS engineers from the media, but only getting involved when they have to.  I hope!

Cheers!

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Thanks for the link...interesting read. The last paragraph is intriguing...

Wired wrote:
    While working with me on a story about its newfound openness, Microsoft and its PR agency were furiously scurrying behind the scenes to control the message.

• User profile image
    blowdart

But Scooble says it was all him. [6]

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Too bad we couldn't get some video footage of those initial "confrontations" with the PR people in the hallways of Redmond. Hopefully no punches were thrown. :O

• User profile image
    jeffsand

As many previous team members have indicated, Lenn's favorite pronoun was "I".   I've posted my experience with the story over on my blog.

• User profile image
    Rossj

jeffsand wrote:

As many previous team members have indicated, Lenn's favorite pronoun was "I".   

Given Scoble's propensity for doing the same thing I am surprised there wasn't a huge clash of ego's at C9 ...  Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

blowdart wrote:
    But Scooble says it was all him.

Ye... I found that part also sad! Especially when you read that it wasn't his idea at all and that he was only the video guy (nothing more nothing less).

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

littleguru wrote:

blowdart wrote:But Scooble says it was all him.

Ye... I found that part also sad! Especially when you read that it wasn't his idea at all and that he was only the video guy (nothing more nothing less).

I talked with Fred for two hours and he used only a couple of quotes. I explained in depth the parts that Bryn, Charles, Jeff, Lenn, David, all played. He used none of that.

• User profile image
    raymond

Richard.Hein wrote:
    The article is good, and casts Channel9 and MS in a positive light, except the bit at the end, but it's a little bit naive to think that MS would not have involvement in PR when a big interview piece is coming up. 

The file on the reporter just tells me that the PR team at MS does it's research, and tries to prepare people who are not necessarily trained to be spokespeople against potentially putting their foot in their mouth.  There is no indication, although it is implied a bit, that PR is always working in the shadows.  The real truth is more along the lines of, PR is always in the background, like the Secret Service, trying to protect MS engineers from the media, but only getting involved when they have to.  I hope!

Cheers!

I suspect Marketing and PR as well as legal are involved in the vetting of every interview.

Rarely, but occassionaly, they get accidently caught on camera, some times they are even introduced.

For example see these videos:

Dynamic Developer Duo: Sarah Parra and Kati Iceva from the Data Programmability Team  (1 minute 20 seconds in to 1 minute 44 seconds far left of screen)

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=288648

IE 7: What's new in Beta 2 Preview ("Marketing Policewoman" introduced at about the 7 minute and 05 seconds in to 7 minute and 35 seconds)

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=159460

Robert Scoble called them the "marketing police" and asked  the woman "cop" from Marketing to introduced herself.Wink

I thought Robert handled it very well as did the woman from Marketing. Big Smile

Still miss Scoble's laugh.

Cool

PS Idea for followup interview for the Woman In Technology series--Woman Marketing Managers: Keeping Channel 9 Videos Out of Trouble!

• User profile image
    Charles

No, Raymond, PR does not review any of our interviews. We approach them when we see a potential problem. Other than that, Channel 9 is just like an employee blog in the sense that we do not get permission to post from corporate PR...

Obviously, sometimes the product teams want to take a look before we release, but that's actually not too common these days (was much more the case in the early days).

C

• User profile image
    Charles

In my opinion, Fred is a pretty bad reporter... He got a lot wrong (I don't feel like getting into it. Read Jeff's blog...) in terms of specifics and cast four members of the original team as videographers. WTF? 

And what about Shadle? He designed the 9 Guy and the first two versions of the site! 

The drama at the beginning was not apparent to anybody but Lenn it seems... Remember, Sanjay, who is one of Microsoft's most powerful execs, was thrilled with the idea of Channel 9 from the very beginning. We didn't have to develop C9 in a bunker and we never cared what Marketing or PR thought about what we were doing (not that they really cared, to be honest)... Not sure what Lenn is talking about.

And, finally, Fred didn't pay enough homage to Niners. Simply, without you, there would be no Channel 9. Period. 

C

• User profile image
    raymond

Charles wrote:
    No, Raymond, PR does not review any of our interviews. We approach them when we see a potential problem. Other than that, Channel 9 is just like an employee blog in the sense that we do not get permission to post from corporate PR...

Obviously, sometimes the product teams want to take a look before we release, but that's actually not too common these days (was much more the case in the early days).

C

Thank you for the clarification.

Did you ever repost the ADO.NET video discussing object relationship mapping and entities that you posted and then took down several hours latter.

I cannot find it.

I thought it was an excellent interview with the team.

In case you missed it, Jimmy Nilsson noticed the deletion of the video as well ( 29 minutes 10 seconds in to 31 minutes 13 seconds) and blogged about it:

Show #191 | 8/29/2006 (66 minutes)

Jimmy Nilsson on Domain Driven Design

http://www.dotnetrocks.com/default.aspx?showNum=191

Watch out for those black helicopters, they do not make a sound. Wink

Cool

• User profile image
    Minh

raymond wrote:

Did you ever repost the ADO.NET video discussing object relationship mapping and entities that you posted and then took down several hours latter....

Once SoapBox goes live & allow the public in, you can do a simple search. Wink

I din't think it was anything revolutionary that would command a conspiracy.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Charles wrote:
    We didn't have to develop C9 in a bunker and we never cared what Marketing or PR thought about what we were doing

But, at the end of the day, a bunch of rebels fighting the evil empire makes for a more exciting story. I think Lenn's tales of gung ho attitude were part of the appeal of C9 in the early days, regardless of truth.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.