Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista DHCP errors, why and how do I fix them?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

    Every so often Vista will say I only have local connectivity. I see this error repeating in my event log.

    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The following error occurred:
    The operation was canceled by the user.. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

    I have an Abit Airpace PCIe network card which is Atheros AR5006 based (if anyone can figure out the exact chipset that'd be nice), and a Dlink DGL-4300 gaming router. All settings are pretty much default, and I am using WPA2. I am using the latest Vista drivers as well. Anyone know why this is occuring, and or how to fix it? Thanks.

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    intelman wrote:
    
    Every so often Vista will say I only have local connectivity. I see this error repeating in my event log.

    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The following error occurred:
    The operation was canceled by the user.. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

    I have an Abit Airpace PCIe network card which is Atheros AR5006 based (if anyone can figure out the exact chipset that'd be nice), and a Dlink DGL-4300 gaming router. All settings are pretty much default, and I am using WPA2. I am using the latest Vista drivers as well. Anyone know why this is occuring, and or how to fix it? Thanks.



    are you using a bridge? if so, this hotfix should solve the problem.


    if that doesn't work simply force the IP address, maybe you have a router whose DHCP server is incompatible with vista.

  • User profile image
    intelman

    I applied the patch to see if it'd help, it didn't. I am not using a bridge.

    I did find more entries in the event log though.

    I see "The service is publishing to the network." from fdrespub which is almost always followed by a DHCP request which succedes. This is only a brief disconnect, but it is annoying. Interupts voip calls and such.

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    intelman wrote:
    

    I applied the patch to see if it'd help, it didn't. I am not using a bridge.

    I did find more entries in the event log though.

    I see "The service is publishing to the network." from fdrespub which is almost always followed by a DHCP request which succedes. This is only a brief disconnect, but it is annoying. Interupts voip calls and such.



    then you'd better use a fixed IP for your lan, you're not the only one having DHCP problems and there doesn't seem to be a solution for that.

    once you use a fixed IP you can see if it's really a dhcp problem (the disconnections should stop) or a connection problem.

  • User profile image
    intelman

    Ok, I set the manual ip, connection does seem more stable now. Hopefully this gets fixed...DHCP is still going nuts.



    Bigger

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    intelman wrote:
    Ok, I set the manual ip, connection does seem more stable now. Hopefully this gets fixed...DHCP is still going nuts.


    I've read on some forums that it could be the router's fault because there are buggy DHCP implementations that are incompatible with the vista DHCP client. you should check to see if there's any newer firmware for your router that fixes the problem.

  • User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

    Try using any network packet analyzer like Wireshark or Ethereal and checkout whats hapenning. Most probably it may be a network problem.

    Shreyas Zare

  • User profile image
    pingu7931

    This can also be a network card driver error. Check for the latest vista drivers for your NIC - and confirm it is supported by Microsoft for Vista.

    I had a similar problem at start-up that sent the whole screen black - although I could still ctrl-alt-delete. Turned out it was the DHCP service failing to start due to an incompatibility with the TCP/IP driver. Only got the screen back when the service had restarted - default wait of 2 minutes dependent upon the value in the recovery DHCP Service property page. Minimum you can change it to is 1 minute!

    If you look at the dependencies for the DHCP service and you see NETIO Legacy TDI Support Driver that is most likely your problem.

    Even if not it's always worth trying a different NIC. Microsoft do need to fix this though and at least give some feedback to the user.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.