Coffeehouse Thread

82 posts

Mix07 is going to be interesting

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • RobertScoble

>It won't be an empty keynote

I hope not, but Ray is adept at giving speeches where he doesn't really say anything. He did one about a month ago in Silicon Valley.

• RobertScoble

>As you know, PDC is about potential future.

Of course, but Mix is sorta the same thing. It's about a potential future. The future IS on the Internet. That's why I've been poking Microsoft so hard for not having a good strategy.

• Charles

RobertScoble wrote:
    >Obviously, nobody talks about technologies that aren't ready to be disclosed publicly.

You forget PDC 2003. In hindsight those technologies (WinFS, which was later killed). And others, were discussed. Oh, and the PDC in 2001 where Hailstorm was discussed. In hindsight if Microsoft had kept developing Hailstorm (with a freaking better name) it might have had a great answer to Amazon's S3, which is taking the startup world by storm right now.

Robert Scoble

As you know, PDC is about potential future. It's about being transparent with what we're thinking, cooking up. We don't make promises in stone at PDC. That's not the point of the event. Developers who program on our platform are given insight into where our technologies are heading, as opposed to being given absolute roadmaps. It's always been this way.

C

PS: I am driving a symposium for PDC07 that will focus on an industry problem and dive into how we are approaching various solutions to it... PDC is about the future. Plans are meant to be changed, especially in this industry, but the hard problems remain. Longhorn was a very hard problem, rife with complexities that were incongruent with ship date requirements...

• Charles

RobertScoble wrote:
    >As you know, PDC is about potential future.

Of course, but Mix is sorta the same thing. It's about a potential future. The future IS on the Internet. That's why I've been poking Microsoft so hard for not having a good strategy.

MIX is quite different, actually, in many ways. For one thing, technologies shown at MIX are very close to coming out of the oven or at least not poised for radical re-architecture in the face of Reality. Further, Microsoft is only one of the many companies presenting solutions to Internet-related problems (and solutions to some of these problems span platforms)... I wouldn't compare the two events. It's not meaningful.

Come down to MIX. See for yourself. Then, of course, come to PDC07.

• Rory

RobertScoble wrote:
    >I've been one of the most vocal about the lengths he's recently gone to slam us.

Microsoft has deep problems. If you think it doesn't, just read http://minimsft.blogspot.com/ sometime.

You need to remove the strawman tactic from your formula. I never said Microsoft didn't have problems, dumbshoes. I'm not one of your sycophantic little puppy dog readers - I'm actually going to think about what you write rather than just accept it.

Also, thanks for the link. I never would have thought to go to one of the most widely read Microsoft blogs in the universe without you guiding me there (now, if I ever mention it, you can take credit for having introduced me to the site - I know how much you like to take credit for things Smiley ).

RobertScoble wrote:
    Attacking me will make you feel better, but it won't make those problems go away.

Dude. I wasn't attacking you.

If I were going to attack you, I'd probably say something like this:

For the love of God, please stop wearing pleated pants. They make you look silly, which, combined with the way you conduct yourself, is not a good thing.

As for "those problems" - what are they? Could you list them? Could you give us solutions? I mean, something besides "Ship!" (we already know that one - we've been slow around here, but not totally effing stupid).

Wait - I'm sorry. After our last exchange, a lot of people came up to me in various hallways at Microsoft and commented on how interesting it was to watch you freeze and stutter out irrelevant drivel each time I said something intelligent to you (I'm surprised you haven't told me yet how many blogs you read - that's an integral part of your arguments around the net).

With that in mind, I'll expend the energy to bring myself down to your level:

I've got the feeling that Podtech has deep problems. You've already told us about how expensive it is to ship videos. On top of it, you invented (and mastered) the "long-form" video, which no doubt costs much more to deliver than a "short-form" video (these silly terms are how I can tell you're a marketing doof at heart).

What is Podtech's five year plan? You have one, right? At the very least, it would be a fun exercise in thought. Perhaps not terribly practical, though. At this rate, you probably won't need a five year plan.

Now, a five month plan would be good. Or, given your masterful ability to spot corporate problems and then solve them, perhaps a five minute plan brought to us by the great revolutionary thinker, Robert Scoble!

I'm waiting, yo.

And, if you don't think Podtech has deep problems, you should try reading that one little piece you wrote in which you talked about how tough it is to squeeze money out of video.

There.

That's attacking.

What I did earlier in the thread was a sort of olive branch. I came and defended you because you were doing the hard thing - saying something positive. Anybody can trash something (and Podtech is such an easy target that it worked well for the demonstration), but it takes a lot of work to be positive instead.

Being positive is what I thought you were up to, but apparently you can insult 70,000 people at the same time, but they can't defend themselves against your comprehensive analysis of the depths of their troubles ("Your strategy is teh sux0rz!! roffolol!!!" - we have our best people working around the clock to figure out just what exactly it was you were trying to say).

I also thought you might like it if someone came along and helped out. Nothing wrong with that. And, I really did feel that the snarky comments were out of line given that you were being a nice guy.

As it pleases you, I'll never come to your defense again. I'll always assume that you'll never forget the spankings I gave to you in front of the rest of the universe earlier this month. Given how quick you are to dish it out, I never would have expected you to be so sensitive. Sorry, little buddy Smiley

RobertScoble wrote:
    Great to know you'll kiss me everytime I say something nice about Microsoft and pull out the attack guns everytime I say something nasty.

For the record, it was a post about Microsoft that pushed me over the edge, but it wasn't just for Microsoft that I came out and called you on your lame tabloid writing.

What bothers me is how irresponsible you are, given that you're #9 on Forbes' web celebrity list. Whether you deserve it or not, there are a lot of eyes on you, and each time you write something so bloody stupid, somebody, somewhere, is going to feel like crap. There are people on the other end of your attacks, you moron.

About the change of heart - I was genuinely pleased to see you come here and say something positive instead of trying to boost your traffic some more with the garbage you'd been spewing previously.

You can say "bad" things about Microsoft, but you had better be sure that what you're saying is intelligent and well thought out. You wrote the "Bat Boy!" of tech posts. It was useless. It was an emotional plea to nobody in particular. It couldn't have been any lamer.

You can also say "good" things about Microsoft, and most of the time I'll ignore you. When I replied in your thread today, it was all about trying to show that, when you behave yourself, I'm willing to give you a Scooble Treat.

You're no different, by the by. When someone criticizes you, you come out far worse than anybody I could imagine. You have to protect your ego on all fronts. It's disturbing. I called you on your idiotic post, and the argument I got back was that you "read" some 1,500 blogs a day or whatever (which might explain why you think what you're writing is hard hitting journalism).

Like I said: disturbing.

RobertScoble wrote:
    Personally, I'll call them as I see them. Sometimes Microsoft sucks, sometimes it is brilliant.

You aren't qualified.

RobertScoble wrote:
    http://www.scobleshow.com (Star developer Joel Spolsky is on my show today).

What does that have to do with anything?

I'm glad to know he's going to be on, and I look forward to watching the interview, but that's about as relevant right now as the number of posts you read before getting out of bed this morning.

Anyway, I'm going to go now. I have some fresh mango that I'd like to eat (see - I can also provide irrelevant info), and I'm going to watch the latest episode of Lost.

I'll check back later to see if you've written to tell me about how many feeds you watch, or about how I don't think Microsoft is in trouble (or whatever other words you'd like to put in my mouth).

Peace, dawgg.

I love you.

• Dimmy Joolittle

Why are Microsoft employees fighting on a public forum? How weird.

• PaoloM

Dimmy Joolittle wrote:

Which Microsoft employees are fighting?

• RobertScoble

Dimmy Joolittle wrote:

I haven't been a Microsoft employee since July of 2006.

• Dimmy Joolittle

RobertScoble wrote:

Dimmy Joolittle wrote: Why are Microsoft employees fighting on a public forum? How weird.

I haven't been a Microsoft employee since July of 2006.
    Oh, okay. Sorry about that. Thanks for clearing that up.

• jason818_25​3.33

Scoble, i think your post is reffreshing.  a nice change from last weeks rants. or was that this week. it all starts to run together.

• Larsenal

C9 Park Transcript

Wink Scoble:  Mix07 is going to be cool.  I know something you don't know.

Wink W3bbo:  I know something too.

[6] Scoble:  Shutup, kid!  Your kind wouldn't have access to this secret.

[A] Rory:  [ implied: Unlike Scoble, I tend to punctuate sentences properly. ]

Big Smile Charles:  Horay for Mix07!!!

[6] Scoble:  Did I say something positive about Microsoft?  Oops!  I mean... eh... it's all going to be vaporware, just like everything at PDC 03.

Expressionless Charles:  Um, no.

Cool Rory:  Whatchya doing back in my kitchen, Scoble?  You know you can't handle the heat.  (Also, insert something here about Podtech not being awesome.)

[A] Scoble:  Podtech is the next Google, and I know no hubris.

• RobertScoble

>Podtech is the next Google, and I know no hubris

Absolutely! My hubris is bigger than your hubris! Smiley

Rory, stay away from my hubris.

Ahh, this is almost as much fun as Twitter! Wink

Almost.

Oh, and Rory, can you whip up some scrambled eggs for me since you know you're better than me at running the kitchen? Thanks!

• RobertScoble

>And, if you don't think Podtech has deep problems, you should try reading that one little piece you wrote in which you talked about how tough it is to squeeze money out of video.

PodTech has millions of dollars in revenues and is just about a year old.

If bandwidth bills are a problem (they aren't) then we can always host our videos on YouTube or BlipTV (where video distribution is free).

Or, we could take any number of free solutions.

Your attacks demonstrate that you hate me, but not that you know anything about PodTech's business. It's a private business. Our profit or loss is between us and our VCs (two of the best in the business, USVP and VenRock). Not between you and me. We have about 30 corporate sponsors and have more work than we can shake a stick at.

If you want to worry about failed business ventures go look at Xbox or Windows Mobile. How many billions have been spent by Microsoft at those two? And you're trying to make a case about our bandwidth bills? Heheh. Yes, the other commenters are correct. Your attacks are funny!

>As for "those problems" - what are they? Could you list them? Could you give us solutions?

Yes. I have listed them many times in the past. Do you want to see the email discussions I had with Bill Gates and Steven Sinofsky? And the emails they sent back? Innovators' Dilemma. Read it.

>After our last exchange, a lot of people came up to me in various hallways at Microsoft and commented on how interesting it was to watch you freeze and stutter out irrelevant drivel each time I said something intelligent to you.

Yes, I know this is a popularity contest and people love it when someone attacking them gets attacked. So, you won a battle of words with me. Congratulations. I'll send you a prize. Make sure you mention that on your employee review, you'll get a raise!

>On top of it, you invented (and mastered) the "long-form" video, which no doubt costs much more to deliver than a "short-form" video (these silly terms are how I can tell you're a marketing doof at heart).

Actually, Justin.TV has taken long-form videos to a whole new art level and that dude is more popular than both of us put together. I predict he'll be on David Letterman within a week.

OK, so you don't like "long form." Maybe you would like Loren Feldman. He thinks my videos are long and boring and horrible.

Or maybe you're just angling for a job at PodTech (we hired Feldman AFTER he did that video bashing me).

>What is PodTech's Five Year plan?

To make great content. Period.

You might not have heard, but we've already spun out another company, called National Banana, which is working with Jerry Zucker (director of the movie "Airplane") where we're going to expand into Hollywood entertainment. Details are on CBS Marketwatch's site.

Yeah, Zucker does deals with failing companies, and losers. You might look into that again.

>Anybody can trash something (and Podtech is such an easy target that it worked well for the demonstration), but it takes a lot of work to be positive instead.

That's true. But, then, I've said plenty of nice things about Microsoft even since leaving Microsoft last year (including taking Microsoft's side in a debate in the New York Times against Dave Winer, and giving Microsoft a "demo of the year" award last year. Search Google for "demo of the year." What comes up first?)

The reason my trashing hurts is cause I said so many nice things about Microsoft over the years. And, I, unlike many other tech pundits and experts, have a raft of Microsoft's latest stuff. Media Center, Xbox, Vista, Office 2007.

>we have our best people working around the clock to figure out just what exactly it was you were trying to say

Easy: get rid of committees. Go see Steve Ball inside Microsoft and learn something about how they picked the four sounds everytime you startup Vista (they are the lamest sounds out of the whole group -- but were the "safest" picked by the committee). Ship something that isn't a copy of something else. Buy some best-of-breed companies. Do something interesting for the little guy. Improve your products so they are seen as best-of-breed and not just "me too" services that rely on your existing user base.

I can spell out more if you're really serious. But, the leadership there didn't listen much when I was there (to a whole raft of smart people, not just me). I notice that many of the smartest people I interviewed are now working somewhere other than Microsoft. Want a list?

> There are people on the other end of your attacks, you moron.

I've never called someone a moron. And, it's a rare day in Redmond when I take out an ad homimem knife the way you do. Glad to know you take the same medicine you dish out. Not.

>When I replied in your thread today, it was all about trying to show that, when you behave yourself, I'm willing to give you a Scooble Treat.

Yes. I live my life for those little "Rory Rewards." Yummy!

>You aren't qualified.

Did Jeff make you "God" of all things technical? Interesting. I hope you got a good bump in level and pay for that one!

>I'll check back later to see if you've written to tell me about how many feeds you watch, or about how I don't think Microsoft is in trouble (or whatever other words you'd like to put in my mouth).

I'm not putting any more words in your mouth. You seem to have plenty there yourself.

You attacked me last week, by the way, for pointing the camera at my face during the Zune video I did.

Yet you didn't go through and look at the 600 videos I did while at Microsoft. How many did I appear in? Very few. Maybe a handful. And, I've done more than 200 videos since I left Microsoft and you could only find ONE where I pointed the camera at my face? Damn, I'm so disappointed there weren't many more.

But then I happened across one of your videos from the MS TechFest. You pointed the camera at your face the entire time and, not only did you do that, but you talked to the camera and ignored your interviewee the whole time and didn't look at him. And you didn't point out the dozens of videos where I took the camera away from my face and more fully exposed my interviewee.

Damn, I don't want anyone to think that you're more arrogant or narcissistic than me (it's a tough job attacking multi-billion-dollar companies instead of a small year-old startup), but, you sure seem like you're trying to take the top of that mighty mountain away from me. Do you really want to be known as more arrogant or narcissistic than Scoble? Yeah, that'll get you brownie points in building 18. Not. Smiley

Mr. Jay is correct, though. I didn't used to like you either but after getting attacked by you over the past week I've come to enjoy you and your skills.

• irascian

Well I was kinda with you for a while there Robert but the endless name-dropping weakens your argument and strengthens Rory's in my opinion.

And c'mon Zucker "the director of Airplane". That was years ago. Why not  mention something more recent and hence more relevant like "Zucker, the director of Scary Movie 4 and Scary Movie 3". Well I think we both know the answer to that. It's called "marketing".

• RobertScoble

>Well I was kinda with you for a while there Robert but the endless name-dropping weakens your argument and strengthens Rory's in my opinion.

Fair enough. In round 3.0 I'm sure I'll be merely competent at wordboxing with Rory instead of incompetent! Smiley

>And c'mon Zucker "the director of Airplane". That was years ago. Why not  mention something more recent and hence more relevant like "Zucker, the director of Scary Movie 4 and Scary Movie 3". Well I think we both know the answer to that. It's called "marketing".

Oh, is "marketing" a bad word?

Smiley

Robert

• bitdisaster

Hey Rory is your turn!

I'm sitting here with a popcorn & coke and wait for round two Big Smile

• W3bbo

RobertScoble wrote:
    >Anyway, what are you talking about?

I can't say, sorry. I was shown in confidence and the person showing it to me didn't have approval to show it to me.

I seriously doubt anyone else outside of Microsoft has seen it. Certainly not W3bbo. It's not a copy of something anyone else has done.

I'll tell you what it was at Mix. Smiley

I have people on my Messenger contact list who say things they shouldn't. Remember how I leaked Royale Noir, for example? Wink

RobertScoble wrote:
    What I saw today is NOT a strategy. It's just a neat "little" thing. If I see six more "little" things like the one I saw today, THEN we might call it a "strategy."

As to how Hotmail ended? In the past 30 days about 200 million people have used Hotmail.

I wish +I+ had a few strategies that ended that way.

I wasn't refering to Hotmail, exactly. But I believe something very similar to this "scheme" that's going on was tested out on Hotmail and a few other Microsoft/MSN-owned websites before being tried out on the general internet....and then dropping out completely.

• RobertScoble

>But I believe something very similar to this "scheme" that's going on was tested out on Hotmail and a few other Microsoft/MSN-owned websites before being tried out on the general internet....and then dropping out completely.

Hmmm, the thing I saw today really doesn't have much to do with email/hotmail at all. So, that tells me we're seeing two separate things.

My mind races! Glad I'm going to Mix for sure now.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.