Coffeehouse Thread

82 posts

Mix07 is going to be interesting

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Fresh air... Fresh air in the Coffeehouse! Keep these threads coming... Keep em coming!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

RobertScoble wrote:
    >But I believe something very similar to this "scheme" that's going on was tested out on Hotmail and a few other Microsoft/MSN-owned websites before being tried out on the general internet....and then dropping out completely.

Hmmm, the thing I saw today really doesn't have much to do with email/hotmail at all. So, that tells me we're seeing two separate things.

My mind races! Glad I'm going to Mix for sure now.

I said it was tried out on the hotmail site, not that it had anything else to do with email.

But this was almost 8 years ago, it wouldn't have been done by the same department and Microsoft had a different strategy. Nevermind.

• User profile image
    Rory

RobertScoble wrote:
    >And, if you don't think Podtech has deep problems, you should try reading that one little piece you wrote in which you talked about how tough it is to squeeze money out of video.PodTech has millions of dollars in revenues and is just about a year old.
    If you don't think Podtech is in deep trouble, then maybe you should read http://www.neopoleon.com.There's this brilliant guy over there who thinks Podtech is in all kinds of trouble, and he's way smart, and he's way loud, so he must be right.(Taking a page of the Scoble School of Rhetoric there. I'm sure it'll be lost on you as details often are (do you have any idea how many times you've told me (and pretty much anybody) to do a search for "demo of the year" and see what comes up first? you should make little notes to yourself after you do it the first time and don't sound like a broken record again and again and again and again...)).
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Your attacks demonstrate that you hate me
    Dude... [shaking head]I've never met anybody so quick to jump to assumptions. You came in here today, posted something, and I defended you.Then you attacked me for defending you.You're such a baby. It makes me feel kind of bad for using all these grown-up words with you.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    but not that you know anything about PodTech's business.
     Does putting things in bold make them true? I'm going to have to try that.You're a wiener.(Did you turn into a wiener?)
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Our profit or loss is between us and our VCs (two of the best in the business, USVP and VenRock).
     I wonder how they feel about your lack of a business plan, or the way you burn company bucks responding to me at length while making yourself look like a doofus.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Not between you and me.
     To be clear: As long as you decide to wedge yourself in between other people and their businesses, making idiotic and unsubstantiated claims (no - telling me to search for "demo of the year" doesn't make things true - it taks bold font to do that), I'll help myself to whatever I'd like chez Scoble.You dish it out. You ought to be able to take it, too.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    We have about 30 corporate sponsors and have more work than we can shake a stick at.
    Is stick shaking a 1:1 activity? It seems to me that, if you had any talent at all, you'd be able to shake a stick at all 30 sponsors at once. No need to go out and buy 29 extra sticks, or hire 29 extra stick-shakers (although Podtech does seem to think it's 1998, and that VC money is just going to keep coming while you shovel it into a pile and burn it (be sure to add shovels, shovelers, gas, and lighters to your budget)).That said, it'd be really funny if you got your sponsors out there and shook a stick at them (or tried - you think you couldn't shake your stick at all of 'em, but I think you could manage, my dear - I have faith in you (not the same kind of faith you have in yourself, though - I don't think you're Jesus)).
    RobertScoble wrote:
    If you want to worry about failed business ventures go look at Xbox or Windows Mobile. How many billions have been spent by Microsoft at those two?
     Hm. I don't know how many billions. Please have a detailed report on my desk in the morning.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    And you're trying to make a case about our bandwidth bills?
     Well, the difference is that Xbox and Windows Mobile will still be around next year.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    >As for "those problems" - what are they? Could you list them? Could you give us solutions?Yes. I have listed them many times in the past. Do you want to see the email discussions I had with Bill Gates and Steven Sinofsky? And the emails they sent back? Innovators' Dilemma. Read it.
    I very rarely read your site. There are so many other more worthwhile things to do out there.Like eat poop.Yes - I'd rather eat poop than read your site.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Yes, I know this is a popularity contest and people love it when someone attacking them gets attacked. So, you won a battle of words with me. Congratulations. I'll send you a prize.
    If this was a popularity contest, I'd have dragged the events of last week out much longer. But I'm not a link-(I need to watch my language). I said just enough to state a very simple case, but, believe me - in just the comments section for any one of your posts, there's enough garbage from you to fill a desk calendar.As for the laudations - don't bother. If you thought you were in a "battle of words" with me, then you've reall flattered yourself. 
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Make sure you mention that on your employee review, you'll get a raise!
    I'll see your generic, dull, limp comeback, and raise you something at least a little clever (I'll also type it with just my left pinkie to show off):"Won battle of words against Robert Scoble" isn't worthy of a raise at Microsoft - we only get rewarded for accomplishments.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Actually, Justin.TV has taken long-form videos to a whole new art level and that dude is more popular than both of us put together. I predict he'll be on David Letterman within a week.
    He better tape his Letterman appearance (you predicted it, so I bet it'll happen). From what I understand, his business plan is remarkably similar to yours.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    OK, so you don't like "long form." Maybe you would like Loren Feldman. He thinks my videos are long and boring and horrible. Or maybe you're just angling for a job at PodTech (we hired Feldman AFTER he did that video bashing me).
    Wow. You're daring and edgy. You're brave for all the risks you take.::yawn::And, no. I'm not trying to get a job working with you. I heard what you did to your cameraman down in the valley (berating him in front of a bunch of bigwigs for his bad camera skills - yours aren't so hot, muchacho, and that's a pretty lame way of providing someone with feedback).Do all your employees quit a couple days after joining, or was it just him?Fear of getting yelled at by you isn't something that would stop me from wanting to work at Podtech, though. That part would actually be fun. If you're as incoherent on the job as you are here, it would be quite amusing.No... the reason I'd never come to Podtech to be your manager is that, honestly, you're a doofus, and I'd hate to have to fire you.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    >What is PodTech's Five Year plan?To make great content. Period.
    If that's all there is to your plan, then you ought to get started.As far as I can tell, you haven't even hit the first (only) goal.How will your "investors" feel about that? Have they done a search for "demo of the year" and seen what comes up first?
    RobertScoble wrote:
    You might not have heard, but we've already spun out another company, called National Banana, which is working with Jerry Zucker (director of the movie "Airplane") where we're going to expand into Hollywood entertainment. Details are on CBS Marketwatch's site.
    Interesting. I didn't see your name anywhere in that post.Has the author done a search for "demo of the year" to see what comes up first?To tell you the truth, I think it's a good move. It prepares us all for a Podtech without Scoble.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Yeah, Zucker does deals with failing companies, and losers.
     Ouch.I mean, the guy's a hero of mine, having worked on such critically acclaimed films as "Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult".I never would have spoken about him the way you did just now. That's low, dawgg.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    (including taking Microsoft's side in a debate in the New York Times against Dave Winer, and giving Microsoft a "demo of the year" award last year. Search Google for "demo of the year." What comes up first?)
    I was just about to remind you to tell me to do a search for "demo of the year" and see what comes up first, but... you beat me to it.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    The reason my trashing hurts is cause I said so many nice things about Microsoft over the years.
     That makes no sense.Your "trashing" doesn't hurt. It's just reckless and selfish.However, I've been thinking about it lately and have considered the possibility that I've been too harsh with you about it. Whatever credibility you may have had is shrinking, due in part to the number of times you've told everybody on the internet (twice) to do a search for "demo of the year" to see what comes up first (makes you look senile), and due in part to the way you waste time with the little guys like me. You must be pulling yourself in all sorts of directions, trying to keep up with all the demands made by your ego.I feel sorry for you, my pretty little Robert. I really do.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    And, I, unlike many other tech pundits and experts
    Wait... did you just group yourself in with "experts"?You're too much.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    have a raft of Microsoft's latest stuff. Media Center, Xbox, Vista, Office 2007.
    A "raft"?I always thougt I knew what the word "raft" mean, but you're challenging that assumption.I'm picturing a raft made out of an xbox. Doesn't seem like a good idea.Why, a raft of such construction might only float as well as, or slightly better than, Podtech!(It was too easy. I should have let it go, but you set these up, one after another, in a way I've never seen anybody else do - you're a gem, Scoble.)
    RobertScoble wrote:
    > There are people on the other end of your attacks, you moron.I've never called someone a moron. And, it's a rare day in Redmond when I take out an ad homimem knife the way you do. Glad to know you take the same medicine you dish out. Not.
    OK. First off, it's "ad hominem" (I expected you to mention it - didn't expect you to spell it "homimonimenem").Second, if you took out "that knife" on the "rare day" in Redmond, then you did do it. You might not have used the word "moron," but you still used the tactic.If you're trying to argue somehow that what I did was wrong, you could have chosen many better ways than explaining that you engage in the behavior yourself.Anyway, I don't take my advice from morons Smiley
    RobertScoble wrote:
    >You aren't qualified.Did Jeff make you "God" of all things technical? Interesting. I hope you got a good bump in level and pay for that one!
    Um. Jeff likes you, which is more than I can say for the rest of the people around here (you should hear the jokes about your old office and how many articles/photos about/of yourself that you put on the walls - I love it).And, I don't need anyone else's permission to point out that you're a dumbshoes.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    >I'll check back later to see if you've written to tell me about how many feeds you watch, or about how I don't think Microsoft is in trouble (or whatever other words you'd like to put in my mouth).I'm not putting any more words in your mouth. You seem to have plenty there yourself.
    Exactly. I have my own words, and I certainly don't need yours in there mucking everything up.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    You attacked me last week, by the way, for pointing the camera at my face during the Zune video I did.
    No, no, no... it wasn't just for point it at your own face.It was for asking a question (of someone who was giving you his time), and then ignoring the answer to grimace into the lens and ensure that you were more in frame than he was.Get it straight, yo.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Yet you didn't go through and look at the 600 videos I did while at Microsoft.
     You don't... seriously expect me to sit down and watch 600 videos you made, do you?
    RobertScoble wrote:
    But then I happened across one of your videos from the MS TechFest. You pointed the camera at your face the entire time and, not only did you do that, but you talked to the camera and ignored your interviewee the whole time and didn't look at him.
     You should probably go back and watch the video.At the start, we were sitting in a very awkward position on one small part of a couch. We were both facing the camera. I was watching the viewscreen to see him - not myself (I even remarked on this only a few seconds in).Then, after a short intro, I moved behind the camera and filmed him.I do try to appear in frame with my guests whenever possible. Nothing wrong with that. But I would never, ever ignore them.When I say you ignored your guest, I mean to say just that - you ignored him. I, on the other hand, didn't ignore my guest at all.Seriously. Go back and actually watch the video if you want to use it as an example, but prepared to validate that "moron" comment I made.
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Damn, I don't want anyone to think that you're more arrogant or narcissistic than me (it's a tough job attacking multi-billion-dollar companies instead of a small year-old startup)
    Wow. Again with those true-by-bold statements.That's OK, Robert. Nobody would ever, ever make that mistake. Your reputation as the most arrogant and narcissistic person any of us will ever meet is still firmly in place.On a side note, when did your parenthetical statement have to do with the sentence to which it was attached?On another side note, the Robert-Scoble-is-a-victim thing is getting old. Not only is it not going to earn you any sympathy (pity, maybe, but not for the reasons you'd expect), but it's a source of irritation for many. I only mention it because it's one of those Robert Scoble Things I get to hear about all the time (ever since last week, there's been a steady stream of people coming to me to tell me all about their favorite Robert-is-a-doofus moments - don't know why, and I find it annoying, but thought I'd pass along some of their comments where appropriate).
    RobertScoble wrote:
    but, you sure seem like you're trying to take the top of that mighty mountain away from me.
     No joke, I'm starting to wonder if you have a short term memory problem (I have another great story about this, but it wouldn't be appropriate to tell it here - it's about you, but probably not something you'd like sitting out in a public place).You started the thread. Someone gave you a hard time. I got your back. You attacked me (this bold thing is silly, but I figure that, by adopting some of your strange typographical habits, you'll manage to remember what's transpired).
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Do you really want to be known as more arrogant or narcissistic than Scoble?
    Pointless, sir, because it's impossible. 
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Yeah, that'll get you brownie points in building 18. Not. Smiley
    You really have no idea what people really think of you.Again, being honest, that's sad. And, not in an I-pity-you "sad" kind of way, but in "That clown doesn't have anyone to play with" kind of way.(That would be the funny kind of sad.)
    RobertScoble wrote:
    Mr. Jay is correct, though. I didn't used to like you either but after getting attacked by you over the past week I've come to enjoy you and your skills.
    I'm glad one of us was entertained by your presence here.Smacking you around is my consolation prize for knowing you exist.

• User profile image
    Rory

RobertScoble wrote:
    >Podtech is the next Google, and I know no hubris

Absolutely! My hubris is bigger than your hubris! Smiley

Rory, stay away from my hubris.

Ahh, this is almost as much fun as Twitter! Wink

Almost.

Oh, and Rory, can you whip up some scrambled eggs for me since you know you're better than me at running the kitchen? Thanks!

"My hubris is bigger than your hubris."

Lame.

Just...

Lame.

• User profile image
    Rory

section31 wrote:

Hey Rory is your turn!

I'm sitting here with a popcorn & coke and wait for round two

Sorry.

I was busy searching for "demo of the year" to see what comes up first.

• User profile image
    Rory

RobertScoble wrote:
    My mind races!

In the Special Olympics!

And loses!

(With that, I'm off to bed. My work here is finished for the night.)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rory, shouldn't you have your own entry in Encyclopedia Dramatica by now?

• User profile image
    Massif

This kind of reminds me of an ancient clip from 2DTV (I think it was 2DTV) with Ariel Sharon (last Israeli Prime Minister for those who don't know) in. He had a fire in the kitchen, and went around somthing like this:

"Oh no! Perhaps this oil will help put out the fire.!" <huge rush of flames>
    "Perhaps this vodka!" <more flames>
    "Maybe these fireworks!" <etc... >

Kinda reminds me of this argument for some reason.

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

>Kinda reminds me of this argument for some reason.

How about this methane gas?

Smiley

• User profile image
    Massif

I was going to suggest a boxing match to sort this out, but I'm thinking to keep it more geeky perhaps there's some xBox game you can both play to sort out all this agression once and for all.

I've lost some respect for both Rory and Robert through all this, and I honestly don't care who's in the right. (Besides, I'm old enough to know generally both people are right, and both are wrong, it's just a question of proportions.) Although I'm not arrogant enough to believe that either of you care in the least about my opinion.

I'll happily sound patronising though by pointing out that perhaps you both should refrain from carrying on arguments when it's clearly past both of your bedtimes. (Act like children, get treated like them.)

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

>If you don't think Podtech is in deep trouble, then maybe you should read http://www.neopoleon.com.There's this brilliant guy over there who thinks Podtech is in all kinds of trouble, and he's way smart, and he's way loud, so he must be right.

He's definitely way smart. Way smarter than me.

>You're such a baby.

You're right, I am. Why you having a conversation with a baby if you're a grown up?

>responding to me at length while making yourself look like a doofus

What's wrong with being a doofus? You made being a doofus cool and I just want to be like you.

>I'd rather eat poop than read your site

Is that supposed to be an insult? Damn, my 13-year-old can flame better than you.

>I'll see your generic, dull, limp comeback, and raise you something at least a little clever (I'll also type it with just my left pinkie to show off):"Won battle of words against Robert Scoble" isn't worthy of a raise at Microsoft - we only get rewarded for accomplishments.

Sorry, I only have 1/4th the IQ that you have. So, slow down a little as I struggle to keep up with your greatness.

>I heard what you did to your cameraman down in the valley (berating him in front of a bunch of bigwigs for his bad camera skills - yours aren't so hot, muchacho, and that's a pretty lame way of providing someone with feedback).

There were something like two people in the blog house at that time. Your boss being one of them. Agreed it was a lame way to provide feedback. He didn't leave cause of that, though. But, who cares about the truth when you have a good insult to make? Oh, wait a second, I thought THAT bothered YOU when I did it. Now I'm confused. Blame it on my slow brain again.

>Your "trashing" doesn't hurt. It's just reckless and selfish.

Oh, right. We're back to this line again. Damn it I want to keep the "most egotistical" award to myself, Rory. But you keep trying to grasp it out of my hands and put it on your own shelf. Grrrrr.

>First off, it's "ad hominem"

You HAD to pick on my misspelling, didn't you?

Like I said, I'm trying to keep up with someone who has 400% my intellect. Sometimes I'll make mistakes just trying to keep up.

>Um. Jeff likes you, which is more than I can say for the rest of the people around here (you should hear the jokes about your old office and how many articles/photos about/of yourself that you put on the walls - I love it).

Well, great, I have a bunch of backstabbers who won't even have the balls to tell me I'm an arrogant buttwipe to my face. At least with you I get the real deal. I'd much rather hang around someone who isn't nice when they are getting something from me, then stabbing me in the back as soon as I'm out of sight. Freaking just stick the damn knife in my chest when I'm in front of you.

But, that sure explains a WHOLE lot about the culture there that I don't even want to revisit. That explains a whole lot why so many smart people don't stick around.

Good luck with that. I bet they are doing the same thing with you. Wonder what kind of jokes they are making behind YOUR back?

Jeff, though, is a straight up guy. If he doesn't like you he'll tell you to your face. I appreciate that in someone.

> You don't... seriously expect me to sit down and watch 600 videos you made, do you?

Absolutely not. But, let's not go there since we're both in the content business and if no one watches our videos then we're out on the street. Better go watch some more of yours so I can learn how to do it right.

>When I say you ignored your guest, I mean to say just that - you ignored him.

Really? Wild. I'm so glad you know exactly what I was doing. You're telling me you can't look at your camera and pay attention to your guest too? Damn, I have only 1/4 your IQ and I can do that. Either way, you focused on, what, five seconds out of a 40-minute video? Out of 200 videos I've done?

Congratulations for finding a moment of stupidness in my videos. There's probably a few others, but then you'll have to watch.

>Your reputation as the most arrogant and narcissistic person any of us will ever meet is still firmly in place.

Whew! I thought it was in danger there for a minute.

>ever since last week, there's been a steady stream of people coming to me to tell me all about their favorite Robert-is-a-doofus moments

Great! If anyone who worked with me can't give you at least five then they didn't really work with me very long.

Hell, read my wife's blog and you'll see even more.

>You really have no idea what people really think of you.

I'm sure they think I'm an arrogant, stupid, doofus, if what you write is any indication.

But, if all of that is true, why you wasting your time telling someone who has 1/4 the IQ points of you that he's an arrogant, stupid, doofus?

And why am I bothering to listen to someone who listens to backstabbing coworkers?

I don't know, but I think it has to do with that cartoon that Ross loaded in the forum earlier this evening.

Say hi to your co-workers at Microsoft. You know the ones. They have patent cubes on their shelves.

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

>Although I'm not arrogant enough to believe that either of you care in the least about my opinion.

I do care and, of course, you are right.

That said, it's hard to disengage.

I'll take your advice, though cause it's the most sound advice I've read here tonight.

Good night Rory.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Massif wrote:

I've lost some respect for both Rory and Robert through all this

QFT.  Although I did get *some* initial enjoyment out of seeing Robert get a good shouting at for his attitude and his fickle-ness.

I dislike immensely Robert's Dvorak-like link whoring (dvorak slams Apple for hits though), and I hate seeing Rory getting wound up to the point where he thinks that responding to every comment from Robert is constructive (or funny or something).

Maybe you two could just like, stop talking, it is obvious that neither are going to change ... but slamming each other here just makes you both look bad.

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

W3bbo wrote:
    Rory, shouldn't you have your own entry in Encyclopedia Dramatica by now?

lol. 

I'm actually hesitant to post anything for fear of being reduced and belittled to the size of a peanut by the Rory beat down machine. Honestly I expect much more professionalism from Rory being that this is a MS forum, and Scoble is a guest on it.

After all; if everyone’s point of view lined up exactly where would there be a conversation. If the point of view we express on this forum is expected to be lined up with the MS or Rory point of view, what is point of coming here to converse?

Scoble expressed a point of view that was IMO wrongly meet with a over exaggerated *public* attack on character (not just on Scoble). Instead of being meet with calm, intelligent, and productive debate about the issues expressed.

WTF!!

Regardless whether Scoble is right or wrong, Id expect someone that is part of the C9 team and Microsoft to step up and be the professional about the whole thing, instead of turning it into a (I need to watch my language) slap contest.

• User profile image
    Ambition

You guys remind me of my school friends, although slightly more literate.

They're talking about "Technology-X" - I'm sure it will take the world by storm. Tongue Out

Edit: I backed up the conversation just in case someone get's into their heads to delete this one.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Rory wrote:

I was busy searching for "demo of the year" to see what comes up first.

I tried that.

It was something about Final Fantasy XIII. Perplexed

I hate Final Fantasy. Sad

Where's all the love gone? Hugs all round, I say. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

For those of you playing the home game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

An Ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy. If I say, "Scoble is an idiot", I'm not presenting an Ad Hominem attack. If I say , "Scoble is an idiot, therefore he is wrong about this thing" and don't present any counter evidence, I'm presenting an Ad Hominem argument.

Saying, "Of course Rory would defend Microsoft, he works there" or "Scoble is just poting sour grapes because he doesn't work for Microsoft anymore" are also examples of Ad Hominem arguments.

Remember kids, insults are not Ad hominem.

Next time, we'll tackle the Strawman. Wink

That being said, this kind of post by robert DOES fall into the "Scoble formula", if there is such a thing. Make a post based on inside information but make sure the post contains none of the inside information and just serves to essentially say "nyah, nyah. I know something you don't know and I'm not tell-ing!" And it was old even back in the Longhorn hyping days on his blog.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

*clap* *clap*

While we're on the subject, let's talk about "trolls".

There's no such thing as a troll poster or troll user. These are not the scandinavian ugly beings we're referring to here...

Troll is actually a verb. It comes from the fishing act of trailing some bait behind a boat to see if fish bites.

In Usenet terminology this meant an article posted with the sole purpose to rile up other users while not providing any real contribution to the discussion.

</story>

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.