Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Channel9 video request... the new Community Server

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    z2bass

In this blog post, the author explains that Microsoft is creating a replacement for Telligent's community server. Channel9... can you get the exclusive debut? Maybe this is what Scoble was talking about when he said he saw something that will be shown at Mix.

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

Nope, it wasn't. It is cool, though.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

The post you link to is either confused or misleading... yes, Doug Seven posted about a new set of code that will be used in part to replace Community Server on some Microsoft properties.

This is not competition with Community Server, this is a choice of his team to build their own software that is specific to their needs, just like we did with on10.net and are doing with the new version of C9.

To quote Doug Seven (who is working on the team in question):

"Joe: There are currently no plans to make [Microsoft.Community] a boxed product. When we designed [Microsoft.Community], we intentionally made it a service-based platform so that we could open up the services. We haven't decided yet how much we will expose them - other than we are not exposing the services during the beta.

I wouldn't expect that we will ever make this a hosted solution for the public. It will likely be limited to Microsoft properties and select partners/3rd parties, but you never know..."

Mr. Pascual's suggestions that Microsoft 'wants to go against ' Telligent and that 'they are going to provide it for free, to replace [Community Server] 2007' appear to be completely his own conclusions based on a misinterpretation of Doug's post.

Still a very interesting project and one that you can get more information about over at yag's blog.

• User profile image
    littleguru

It could be the thing that the Channel9/10 team is working on... EvNet. Channel9 version 4 is also going to run on that.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

littleguru wrote:
    It could be the thing that the Channel9/10 team is working on... EvNet. Channel9 version 4 is also going to run on that.

Nope, it isn't .... Doug is talking about a different project, check out yag's post to get some of the overall architectural plans

• User profile image
    albertpascu​al

Want to clarify the post so hopefully I won’t received any more emails about the subject. The opinion that Microsoft wants to replace Community Server 2007 is of course my opinion, I do not work for Microsoft and I do not have any inside information about the reason why Microsoft is coming out with this product.

Cheers Albert Pascual
  • User profile image
    eagle

I believe Rob Howard and Scott Watermasysk will be at MIX07, so maybe they can do a video there.

• User profile image
    z2bass

I think someone needs to do something innovative... hopefully shake Community Server. If something is open source it should be open source... not open source/pay me... but Community server is cool... it's just that someone else should compete.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.