Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Zune in europe?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Chadk

Ok, i want a zune, badly!
    Thing is, its not out in europe yet!
    Is there any info on when it ships? From what i could find, it wont come before late 07, early 08!!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Just buy a normal mp3 player.

• User profile image
    Bas

Over here there's one or two import shops that got hold of a bunch of them, maybe there's something like that over there too? These are usually gadget-oriented stores, who sell foreign consoles and that sort of thing, as well.

ZippyV wrote:
    Just buy a normal mp3 player.

Are you one of those people who replies "Just install firefox" when somebody reports an issue with IE? Jeeze.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Bas wrote:

ZippyV wrote: Just buy a normal mp3 player.
    Are you one of those people who replies "Just install firefox" when somebody reports an issue with IE?

Nope, but I don't see any reason to buy a Zune.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

ZippyV wrote:

Bas wrote: 
    Are you one of those people who replies "Just install firefox" when somebody reports an issue with IE?

Some don't like White Earphones(tm) so much...

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Just buy iPod G5.5 with 30GB harddrive and relax.

Don't forget to throw away stupid moronic default earphones and buy normal ones.

There are no single reason to buy Zune if you have iPod.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    blowdart

BlackTiger wrote:

yea but he doesn't *have* an iPod. Your arguement makes little sense. (And then there's the mess that's iTunes and it's forcing of QuickTime onto systems)

• User profile image
    Chadk

blowdart wrote:

BlackTiger wrote: 

yea but he doesn't *have* an iPod. Your arguement makes little sense. (And then there's the mess that's iTunes and it's forcing of QuickTime onto systems)

I do actually have an ipod. I have the old shuffle.
    But you know what? ITunes is the worst software i used. It didnt work on my old x64 computer. Doesnt work on this x64 computer.
    So it kinda rendered my ipod useless.
    And it forces me, like you point out, to install quicktime, which is *LAME*

Zune got nice design.
    Cool features
    Size that fits me.
    Well worked hardware.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Chadk wrote:

Zune got nice design.
    Cool features
    Size that fits me.
    Well worked hardware.

And a 7 month wait Tongue Out

• User profile image
    littleguru

I wonder also when we can get one here in europe. I would love to listen to my podcasts on a Zune and not on an iPod... besides I don't want to install iTunes.

• User profile image
    Bas

ZippyV wrote:

Bas wrote: 

That's great for you, but he obviously does see a reason, hence his question.

• User profile image
    Jaz

I was thinking of emailing the Zune guys with the title "Your European strategy sucks".  Quite a bold headline you're thinking, well i'll give you the reasons why.

If the Zune isn't launched before June (which it very well may do), Microsoft could have one of the best times to target the Zune.  Europe is known for it's big festivals (as has already been discussed) like Reading & Leeds, Glastonbury, Bestival, Lowlands, Love Parade etc etc.

Now if Microsoft Sponsored each of these festivals, enough to have their own MS Zune tent where MS Zune owners could get exclusive live tracks from their fave artists who have been playing at that paticular festival, or have live exclusive small appearences from a paticular artist, then the Zune Brand would become well more known. 

Yes it's cool having some of the quirky small artists play but also get the big hitters like lilly allen playing with exclusive live videos and tracks on the 3day/3play scheme using the wireless.

yo MS when you gonna hire me?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Jaz wrote:
    I was thinking of emailing the Zune guys with the title "Your European strategy sucks".  Quite a bold headline you're thinking, well i'll give you the reasons why.

If the Zune isn't launched before June (which it very well may do), Microsoft could have one of the best times to target the Zune.  Europe is known for it's big festivals (as has already been discussed) like Reading & Leeds, Glastonbury, Bestival, Lowlands, Love Parade etc etc.

Now if Microsoft Sponsored each of these festivals, enough to have their own MS Zune tent where MS Zune owners could get exclusive live tracks from their fave artists who have been playing at that paticular festival, or have live exclusive small appearences from a paticular artist, then the Zune Brand would become well more known. 

Yes it's cool having some of the quirky small artists play but also get the big hitters like lilly allen playing with exclusive live videos and tracks on the 3day/3play scheme using the wireless.

yo MS when you gonna hire me?

You have forgotten the Donauinselfest in Vienna...

Apple was there last year. No sign of Microsoft, as usual Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

Handing out exclusive tracks would be pretty expensive, I think. Just producing these tracks just for this promotional activity has to cost a huge amount of money. The label will want to cash in, there'll be piracy concerns, etcetera. Huge hassle, probably too expensive to cash in on. Then again, I'm not in the music industry.

But yeah, it's a pretty good idea. If you want to be taken seriously as a company in the music industry, make sure you're represented at festivals. It's a no brainer.

Heck, a couple of years ago a major coffee company over here (and this is, like, a huge European coffee mogul) was seeing their sales decline among youth. In a remarkable move, they started sponsoring a large festival (Lowlands) and setting up coffee stands. Coffee. At a festival. It's, like, heart of the summer, people are hot, sweaty, dusty, and when you come out of a crowd, the first thing you want is a soda or a beer, not a hot steaming cup of coffee. But, guess what? Huge success. The coffee stands were selling their stuff like crazy. They also had a coffee service where they hung coupons on your tent at night which you could redeem for a free cup of coffee which doubled as a hangover cure in the morning, and that was really popular too.

Result? Coffee sales and brand awareness among youth shot up for them in the following years.

Now, if a company with a product so out of place at a music festival can use it to boost their sales, shouldn't a company with a product that actually makes sense at a music festival be able to do the same?

• User profile image
    Jaz

Well my thought would be that the exclusive tracks would be the recordings of the artists who have played at one of the stages.  Yes it may cost alot, but i think the gamble is worth it.

maybe thats why MS aren't hiring me....

• User profile image
    Bas

What, like, produced in a day? Is that doable?

• User profile image
    Jaz

Yes i believe it is.  You're not looking for the perfect recording to envy the CD's you've already got, but how about a cool MP3/Video recording of the artist live that you can take home and share with your friends. a cool memory.

• User profile image
    rhm

Please keep Zune out of Europe. We don't need Microsoft's toxic marketing strategy here.

I give Zune one more christmas before Microsoft drops it like a stone.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.