Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Microsoft Adds Instant Messaging To Xbox?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !
  • User profile image
    swiatecki

    well it looks nice to me

  • User profile image
    odujosh

    Cant wait for the 80 dollar 'specially made' xbox keyboard Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Jack Poison

    odujosh wrote:
    Cant wait for the 80 dollar 'specially made' xbox keyboard


    Sounds like Microsoft is taking another page from the Apple playbook by having highly overpriced perhipherals. I remember seeing an Apple 60 dollar mouse and 60 dollar keyboard about 5 years ago. And it wasn't wireless. Only acrylic.

    But, I digress. Microsoft did a good job with the 20 dollar Media Center Remote.. Hopefully they will keep the keyboard price low, too.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Not sure if anyone's aware of that, but you can already use any existing el-cheapo USB keyboard on the 360.

  • User profile image
    odujosh

    Way cool. I meant it as a joke. Smiley If microsoft doesn't do it a third party will.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Oh you mean this?


  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    Nice render Wink

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    PaoloM wrote:
    Nice render


    Are you calling engadget liars? Or for that matter Major Nelson?

    Tongue Out

    Note that it's a click on for existing controllers.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    PaoloM wrote:
    Nice render


    Well it is a render, you can make out each polygon along the edges, but it's all CAD/CAM so someone just dragged it from AutoCAD into 3DStudio and hit Render.

    but what's of more note is: Xbox adds XviD and H.364 support!

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    blowdart wrote:
    
    Are you calling engadget liars? Or for that matter Major Nelson?



    Or xbox.com for that matter.

    It looks a bit cumbersome though. Still it may finally be enough to persuade me to use the same passport for Messenger that I used when I signed up for Live.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    AndyC wrote:
    
    blowdart wrote: 
    Are you calling engadget liars? Or for that matter Major Nelson?



    Or xbox.com for that matter.

    It looks a bit cumbersome though. Still it may finally be enough to persuade me to use the same passport for Messenger that I used when I signed up for Live.


    If only there was a way to merge passports so that you wouldn't have to contact everyone on your list and ask them to add your new account.

    Yes, Live ID team. I'm bitter.

  • User profile image
    odujosh

    They need a slide out edition. So you can hide it away inside the controller when its not in use.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    bot.  wont click

    sorry.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Bas wrote:
    
    If only there was a way to merge passports so that you wouldn't have to contact everyone on your list and ask them to add your new account.


    Yeah, that's a pain. l have financial investment in the one I use for Xbox Live, but it's such a pain to change the other one as it also has a lot associated with it - contacts, logging in to Connect, MSDN forums etc.

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    This is exactly why the idea of anonymous yet unique IDs are bogus.  Eventually, you'll reach a point where you won't have the ability, patience, or know-how to create a new one so you'll just stick with the one you have.  Once that happens, you're back to identifying yourself as your ID.

    It gives the tinfoil-hat crowd the belief that since they 'can' do a thing, they 'will' do it.

    I may not be a number, but the only way that our society can scale is for it to treat me like one. 

  • User profile image
    Bas

    AndyC wrote:
    
    Bas wrote: 
    If only there was a way to merge passports so that you wouldn't have to contact everyone on your list and ask them to add your new account.


    Yeah, that's a pain. l have financial investment in the one I use for Xbox Live, but it's such a pain to change the other one as it also has a lot associated with it - contacts, logging in to Connect, MSDN forums etc.


    I managed to get almost everything ported to my Live ID. Connect, this place, the partnership program, my certifications, you name it. Everything but my contact list. I don't care for the hotmail mailbox on my old ID, I'd gladly forfeit that. But the contacts? I need those on the new ID so I can finally get rid of the old one.

    And yes, I know I could just copy all my contacts and add them to the new ID, but then I'd have to tell everybody to add my new ID to their contact lists as well. I hate it when people do that to me. Also, there are people who aren't online for months. Should I run two instances of messenger side by side for a year in case some of those people pop up so I can tell them to add my new account?

    No. I should just be able to change the email address, the way everybody who didn't use a microsoft address can. I mean, the functionality is already there. But hey, I can't use it, because I used a hotmail.com address when I set up my old account! Thanks Microsoft, it's great when you reduce functionality for those people who have been using your technology for years. Great customer service. Used a gmail address? Yahoo maybe? Great, feel free to change your stuff. Used a Microsoft address? In that case, we cripple your functionality. As a thank-you.

    What also sucks is that connect alerts don't work if your messenger Live ID isn't the same as the connect Live ID. So that feature is useless now. It wouldn't surprise me if the Xbox messaging only worked with the Live ID that you used to set up your Xbox Live account, because that would render it useless for me too.

    God I'm bitter about this.

    Why does all this have to be so lame? I mean, why has this passport thing been a mess for so long? The Live ID team acknowledged that they knew how this was a much-requested feature over a year ago, yet still nothing has been done.
    Can we get somebody from the Live ID team to comment on this in this place? Seeing how it's about, you know, the communication?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.