Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

20GB PS3 discontinued. Time for Microsoft to drop the 360 price?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

the 20GB PS3 has been officially discontinued by Sony. isn't this the perfect time for Microsoft to drop the 360 price (and maybe starting giving a memory card with the 360 core and dropping the 20gb and 120gb HDDs prices)? what do you think?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I do think the prices of a X360HDD are over-priced, and I'm sure they'd be cheaper in an effort to shift them if MS didnt encode the HDD in a way that u cant just switch it (i know about 8 people whove tried - and failed miserably) as people would be creating their own. Whats the price on a 120gig one? Ive only seent the "Elite" versions of X360 online and i have no idea what the pricing is etc.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

I'd say it's always a good time to drop the 360 prices, but that's my consumer-side talking.

Business-wise, I'm not so sure. If the 20GB PS3 is discontinued, that means that even the most expensive 360 is now cheapear than the PS3. They already have the cheapest console on the market. Not counting the Wii, but they're not really competing with the Wii. I'm not sure that's much incentive for them to drop the price.

Also, they just announced the Elite, and named a price. So that one isn't dropping. And if they drop the Core and Premium prices, the Elite will only seem more expensive.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I dont know. With Sony discontinuing their less expensive model, its only making the 360 look more attractive, even at its current price. A price drop though would make it more compitive with the Wii, but the PS3 just isnt competition at all.

Granted I'd love to see a price drop since I dont have $300 bucks to shell out for a 360 at the moment and I really want the Media Center Extender features- That and I have a few friends who I need to "take care of" on Xbox Live.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I do think the prices of a X360HDD are over-priced, and I'm sure they'd be cheaper in an effort to shift them if MS didnt encode the HDD in a way that u cant just switch it (i know about 8 people whove tried - and failed miserably) as people would be creating their own. Whats the price on a 120gig one? Ive only seent the "Elite" versions of X360 online and i have no idea what the pricing is etc.

the 120gb one costs 180$.

I believe MS has chosen such an high price in wait of the price drop (so they didn't have to drop the 20gb HDD price).

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

I'm having too much fun with my Wii right now to consider buying either but if Microsoft dropped the 360 price in the future I'd likely pick one up.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I was leaning towards one but i changed my mind and decided to save my money for a Tablet.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Xbox dont have blu ray add on? (not ot my knowledge) i thought there was only a HD-DVD.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Dont be so quick to turn down the PS3 simply because its expensive.

Can a Xbox 360 be a general purpose computer, game system, and an hi-def BluRay/DVD movie player in one?

Remember the BluRay drive alone might go for $600 or more.

That said, I wont be buying a PS3 or Xbox 360. The PS3 is beyond my budget and the Xbox 360 is crippled beyond a gaming system and media extender.

• User profile image
    Bas

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Dont be so quick to turn down the PS3 simply because its expensive.

Can a Xbox 360 be a general purpose computer, game system, and an hi-def BluRay/DVD movie player in one?

Remember the BluRay drive alone might go for $600 or more.

This isn't about wether the PS3 is bad because it's expensive. It's about wether the 360's price should be dropped now that there's no low-end PS3.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

A $200 external HD-DVD addon.

With that the 360 will cost about the same as a PS3 or more, minus the whole computer functionality.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Jason Cox wrote:
    A price drop though would make it more compitive with the Wii, but the PS3 just isnt competition at all.

I wonder if Sony's doing a kamikazi on the PS3, it's like they had a deathwish before it even hit the shelves.

The execs know it's going to flop, the developers are just shrugging their shoulders, and the middle-managers are frantically trying to save the dying platform by securing exclusive deals.

...but I don't think the PS3 will mark the end of Sony's healthy section of the console market. It'll just be a blip on their radar, an anomaly. I'll bet they'll usher out a more down-to-earth Playstation 4 that follows Wii's example of giving people what they want, not what the execs think people want.

I wonder how long Nintendo can hold out, they're true veterans of the console wars and are fighting Sony on two fronts, they need to hit back harder.

As for Microsoft, the Xbox 360 is like a purer version of the PS3, it's "more of the same", but at least it's more-or-less sensibly priced and actually making a profit, the PS3 is "much more of the same"... more than some people want, to the point of nausea. The Wii is something fresh, exciting, and new. Microsoft: kill off Sony by all means, but leave Nintendo alone, mm'key?

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo wrote:
    I wonder how long Nintendo can hold out, they're true veterans of the console wars and are fighting Sony on two fronts, they need to hit back harder.

As for Microsoft, the Xbox 360 is like a purer version of the PS3, it's "more of the same", but at least it's more-or-less sensibly priced and actually making a profit, the PS3 is "much more of the same"... more than some people want, to the point of nausea. The Wii is something fresh, exciting, and new. Microsoft: kill off Sony by all means, but leave Nintendo alone, mm'key?

I think Nintendo has been hitting Sony pretty hard. They've got them beaten on the handheld market and as far as I know, the Wii is more popular than the PS3.

As for Microsoft vs. Nintendo... Didn't Peter Moore suggest that people should buy a Wii once? I remember something about them realizing that the Wii served a completely different market and that Microsoft's only real competition was with the PS3.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Its too bad the Wii doesn't have any power.

The Wii has less power than the Xbox 1, yet the Nintendo 64 was by far the most powerful game system when it was released.

The motion controllers could have easily been adapted onto a much more power system.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

One kewl thing about the console harddrives is you can swap them out for bigger ones manually, and the consoles format and set them all up for you Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

That's only for the PS3 though. But that was a genious move from Sony, yeah.

• User profile image
    Leo Atrox

In my opinion, now is not the time to drop the price. Instead, now is the time to add more value to the systems at the current price points.

• Add the 20GB HDD to the Xbox 360 Core (or a voucher for the HDD).
    • Add the Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter to the Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Elite (or a voucher).

Add value. Some are going to jump at these deals, thus increasing market penetration ... This might negate some of the loss in revenue by packaging the items in.

If you're using vouchers, you might find that some folks never redeem those. So you've added value, without reducing revenue in those cases.

I'm getting tired of looking at the PS3 and seeing that it is--feature-for-feature--much cheaper than the Xbox 360. Microsoft needs to step it up. You've got a greater price advantage for entry-level gamers since the 20GB version of the PS3 is no longer available in the US. Now up the value for those who are on the fence and stick it to Sony.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Its too bad the Wii doesn't have any power.

The Wii has less power than the Xbox 1, yet the Nintendo 64 was by far the most powerful game system when it was released.

The motion controllers could have easily been adapted onto a much more power system.

But that is the genius behind the Wii and a lesson they almost certainly learnt from the expensive and over-delayed N64. They've cut themselves a unique market share, kept costs to a minimum and don't appear to have any trouble selling them (it's still pretty much impossible to get hold of without a fair bit of waiting).

By not competing directly with Microsoft and Sony they don't need to push the cutting edge. And they're pretty much free to release a Wii2 in a year or two that upgrades the graphics if they deem it necessary. 

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.