Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

the transparency myth?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • jamie

web 2.0 - transparency
    c9 - transparency
    i tried with Grin Inc 4 yrs ago - transparency

i put forth that transpency does not exist - especially in any form that involves money

a) it cant - the profit/cost is hidden
    b) you cant talk about upcoming features/what your about to sell (fully)

I read an article/review in the Star today about Credability in rockstars.

Its was about a book that studies the aultruistic side of rock...  from elvis - to anarchy credability (pistols) to neil young to sting to kurt cobain etc

as an example it said neil young cant be credible - as he did 80's album running his music through synths - and pretending to be in strange rockability or blues bands = no cred.  or no transparency

same for sting... elvis .. they all "sold out"

some subjects / artists they wouldnt touch - like dylan: "he new at an early age the difference between credibility and reality.."

and they conclude the article by stating Kurt cobain was the only real credible artist - as he expossed himself though his writing more turely and honestly (transparently) than any other artist - for the world to see - and - shot himself due to some extent of that watching.

<church lady> now isnt that just specail

so anyway - real - true transparency - cannot exit
    and if it did - it can be fatal to the individual or business that pays more than just lip service to it

....?

* c9 is transparent..  run by ghosts lately it seems! Tongue Out

• NickHodge

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Cool

• Sven Groot

NickHodge wrote:
    Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I know that's a quote from somewhere, but I can't remember where. Sad

• Yggdrasil

Sven Groot wrote:

NickHodge wrote: Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I know that's a quote from somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Googling seems to suggest that it's from The Simpsons, but I always had a feeling it was channeling some earlier bit of pop culture of which I'm unaware.

• odujosh

What you call 'selling out' I call experiementation. Artist dont  want to release another Nevermind or Blue Seude shoes. Money usually not an issue for the ones that have the option to do whatever they want. They want to explore new ideas and experiment. Add a new piece to their repritroe thats new,

Honestly when artists hear comments like the originail posters. They say to themseleves well why don't you put out an albulm thats sells thousands or milllions. What makes you such an expert is their question.

I look at a band like Queen for example. Very prolific they usually released an album a year. Each one is totally different. They had experimentation albums like Hot Space, The Game and The Miracle. But they were not selling out. They were experimenting with their sound.

In two words: being Artists.

Whether an artist is writing about his her self in their music is not important to me. I don't know bout you but I look more at whether they are good. Not how much I know about their personal life, how honest they are with their fans, or anything else that really has nothing to do with their music.

Gets off his soap box

• jamie

channeling the ghosts? :O  so that's why its called channel 9 Wink

• jamie

I like queen. they somewhat invented hip hop minimalizm with Another one bites the dust  (voted best - and worst song of that year if i remember correctly)

still though - you see the Clash - Should i stay or should i go - in a commercial for cold medicine...  eesh =  money.  or johnny lydon with the "take the money" tour or whatever.. its still "selling out" even if they make fun of it

• Charles

Ghosts?

Boo!
    C

• JChung2006

If transparency negatively affects a company's ability to be profitable, is that an indictment of the company who chooses not to be transparent or of the society the company caters to?

• NickHodge

Simpsons for the full quote

Obviously, Simpsons pulls from elsewhere in pop-culture, and would love to know where this one comes from... it's my fave of the week! Big Smile

• Massif

How about Translucency? You can see through it, but the image is slightly distorted.

How transparent does a company have to be before they're truly transparent? I mean, I don't know what my brother and sister do on a daily basis, so at what point do you say "that's a tranparent company."

What I want from C9 is relatively unfiltered explanations of cool new techs coming out of MS, and why certain decisions went certain ways. (It's interesting to hear, for example, why Windows Home Server doesn't do the things it doesn't do.)

That's all the transparency I want, if they've got some secret stuff they don't want to talk about, that's fine, so do I.

On the other hand I'm not going to pretend that just because the Devs and PMs at MS are trying to make the best product they can, that I should trust MS completely. I can realise there's stuff I don't and won't know about how the company operates, and that's fine. Like I said, there's stuff about my family I don't know.

C9 is transparent enough for me.

• irascian

odujosh wrote:

I look at a band like Queen for example. Very prolific they usually released an album a year. Each one is totally different.

Your definition of "totally different" is clearly very different from mine!

• Massif

irascian wrote:

odujosh wrote:
    I look at a band like Queen for example. Very prolific they usually released an album a year. Each one is totally different.

You mean you never heard the experimental trance/opera album?

3.5 hours of one note, played on Goat, Yak, Yurt and VW Beetle.

Brian May trained for years to be able to play the Yak, it's all in the breath control apparantly. And Mercury's virtuoso performance on the Yurt had me in a coma for three weeks.

Rolling Stone described it as: "The most astonishingly genre-defying album of the decade."
    Q said it was: "Agonisingly superfluous, repleat with rich nuance and emotional depth."
    NME said it was: "Crap."

Come on? You never heard it?

• jamie

Massif wrote:

irascian wrote: 
    odujosh wrote:

You mean you never heard the experimental trance/opera album?

3.5 hours of one note, played on Goat, Yak, Yurt and VW Beetle.

Brian May trained for years to be able to play the Yak, it's all in the breath control apparantly. And Mercury's virtuoso performance on the Yurt had me in a coma for three weeks.

Rolling Stone described it as: "The most astonishingly genre-defying album of the decade."
    Q said it was: "Agonisingly superfluous, repleat with rich nuance and emotional depth."
    NME said it was: "Crap."

Come on? You never heard it?

lol

but then they did "i want to break free" video vacumming the house in drag...   oops - thats real.. nevermind Wink

• jason818_25​3.33

Oh great, Jamie is reading again. filling his mind with ideas. and now mine Big Smile
    You make some interesting points.
    Do you think if something is absolutly transparent it might have the potential to change the very thing being looked at? isnt that kind of scary?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.