Coffeehouse Thread

64 posts

Goodbye WPF/E, Hello Silverlight

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Kevin Daly

I don't know if  you all saw this, but Tim Sneath has announced the official name of WPF/E on his blog, with some additional links and info.
    From the press release it seems the beta will be released at MIX.

But what I want to know is, how did this ever get past the Compulsory Boring Product Name Police?

After all, you're supposed to start with the cool codename and then switch to the crappy acronym blessed by corporate lawyers, but this time we seem to have gone the other way.

Nifty.

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

This is one of the best decisions MS made in recent times regarding naming products. When you're going to compete against Apollo, you'd better have a catchy name Smiley

• User profile image
    mig

Agreed.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Good name, but it does make me think of Razorlight (warning, site has sound!).

Herbie

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

It's neat but using Javascript for scripting is lame, let's see some C# support in-browser.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Best name in years! Really. Finally something that is catchy and sounds cool!

• User profile image
    eagle

Did you notice it's going to be cross-platform as in we love the Mac.

• User profile image
    Massif

eagle wrote:

Yes, that's what the E stood for in WPF/E everywhere. That's not exactly the news bit.

Although, I'm still waiting to see what the Tenth reason it's cool is, damn you Tim Sneath! Or should I call you Tim Tease?

I'm still betting on a cross-platform .NET compact edition (or micro edition.) That would be teh awesomenesses.

• User profile image
    eagle

A 72-Hour Conversation - MIX 

They had to save something for MIX07, stay tuned to Channel9....

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Screenshot from video presentation
    Quite intertsting... Cool

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    odujosh

<tongue in cheek>
    Man they totally got this wrong. Did they even consider Windows Presentation Foundation Everywhere For Zippyness on the Web Everywhere 2007 (also to be know as WPFeZWE 2007)

• User profile image
    thumbtacks2

eagle wrote:
    Speaking of cross platform, I wish somebody would revive and expand the Blender 3-D browser plug-in.

Sigh.

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:

The biggest problem with actually getting it installed there though, is having a killer app that people are willing to install the plugin for.  Flash has such a headstart in terms of installations that if it is only used for small trivial apps then why would anyone go to the trouble of installing it.

• User profile image
    intrepid

eagle wrote:

I think it's more cross-platform as in we know that Mac users dominate the graphics market (for no good reason) so this should keep those fools happy. And obviously cross-platform support will help us sell our product...

• User profile image
    stevo_

Whoa, that has the be the coolest logo Microsoft has used (end of the cheesy video).

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

Rossj wrote:

eagle wrote: Did you notice it's going to be cross-platform as in we love the Mac.

The biggest problem with actually getting it installed there though, is having a killer app that people are willing to install the plugin for.  Flash has such a headstart in terms of installations that if it is only used for small trivial apps then why would anyone go to the trouble of installing it.

or somehow automatically installing it if it is not already installed on a given computer (Response.Redirect or something..).

• User profile image
    jamie

but what IS it?

you can trade mark...jello?

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

stevo_ wrote:
    Whoa, that has the be the coolest logo Microsoft has used (end of the cheesy video).

Yeah, logo is perfect!

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.