Coffeehouse Thread

64 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Goodbye WPF/E, Hello Silverlight

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dentaku

I'd like to know what software was used to make that logo.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Bas wrote:

jamie wrote:...needs linux support

For what does it 'need' it?

We've had this before .... say C9 switched to using only silverlight for delivering content - you are no longer able to evangelise to Linux developers as they can no longer watch the videos. It was bad enough when they were almost unviewable on OSX ...

The whole point of evangelism is to show people what is available to make their job easier, should you joing their group.  How can you do this with Linux users/developers if they can't see what you are talking about?

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Rossj wrote:

eagle wrote: Did you notice it's going to be cross-platform as in we love the Mac.

The biggest problem with actually getting it installed there though, is having a killer app that people are willing to install the plugin for.  Flash has such a headstart in terms of installations that if it is only used for small trivial apps then why would anyone go to the trouble of installing it.

Well then you are going to miss out on all the great web site intros developers are surely to do first. I mean are you willing to miss out on stuff like this: http://www.newbirth.org/ ....thought so!

• User profile image
    Sampy

C9 v4, as 10 does today, will offer the videos in mp4 format that will play on iPods, PSPs, and many platforms.

Silverlight only allows us to replace in the in-browser player. Users will always be able to get our videos on non-MS, non-Apple platforms. Jeff is really passionate about that.

Will your experience be 100% equal to someone in a "mainstream" browser. Probably not. But guess what? We (the EvNet team) don't have infinite time to spend supporting everything on the planet. We try to do our best, we really really do. But some things get cut just like any other software project.

Going after Windows and Apple is a good first step. Saying "this is 100% worthless since it doesn't run on Linux" isn't true. (Not that I'm saying you said that Jamie) Would Linux support rule? Of course it would. Is it coming? I don't know. WMV has awesome server and streaming features that Flash video doesn't have. A client that ran on every major platform that could stream WMV would be a great thing. I hope they bring it to Linux as much as you guys do. It would make our life a lot easier too.

• User profile image
    jamie

understood.

my main point was pretend you worked elsewhere sampy - and you really like silverlight - and new how to program for it - but the company platform was on linux

right there it would be dead as an option

its too bad.. id like to use it / push for it

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Sampy,

As for Linux support:

If Silverlight were supported Linux, you would also be supporting *BSD and Solaris.

How?

Solaris and BSD have add-on Linux system call layers that allow Linux applications to run as if they were native.

This is how *BSD users are able to get Flashplayer.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Like I said, porting it to Linux would be hot. I have no power in that choice, however. There are plenty of voices inside MS as well as outside that are asking and begging for this. I'm not sure how well it's working but know that it's being heard.

But who knows, maybe gui.cs will kill everything Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jamie

Rossj wrote:
    Hmmm.....

haha

• User profile image
    thumbtacks2

If anything Jamie (and Sampy, too), I would see this as an opportunity for developers using Linux to step up and develop a related technology of their own.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jamie wrote:

Rossj wrote:Hmmm.....

haha

ROFL

pacman

• User profile image
    Rossj

Sampy wrote:
    But who knows, maybe gui.cs will kill everything

World Domination is only a VT220 away... in all seriousness though I have a use for this on a piece of server code I am shipping where we only occassionally need a 'graphical' view and gui.cs is likely to be a little more lightweight than Winforms or WPF Smiley

• User profile image
    thumbtacks2

emet wrote:

thumbtacks2 wrote: If anything Jamie (and Sampy, too), I would see this as an opportunity for developers using Linux to step up and develop a related technology of their own.
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=301142
    But what if the rug gets pulled out from under the Mono Project? Plus, I was thinking more along the lines of something based on OpenGL...throw in a basic XML parser...etc. How hard is to write a browser plug in anyway? Not that I want to get started on that right now...

• User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    harumscarum

Cybermagellan wrote:

jamie wrote: 
    Rossj wrote: Hmmm.....

haha

ROFL

pacman

haha

those yellow pills should be adobe logos.

• User profile image
    Charles

Rossj wrote:

Bas wrote: 
    jamie wrote: ...needs linux support

For what does it 'need' it?

We've had this before .... say C9 switched to using only silverlight for delivering content - you are no longer able to evangelise to Linux developers as they can no longer watch the videos. It was bad enough when they were almost unviewable on OSX ...

The whole point of evangelism is to show people what is available to make their job easier, should you joing their group.  How can you do this with Linux users/developers if they can't see what you are talking about?

We will not only deliver content in one way, Silverlight or whatever. Believe it or not, we get it....

C

• User profile image
    Rossj

Charles wrote:
    Believe it or not, we get it....

I know this, I was just letting Bas know the arguments.

• User profile image
    raymond

jamie wrote:

MS - we need a name for our flash killer

Marketing: brainstorming session:

what sentences use flash?

"a flash of blinding light?"

light = flash - good

"flash light?"

cant have flash in it

what colour is a flash?

white?

whitelight?

sounds like light brite

whats the next closest color to white?

silver?

Silver light?

hey like silver back king gorilla

drinks all around! 

Golden Rays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rays

Platinum Pulsars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar

Instead of Blend call it Mash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mash

Microsoft Marketing are you listening? Wink

Cool

• User profile image
    Bas

Rossj wrote:

Good point, but that's not a reason for Silverlight to need linux support. That's a reason for C9 to use other methods of content delivery than just Silverlight. If Silverlight was an evangelism-tool, sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it supported on as many platforms as possible. After OSX, Linux is a pretty obvious choice of platform to support. But I'm wondering why it 'needs' support. To become succesful? To be used at all? What?

Also, I'm kind of amazed that whenever the 'linux rocks/sucks because...' argument pops up, the standard answer is alway "Wine solves everything." So why doesn't Wine solve everything in this case?

Anyway, whole different argument.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.