Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Why I'm An Utter Dork

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JasonOlson

    [UPDATE: I'm a dork. I'm causing the exact type of drama I HATE to see. Ignore this. Just chaulk it up to me waking up on the wrong side of the bed. ARG, why can't I just delete this thread Tongue Out]

    That is all. I can't stand it anymore. Evidently voicing one's opinion (even if it is in reaction to someone else's opinion) gets you flamed no matter what you are, who you are, what you've contributed in the past, etc.

    For the niners I've chatted with privately, I'll miss you. Everyone else, forget about it. It's not worth the time and effort.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    bye jason... oneof my favorite posters...   [C]

  • User profile image
    JasonOlson

    irascian wrote:
    And so it goes on.

    If anyone else has the temerity to voice their opinion (and say "grow a thicker skin") they're "flaming".

    But if the poster voices their opinion which includes calling others "unprofessional", that's all they're doing "voicing their opinion".

    And then we get the inevitable "I'm throwing my toys out the pram and leaving" if someone points out they're being hypocritical.

    Like I said, VERY professional.



    Yes, Scott had EVERY right to say what he said. I had every right to say what I said. Yes, it was ironic because it wasn't professional (on both sides). I was venting just like Scott was. Somehow, you thought that IIIIIII was the _bit*h_.

    It's such a double standard, Rory and Scoble can go at it for days on end, but you and I start having one debate, and I have NO CHANCE to respond to you. I would have loved to have a constructive debate with you, but it gets locked?!?!?!? In the coffeehouse?!?!? Bullsh*t. It's just a waste of time.

    I'm sorry, but at one time I loved the community because we all could rant like this from time to time since we were all friends. I don't suppose I'm mad at you. I'm mad at Charles, truth be told. I'm mad at the Channel 9 staff, I'm just in a bad mood overall. A community I used to love has devolved to sh*t. We STILL have AWESOME videos/screencasts/everything, but the community interaction is so full of egg shells now.

    And here I am being a total clown puncher myself since I'm already posting again Tongue Out.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Jason for CEO!  Wink

    *welcome back

  • User profile image
    JasonOlson

    And I NEVER said I was being professional. I claimed nothing more than to be sharing my opinion, just like Scott.

    How can I NOT get offended when someone directly calls me "not worth it" and that I'm basically useless? Especially someone who has "clout". Defending your company is right.

    I don't mind "growing a thicker skin." It's one thing when these claims are made by a troll, it's another thing altogether when they are made by someone who is respected in the community.

    But hell, if I were Rory, everyone would be cheering for me. But I'm not, so I'm just a whiney, sniveling, no-for-good M$ employee.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    we need  quake.channel9.msdn.com

  • User profile image
    irascian

    And so it goes on.

    If anyone else has the temerity to voice their opinion (and say "grow a thicker skin") they're "flaming".

    But if the poster voices their opinion which includes calling others "unprofessional", that's all they're doing "voicing their opinion".

    And then we get the inevitable "I'm throwing my toys out the pram and leaving" if someone points out they're being hypocritical.

    Like I said, VERY professional.

    P.S. Why on earth would leaving here have ANY effect on your "chatting privately" with niners? There is no chat room facility here and you appear to be saying "I'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater" which is Angel insulting to those people you say you enjoyed chatting privately with and (b)  kind of justifies the point I made about how comments about "look how proud I am of what I did here" can come across as "arrogance" or "ego".

  • User profile image
    Jaz

    Each time i visit here my Smiley turns more into a Sad.  Today more so.

    I urge you to rethink Jason, you have been posting here for a long time and it's awesome to have some softies interacting with the community.

    There are plenty of trolls on C9 who have nothing better to do than try and annoy us (and it works which makes me sad), Ian isn't at all one of those, nor is Ross. 

    Neither of them are attacking you or MS.  They're saying yes there are critics of MS and sometimes you need to read what those critics say (if at least constructive) and take in something, you can't always ignore what is being said because whatever you do won't be 100% perfect.

    so cool down, drink some kool aid and come back to us, we can forget this post ever happened.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    JasonOlson wrote:
    
    irascian wrote: And so it goes on.

    If anyone else has the temerity to voice their opinion (and say "grow a thicker skin") they're "flaming".

    But if the poster voices their opinion which includes calling others "unprofessional", that's all they're doing "voicing their opinion".

    And then we get the inevitable "I'm throwing my toys out the pram and leaving" if someone points out they're being hypocritical.

    Like I said, VERY professional.



    Yes, Scott had EVERY right to say what he said. I had every right to say what I said. Yes, it was ironic because it wasn't professional (on both sides). I was venting just like Scott was. Somehow, you thought that IIIIIII was the _bit*h_.

    It's such a double standard, Rory and Scoble can go at it for days on end, but you and I start having one debate, and I have NO CHANCE to respond to you. I would have loved to have a constructive debate with you, but it gets locked?!?!?!? In the coffeehouse?!?!? Bullsh*t. It's just a waste of time.

    I'm sorry, but at one time I loved the community because we all could rant like this from time to time since we were all friends. I don't suppose I'm mad at you. I'm mad at Charles, truth be told. I'm mad at the Channel 9 staff, I'm just in a bad mood overall. A community I used to love has devolved to sh*t. We STILL have AWESOME videos/screencasts/everything, but the community interaction is so full of egg shells now.

    And here I am being a total clown puncher myself since I'm already posting again .


    Why are you mad at me??? All I did was lock a thread that was spinning out of control. That's what mods are supposed to do.

    C

  • User profile image
    JasonOlson

    jamie wrote:
    we need  quake.channel9.msdn.com



    ++. I think I'm just moody today and need some fragging. When someone respectable calls me worthless (Scott, not Irascian), I have to challenge him to a dual. He's offending my honor.

  • User profile image
    JasonOlson

    Jaz wrote:
    Each time i visit here my turns more into a .  Today more so.

    I urge you to rethink Jason, you have been posting here for a long time and it's awesome to have some softies interacting with the community.

    There are plenty of trolls on C9 who have nothing better to do than try and annoy us (and it works which makes me sad), Ian isn't at all one of those, nor is Ross. 

    Neither of them are attacking you or MS.  They're saying yes there are critics of MS and sometimes you need to read what those critics say (if at least constructive) and take in something, you can't always ignore what is being said because whatever you do won't be 100% perfect.

    so cool down, drink some kool aid and come back to us, we can forget this post ever happened.


    I have no problem accepting criticism. In fact, Scott's follow-up post was *AWESOME*. He has some great constructive ideas. He could voice it that way instead of saying that all of us at MS are worthless morons.

    I ONLY posted my opinion here on Channel 9 because I thought it would be some fun discourse (it IS the cofeehouse, after all). I'm wondering though if there isn't some truth to all the trolls concerns about Channel 9 though.

  • User profile image
    JasonOlson

    Charles wrote:
    
    JasonOlson wrote: 
    irascian wrote: And so it goes on.

    If anyone else has the temerity to voice their opinion (and say "grow a thicker skin") they're "flaming".

    But if the poster voices their opinion which includes calling others "unprofessional", that's all they're doing "voicing their opinion".

    And then we get the inevitable "I'm throwing my toys out the pram and leaving" if someone points out they're being hypocritical.

    Like I said, VERY professional.



    Yes, Scott had EVERY right to say what he said. I had every right to say what I said. Yes, it was ironic because it wasn't professional (on both sides). I was venting just like Scott was. Somehow, you thought that IIIIIII was the _bit*h_.

    It's such a double standard, Rory and Scoble can go at it for days on end, but you and I start having one debate, and I have NO CHANCE to respond to you. I would have loved to have a constructive debate with you, but it gets locked?!?!?!? In the coffeehouse?!?!? Bullsh*t. It's just a waste of time.

    I'm sorry, but at one time I loved the community because we all could rant like this from time to time since we were all friends. I don't suppose I'm mad at you. I'm mad at Charles, truth be told. I'm mad at the Channel 9 staff, I'm just in a bad mood overall. A community I used to love has devolved to sh*t. We STILL have AWESOME videos/screencasts/everything, but the community interaction is so full of egg shells now.

    And here I am being a total clown puncher myself since I'm already posting again .


    Why are you mad at me??? All I did was lock a thread that was spinning out of control. That's what mods are supposed to do.

    C


    It's because of the timing. We can have trolls flaming threads right and left, with no banning or locking happening. But no, I let off one rant, and it gets locked. Hell, look at how long Rory's and Scoble's threads went without getting locked. It was a little too "lock happy."

    And I had ZERO opportunity to clarify my position. I simply stated that I was personally insulted because someone insulted my honor, and I have NO chance to defend myself.

    I think I'm just in a bad mood, so I don't want to say anything I'll regret, so I'll shut up. Needless to say, that I'm not holding out any hope.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    OK. Thread unlocked. Retort away...

    Don't leave, Jason. I know where your office is.... Smiley

    C

  • User profile image
    irascian

    JasonOlson wrote:
    And I NEVER said I was being professional. I claimed nothing more than to be sharing my opinion, just like Scott.

    How can I NOT get offended when someone directly calls me "not worth it" and that I'm basically useless? Especially someone who has "clout". Defending your company is right.

    I don't mind "growing a thicker skin." It's one thing when these claims are made by a troll, it's another thing altogether when they are made by someone who is respected in the community.

    But hell, if I were Rory, everyone would be cheering for me. But I'm not, so I'm just a whiney, sniveling, no-for-good M$ employee.


    Well I think if you did a straw poll here on C9 you'd actually find YOU had more clout than Scott. These things are all relative and I think you're reading way too much into them. You have a bunch of people who are glad you're here and want you to stay so why not stick with them and ignore those whose opinions you disagree with. Isn't that what we all do in real life?

    It's true you didn't say you were being professional, but you did say that if you were the one making the decisions you would strip Scott of his MVP for reasons you gave as simply being because you felt that in expressing his opinion he had not been "Professional" (those were your words, not mine). By exactly the same measure you were expressing your opinion. It's not too much of a stretch to say that by your own expressed measure of what is professional and what isn't you broke your own rules.

    Try and get a good night's sleep and then look at the positive support you've had, and think how you'd react if you were Charles (the moderator) and you'd seen endless squabbling on the boards. You've already indicated you've got sick of it over the last few weeks. If you were a moderator, wouldn't you have reached the point where you were so sick of it you'd lock the thread too? Don't take the fact it was a thread you commented on which got locked personally - it's just an unlucky straw that broke the camel's back.

    I promise this is my last post on this topic. Stick around. You have friends here, are generally, as far as I can make out, very well respected and appreciated. And besides I might have nobody to argue with if you go Wink



  • User profile image
    staceyw

    Come on Jason.  Your the man.  I have enjoyed all your posts I have read and look forward to them.  Someone with some real knowledge that actually takes time to share is rare.  I have not read the thread this refers to.   Please stay as you one of the few good guys.  I just ignore most of that other stuff now.  When you see a troll, just remember they are probably 14.  Charles, we can't afford to loose folks like Jason, lets figure this out.  What can I do?

  • User profile image
    JasonOlson

    I think you all should just ignore me. I'm being the type of drama queen that has always pissed me off. I'm just stressed about all sorts of things and the locking of the other thread without a chance to defend myself pissed me off.

    Irascian, you have some *excellent* points. I strongly debated with myself whether to include the comment about the MVP status or not. The fact is, Scott does a CRAP LOAD for the community and that can't be ignored. I was going to say "well, I'm not an MVP so I don't have the same standard", but that's not right. I think as an MS employee, I should be held up to the same standards.

    I think in a lot of ways, this was just the last straw for me in my sanity of the day. Oy! I really wish I could delete this thread now, it will annoy me FOREVER. I'm acting like the type of person I hate to see Tongue Out.

  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

    So your staying..... Big Smile Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Rory

    JasonOlson wrote:
    And I NEVER said I was being professional. I claimed nothing more than to be sharing my opinion, just like Scott.

    How can I NOT get offended when someone directly calls me "not worth it" and that I'm basically useless? Especially someone who has "clout". Defending your company is right.

    I don't mind "growing a thicker skin." It's one thing when these claims are made by a troll, it's another thing altogether when they are made by someone who is respected in the community.

    But hell, if I were Rory, everyone would be cheering for me. But I'm not, so I'm just a whiney, sniveling, no-for-good M$ employee.


    Dude...

    First off, I can empathize with your frustration. Being an MS employee is hard if you actually care about what you do. Obviously, just as with any company, there are people here who show up just because it's a job, but you and I grew up professionaly around MS, and getting jobs here was important for both of us.

    But, think back to our conversation at lunch - I told you why I haven't been writing much lately. The fact is, people don't cheer for me. Some will agree, and some won't - just as Jamie said he'd miss you, and Ian expressed a different opinion.

    I don't want anyone to think that I get special treatment, because I really don't. I've screwed up a lot, and I've gotten called out on it a lot (as a side note, it's not the legitimate complaints that have gotten to me - it's every single time someone has written in expressly for the purpose of slamming me out of some immature impulse).

    If you go back and look at the Rory-Scoble fight-a-thon, people were slamming both of us for what was a very childish expression of our feelings. I was angry because I was sick of him slamming companies. That one about MS pushed me over the edge. There you go.

    Still, I did take quite a few punches over that. On my blog, over email, in here... people weren't happy.

    I consider you to be one of my closest friends in this industry. I respect your opinion and I enjoy your company. My blog has probably been the source of more pain in my life than any other single thing (aside from the unavoidable familial tragedies we all deal with), and I'd like it if that didn't cross over into our friendship.

    You're mad, and it's understandable. Scott was a baby about the way he mouthed off, you didn't show a lot of restraint in your response, Charles is frustrated because he loves 9 and is probably getting tired of all the negativity...

    We care about this stuff, which is why we're here to begin with, and there are going to be days when things don't line up the way we'd like them to. It's all right, yo. Things suck today, but you'll feel better tomorrow. Maybe not much, but a little. Then a little more the day after, and so on. It doesn't mean that Scott behaved well, nor does it mean you shouldn't feel justified in your anger, but... well, this is going to sound really stupid coming from me...

    It isn't worth it. The result of all my fighting with Scoble? Nothing's changed. He hasn't learned anything. Somewhere along the way, I strayed from my message and the reason I started in on him in the first place... my mood went south... it really bothered me, and it wasn't until I forced myself to stay away from a PC for a weekend that I was able to get the perspective I needed to feel better about things.

    I wish that someone had come along and physically restrained me, as issues of that nature get so far under your skin that you don't even realize just how crazy it's all getting.

    For the rest of the day - and this is just advice from a friend who recently went through something similar - don't think about Scott. Don't think about the locked thread. Nobody in here thinks any differently of you. You're just going to get stressed out over nothing. You'll be surprised at how quickly the anger fades once you walk away. It was the best possible thing I could have done, even though I did it way too late.

    You're a lucky guy. You've got that wife person who loves you, and you have a kid thing on the way. That's so much more important than the Coffeehouse, Channel 9, Microsoft, or what some guy has to say about the company.

    Focus on the good stuff. You will feel better.

    Just an opinion...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.