Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why I'm An Utter Dork

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

Well Jason, at least you are drama queen about something that's actually interesting.

There are 10's of other troll topics started by previously banned members that are not locked and when we finally have an interesting discussion it suddenly gets locked.

As for what that mvp-guy did, he should now better. He is in a much better position (than us on this forum) to actually make a difference in a certain product. He's much closer to Microsoft so why doesn't he try to make at least some suggestions and post constructive critisism about how to improve a product instead of saying it's 'teh suck, M$ sucks too'.

There are things you can and cannot do in a position (like mvp). For example: Bill Gates will never admit that Windows ME was a terrible mistake because he could potentially kill Microsoft by saying something like that.

• User profile image
    irascian

Great post Rory!

(Shucks, I feel a group hug coming on)

I think I must be wired different from everyone else because I take insults as a result of my blog entries as a sense of achievement (I just make sure comments are moderated and don't publish the really moronic ones, or the ever-increasing spam ones). Yesterday I got an Aussie who hunted out my email address just so he could tell me "read your 300 review. ive come to conclusion. your a wanker".

It's posts like that which somehow make it all worthwhile Wink

Sorry to hear your blog has been the source of pain. I've read comments from many people on your blog which make it clear you have quite a following. I can't think of many people who could blog they're going to be in London for a bite to eat and have a whole bunch of "strangers" make an effort to come and join him. That's popularity, right there! Some of us will happily defend your reputation even on the rare occasions we disagree with you, and most of that has stemmed from what we've come to know about you through your blog. Hopefully the number of people who clearly get a kick out of reading your stuff makes up for all the jerks there are around. You always get jerks, no matter who you are, no matter what you do. Just ignore them or they've won.

By the way if you were serious when you said "I wish that someone had come along and physically restrained me" I think I know some folks who would definitely get off on that Wink (Dang, there I was being all honest and emotional and I had to finish it all off with a cheap "gay" joke). 

• User profile image
    AndyC

irascian wrote:

I think I must be wired different from everyone else because I take insults as a result of my blog entries as a sense of achievement 

I think that kind of attitude helps. Though as a sysadmin I don't need a blog to get that kind of abuse, I have users* for that.

*At least that's what they are called in polite conversation

• User profile image
    irascian

AndyC wrote:

I think that kind of attitude helps. Though as a sysadmin I don't need a blog to get that kind of abuse, I have users* for that.

*At least that's what they are called in polite conversation

I have a t-shirt from "Think Geek" which I wear if I think I'm going to have to deal with those users. I don't have it to hand, but it says something along the lines of the following:

"Select * from Users
     Where Clue >0
     > 0 rows returned"

Fortunately, most of them don't have any idea what it means Wink

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

irascian wrote:
    Yesterday I got an Aussie who hunted out my email address just so he could tell me "read your 300 review. ive come to conclusion. your a wanker".

I assume the response was something along the lines of:
    So does that mean that you do, or that you don't want to shake my hand... Smiley

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

Dude, you got upset over something Scott Bellware said?!?!

More from the Scott Bellware hall of fame.

Every time I start to respond to a post of his, I realize he just isn't worth the effort. He may be the kind of guy I could sit down with on a hot day and have a beer with. But I have a feeling he would spend most of the time telling me what a bad choice I made when I ordered my beer and how his beer was better.

• User profile image
    JKelley

<walks in from sitting by the pool for a week with a Pina Colada in hand>

Hey guys what'd I miss? Wink

P.S. That was rhetorical please don't spend 4 more pages describing the latest forum melt-down.

• User profile image
    jolson88

JKelley wrote:
    <walks in from sitting by the pool for a week with a Pina Colada in hand>

Hey guys what'd I miss?

P.S. That was rhetorical please don't spend 4 more pages describing the latest forum melt-down.

Me being a dork, that is all.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

JasonOlson wrote:

JKelley wrote:<walks in from sitting by the pool for a week with a Pina Colada in hand>

Hey guys what'd I miss?

don't worry be happy, we love you, and don't leave Tongue Out

• User profile image
    eagle

Tomorrow is another day....

• User profile image
    LaBomba

eagle wrote:
    Tomorrow is another day....

that's what ballmer's been telling shareholders

• User profile image
    blowdart

JasonOlson wrote:

Obviously you upset us all. And now you must pay. I expect a cheque to cover my hurt in the next few days Tongue Out

(You know what, I don't view it as being a dork, I view it as being passionate about your job and your colleagues (errr, you know what I mean). And that's not a bad thing. Mind you, I'm not the best person to comment on how to behave *grin*)

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Tomorrow is another day... Sounds like a Bond-movie. Jason, you're one of the good guys. If there were more women here, we would have a Jason Cheerleader Squad. J..A..S..O..N... JASON!!!

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

JasonOlson wrote:
    And I NEVER said I was being professional. I claimed nothing more than to be sharing my opinion, just like Scott.

How can I NOT get offended when someone directly calls me "not worth it" and that I'm basically useless? Especially someone who has "clout". Defending your company is right.

I don't mind "growing a thicker skin." It's one thing when these claims are made by a troll, it's another thing altogether when they are made by someone who is respected in the community.

But hell, if I were Rory, everyone would be cheering for me. But I'm not, so I'm just a whiney, sniveling, no-for-good M$ employee.

I haven’t read the rest of the thread yet.

Jason, I actually wish you would post more often here.

But I also think your getting worked up over this a little much, seems to be a common sickness here on C9 lately, to which MS employees are not immune.

Criticism is a good thing, both toward your company and you as an individual. In most aspects should be considered a learning exercise for improvement rather than a critical attack on your person.

However I do understand the passion in yourself, Rory and Scoble. It’s inevitable when you love what you do, the company you work for, and believe whole heartedly that your doing the right thing. But believing it doesn’t make it so. So often in the heat of our passion we say things, or read things out of context. But you know what that’s OK. It’s part of our being.

It’s difficult to debate when we are so passionate about something with those that would counter our claims. Often we say wrong or incorrect things because we believe it. It doesn’t make you a bad person nor does it thwart your persona.

What’s the point of C9 if MS is not there to participate in the discussion. MS needs to keep context and perspective in those discussions so as to learn why folks feel that way. What is it about our company and products that make people talk in that fashion.

Don’t belittle, just listen, and attempt to turn the discussion into a constructive experience. It’s not to be seen as a competition of right or wrong. You said it now prove it. Etc.. There is as I’ve said before a wealth of experience and intelligence in all facets of technology here.

Extract that knowledge little by little. Sure allot is crap, but finding 2 constructive posts out of 100 that you can learn from, and apply that to yourself or what you do is worth the time and patience here.

At least that’s my view point.

All that said, I do really hope you hang around, and post more often.

Smiley

• User profile image
    jolson88

Sourcecode wrote:

JasonOlson wrote: And I NEVER said I was being professional. I claimed nothing more than to be sharing my opinion, just like Scott.

How can I NOT get offended when someone directly calls me "not worth it" and that I'm basically useless? Especially someone who has "clout". Defending your company is right.

I don't mind "growing a thicker skin." It's one thing when these claims are made by a troll, it's another thing altogether when they are made by someone who is respected in the community.

But hell, if I were Rory, everyone would be cheering for me. But I'm not, so I'm just a whiney, sniveling, no-for-good M$ employee.

I haven’t read the rest of the thread yet.

Jason, I actually wish you would post more often here.

But I also think your getting worked up over this a little much, seems to be a common sickness here on C9 lately, to which MS employees are not immune.

Criticism is a good thing, both toward your company and you as an individual. In most aspects should be considered a learning exercise for improvement rather than a critical attack on your person.

However I do understand the passion in yourself, Rory and Scoble. It’s inevitable when you love what you do, the company you work for, and believe whole heartedly that your doing the right thing. But believing it doesn’t make it so. So often in the heat of our passion we say things, or read things out of context. But you know what that’s OK. It’s part of our being.

It’s difficult to debate when we are so passionate about something with those that would counter our claims. Often we say wrong or incorrect things because we believe it. It doesn’t make you a bad person nor does it thwart your persona.

What’s the point of C9 if MS is not there to participate in the discussion. MS needs to keep context and perspective in those discussions so as to learn why folks feel that way. What is it about our company and products that make people talk in that fashion.

Don’t belittle, just listen, and attempt to turn the discussion into a constructive experience. It’s not to be seen as a competition of right or wrong. You said it now prove it. Etc.. There is as I’ve said before a wealth of experience and intelligence in all facets of technology here.

Extract that knowledge little by little. Sure allot is crap, but finding 2 constructive posts out of 100 that you can learn from, and apply that to yourself or what you do is worth the time and patience here.

At least that’s my view point.

All that said, I do really hope you hang around, and post more often.

Great post Sourcecode. And I think you are basically 100% on with your assesment.

• User profile image
    blowdart

JasonOlson wrote:

I don't mind "growing a thicker skin."

You use that avatar and don't have a thick skin? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jolson88

blowdart wrote:

JasonOlson wrote: 

I don't mind "growing a thicker skin."

You use that avatar and don't have a thick skin?

LOL. Yes, and it's because I *know* I'm a fat ugly bast*rd Tongue Out. LOL.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I'm not going to try to take credit for inventing this term, but we used to use it a lot when I worked on a project that was built from the ground up:

Ugly Baby Syndrome.

Basically, it's an allegory to the parent that has an ugly baby.  The parent may know, deep down, that the baby is ugly, but if someone walks up and says "Your baby is ugly" the end result is never good.

Same with any group, project, employer, etc.  If you work long enough on something, you don't take too kindly to having someone call your 'baby' ugly.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.