Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

why does MS force users to call support for unreleased updates?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

does this has any sense? every time I need an hotfix that is not released (still in testing) I'm forced to call MS and give my credit card info (hoping they don't charge me).

why doesn't MS simply release those updates with a clear WARNING to inform the user that the update is for testing purposes before installing? I doubt that opening up the patch system could make things worse...

• User profile image
    blowdart

In the UK you don't get asked for the credit card. And the reasoning I've been told is so they can track who has the patch in case they need to revoke it.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

blowdart wrote:
    In the UK you don't get asked for the credit card. And the reasoning I've been told is so they can track who has the patch in case they need to revoke it.

couldn't they simply require the user to register or enter his email to contact the user again (they do this with MS expressions for example)? having to call the support and supplying a product-key or giving out personal info is extremely annoying.

• User profile image
    Jorgie

The formal request process...

1. ...makes people think twice before applying patches that do not apply to thier problem. (You would be amazed at the number of people that will apply every patch they can get their hands on even if they don't need them.)
    2. ...opens up two way communication to allow MS to give you updated information on a hotfix and to allow you to report that the hotfix worked or if it caused any problems.
    3. ...provides realtime feedback on the number of people that really need a hotfix.

In other words it helps them gather the information they need both to decide how big the problem is and how to fix it.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.