Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

networking help please

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

hey guys, could do with a little help.

i have a network with 3pc's on a netgear DG834, which is an adsl modem and switch.  i'm having a problem with 2.

one is an xp pro with sp2 installed and the other xp home with sp1.  now ive shared  folder on the xp pro machine and the home machine can see this but not access it.  ive turned off simple file sharing, and put both onto the workgroup home.

permissions seem to be set to everyone on the pro machine, but still he can't browse the folder.

can anyone help, msn me on cd_guy@hotmail.com

cd UNDERSCORE guy AT hotmail DOT com

• User profile image
    Manip

Properties > Security > Add > Advanced > Find Now > Everyone > Ok > ok > 'Everyone' > Full Control (or whatever.. )

• User profile image
    Jaz

nope not working. right the 3rd comp can access me and i can access it, thtas xp sp1 pro.

so whats going on

• User profile image
    Jaz

right, i'm on a board with lots of people who develop for windows, who have microsoft certifications, and people who work for MS, developing windows, office, VS and stuff, and yet no one can help me or spare a little time to what probably is a simple problem.

Sad

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab, check File and Printer Sharing, click OK.

If that doesn't help, check that both machines are on the same IP subnet and that you can ping the server from the client machine (Windows Firewall by default rejects ICMP echo request messages used by ping, but anything that opens port 445, such as the setting above, re-enables it).

Also try addressing the server by name rather than using My Network Places. Start > Run > type '\\servername' and press Enter.

• User profile image
    Jaz

thanks Mike

theyre both on the same subnet if you mean this: Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

and firewall isn't on

• User profile image
    eagle

Windows XP Home has some networking features disabled so it cannot be used in an office.

• User profile image
    Jaz

i swear he saw me last year when we were ona  network setup by our halls, and my 2 XP Home machines that i have at err home, could see me.  somethings not right, it must be a setting i'm missing.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

A user is a security principal in xp, and receive permissions to access resources on the local system.
    When a user logs on, a access token is created. A copy of it is assosiated with every process that runs under the users credentials.
    The token is used to determine what information the user can acess and what operations that can be performed.
    The actions that a user can perform are devided into two categories, rights and permissions.
    Rights define what operations that can be performed, permissions define what resources that can be accessed and the level of access given.

So you need to create a user account and give it a password(network access is denied if you have null password), configure appropriate ntfs/and share rights
    (turn of simple file sharing if that is enabled)
    Use that account to map the shared resources from windows explorer.
    Tools-->map network drive

• User profile image
    Jaz

nope still not working

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

file and printer sharing for microsoft networks are enabled?

• User profile image
    Jaz

sure is

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

you say that the home machine can see the shared folder, but not access it.
    Do you get any error messages?

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

enable the icf, in the exceptions tab, click add port. Add 137, 138, 139, 445 and, in change scope, select my subnet only.

• User profile image
    Jaz

prog_dotnet wrote:
    enable the icf, in the exceptions tab, click add port. Add 137, 138, 139, 445 and, in change scope, select my subnet only.

Cheers i'll take a look later to see if this is the problem.  I know the XP pro machine has all this set already.

and Beer, cheers but i'm not going to use linux to sort something that should be so simple to fix

• User profile image
    Jaz

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

it seems that the xp home computer cant resolve the computer name to its appropriate ip adress.
    For networks were the clients do not have an appropriate dns record in a dns server(like your workgroup), the creation of a local host table file, called a Hosts file, can provide host name resolution. XP Pro/home can be configured to search Hosts for mappings of remote host names to IP addresses. For example, the entry for a computer with an address of 10.30.11.12 and a host name of cdguy would be; 10.30.11.12 cdguy 
    You will find an excample of the host table, in the following folder (xp pro)
    systemroot\system32\drivers\etc.

• User profile image
    mathiaspett​ersson@msn.​com

3:rd party FW? I always forget about mine since Windows FW sort of made it obsolete.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.