Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Trusting IE again

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Has the amount of trust for IE7 increased amongst the C9 crowd?  Who uses it as the default browser?  Or does Firefox/Opera/Safari still rule?  For those that dont use it as your default browser, what would have to change for you to trust IE again?

Discuss not flame.

• User profile image
    Bas

I use it as the default on all my PC's. Before that, I used IE6. I find that if you know what you're doing, it's very hard to get burned by IE6's security issues.

• User profile image
    Tabibito

Same.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rjdohnert wrote:
    Has the amount of trust for IE7 increased amongst the C9 crowd?  Who uses it as the default browser?  Or does Firefox/Opera/Safari still rule?  For those that dont use it as your default browser, what would have to change for you to trust IE again?

Discuss not flame.

I "trust" IE7 as much as I trust all the other browsers (i.e. I trust IE7 not to allow any drive-bys and to inform me of any suspicious activity).

But I don't use it as my primary for a number of reasons:
    • Still need IE6 on this machine for testing websites (but I've got it elsewhere: my laptop, server, and a vpc)
    • I don't like the new UI
      • Tabs don't look good
      • UI is slower, it's like they've hardcoded delays again
      • UI feels clunkier
      • The menubar looks terrible, sabotage?
    • I'm still a little uneasy about security, there were a few major exploits mentioned since IE7's release; but less for FF

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

I switched from Opera to IE when version 7 came out. I love it Smiley

@Webbo:
    Strange, on the some other computer with XP installed it was more like opposite. IE7 UI is much faster than was old IE6.

Also I like tabs and whole UI. Had IE7 skin on Opera for some time Big Smile

• User profile image
    sushovande

on IE7 here as default. Before that I was on IE6.

• User profile image
    zian

Bas wrote:
    I use it as the default on all my PC's. Before that, I used IE6. I find that if you know what you're doing, it's very hard to get burned by IE6's security issues.

Same here

• User profile image
    irascian

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

Strange, on the some other computer with XP installed it was more like opposite. IE7 UI is much faster than was old IE6.

I'm with Webbo on this. Overall I like iE7 but the performance really sucks when opening a new tab or starting iE up on all my PCs. It sits with "Connecting..." on the first tab/new tab seemingly forever. What's really annoying is you can't make any use of that time at all. You type in the URL (my default is set to blank page) and then when the tab finally completes it trashes your URL so that you have to type it again. So the long start-up time means you can't do anything. Very much a step backwards in the whole browser experience as a result.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Still using FireFox I'm afraid.

I don't like the positioning of the buttons in IE for one thing; could be because I'm a left-handed mouse user (and please, I've heard all the jokes about this one, so save yourselves a few keystrokes ... Big Smile)

• User profile image
    cornelius

looks like theres a problem with your connection or slow proxy

for me IE7 is alot faster tan IE6 and much faster than firefox
    it takes good 10 seconds for firefox to switch on while its only 1 second for internet explorer

also i love the new font smoothin thingie and the UI is more intuitive

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

I never stopped trusting IE, it never gave me personally, any reason not to trust it.  On the other hand, Firefox is making me almost start trusting Netscape. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Still using FF, don't like the postion of the buttons, or where the menu options are, and most of all, as a developer, it's still riddled with css and dom scripting bugs!

It does have some nice features and is a vast improvement on IE6, but for me FF wins hands down.

• User profile image
    littleguru

IE7 is also my default. I don't need a lot of plugins and it looks very safe to me. All the exploits that have been discovered didn't work on Vista with UAC activated. Smiley

• User profile image
    imekon

Firefox - nothing would make me trust IE ever again.

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

I moved from Mozilla to IE6 when XP SP2 shipped (which had a few improvements to IE6, pop up blocker basic stuff like that), which lasted me for a while until I moved to Maxthon.

Since the IE7 betas however I've been using IE7 exclusively.

• User profile image
    irascian

cornelius wrote:
    looks like theres a problem with your connection or slow proxy

Would it be using a connection when I've got "start page" set to "blank page"? (Yeah, I know it says "Connecting..." as it takes forever but it's got nothing to connect to in this case).

I'm not using a proxy, but do have Zone Alarm sat between me and t'internet.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

rjdohnert wrote:

Discuss not flame.
    Firefox is my default, i trust IE just that right now i like Firefox more than ever

• User profile image
    TimP

IE7 is nice, but definitely slower than IE6. I notice it most on large webpages (300-400KB of HTML). Scrolling and opening links is noticeably laggy.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.