Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

MIX 07 secrets

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    anand.t

Looks like microsoft is all ready to announce some new stuff in the live platform. Hope it includes some thing like google doc or something Smiley

Many of those cool new things from the Windows Live Platform group will be announced at the MIX07 event in a few weeks. Most of the what I was working on in Windows Live around product planning over the last 6+ months has been under non-disclosure, and I haven't been blogging in a while. In the ntext few weeks, I will be doing some activities for Channel 9 content and http://dev.live.com/ blogging leading up to and during the MIX07 conference.

http://blogs.msdn.com/klevy/

Anyone from channel9 wanna spill some beans Cool

• User profile image
    Zeo

Lots of cool stuff....but that's why there secrets for now...just wait till Mix.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Just block out a few days on your calendar I think. It will all be announced soon.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

I'll be frank.  I've yet to jump on the whole "Live" branded bandwagon.  I hope we have a "big" suprise (Technology-X) outside of the "Live" arena.

Give us more x-platform tools to make Silverlight a slam-dunk for RIA, and they'll make a lot of devs happy.  There are still a few outstanding issues that may force me to use Flex or Apollo.

• User profile image
    bonk

There you have your technology x:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=404

• User profile image
    Zeo

Mary has a great blog, but that's not technology x.... Expressionless

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

If a dynamic language layer is the big surprise at Mix 07 it would be the worst kept secret ever. Wink MS hired John Lam for cryin' out loud. They've GOT to have something dealing with Ruby and the CLR coming out.

It'd be like hiring Eddie Van Halen to play oboe for your rock band.

I'll throw out my two guesses.

Universal Gadget platform.

Office apps online w/full web based APIs.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

I've already made some guesses here.

• User profile image
    Bas

Larsenal wrote:
    I've already made some guesses here.

I'm still hoping for jetpacks.

• User profile image
    irascian

My guesses (hopes!) based on some discussions with a client who's going to MIX07 next week

- Some sort of competition to Amazon S3 hosting but with ability to upload .Net applications as well as data

- The ability to write C# instead of JavaScript across browsers/sidebar gadgets etc  (I don't mean Nikhil's C# to JavaScript conversion library - I mean actually running the CLR, which is sort of what Larsenal said)

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Lazycoder2 wrote:
    If a dynamic language layer is the big surprise at Mix 07 it would be the worst kept secret ever. MS hired John Lam for cryin' out loud. They've GOT to have something dealing with Ruby and the CLR coming out.

Don't forget they have had Jim Hugunin (Creator of IronPython) for a while now as well.  Haven't really saw much about what the two are working on since they have arrived so it could be this...

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

ben2004uk wrote:

Lazycoder2 wrote: If a dynamic language layer is the big surprise at Mix 07 it would be the worst kept secret ever. MS hired John Lam for cryin' out loud. They've GOT to have something dealing with Ruby and the CLR coming out.
    Don't forget they have had Jim Hugunin (Creator of IronPython) for a while now as well.  Haven't really saw much about what the two are working on since they have arrived so it could be this...
    Jim's blog is really quiet, too. Hasn't been updated since last September...

:O

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

irascian wrote:
    "competition to Amazon S3 hosting"

Hmmm, forgot about "Live Drive". That's a distinct possibility. If they did announce it, a million HotMail users would cry out in unison "WHY IS MY ACCOUNT STILL AT 250MB?!".
    Found out my Hotmail acct is at 2gb.

ben2004uk wrote:
    Don't forget they have had Jim Hugunin...Haven't really saw much about what the two are working on ...

IronPython 1.1 came out a few days ago. I don't know if he's still the primary on that though. He probably still owns it. I think they have a dynamic language TEAM in the CLR team now.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

irascian wrote:

- Some sort of competition to Amazon S3 hosting but with ability to upload .Net applications as well as data

An S3 clone that allowed metadata search (S3 allows metadata on items but only searches on the key AFAIK) would be cool.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

irascian wrote:
    My guesses (hopes!) based on some discussions with a client who's going to MIX07 next week

- The ability to write C# instead of JavaScript across browsers/sidebar gadgets etc  (I don't mean Nikhil's C# to JavaScript conversion library - I mean actually running the CLR, which is sort of what Larsenal said)

Looks like we were pretty close with .Net in Sliverlight.  Looking forward to details.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.