Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista per app/device audio

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

I have 2 output devices enabled, an optical port that goes to my reciever and standard pc speakers.

I want the optical port to take the sound from media player alone, and the speakers to take all other sounds.

I've managed to do this by disabling the speakers, starting wmp then enabling the speakers again.

Is there an easier way of switching output devices for individual apps ?

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Anyone ?

</bump>

• User profile image
    stevo_

Wouldn't that be <bump /> ?

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

There was a "roles" feature planned for Vista RTM, but it didn't make the cut.  You can see vestiges of it in the GetDefaultAudioEndpoint doc.

Device Roles in Windows Vista

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Thanks for that. It's disappointing though.

• User profile image
    cain

I was looking for this feature recently too when I had USB headphones plugged into my laptop but some applications were still playing audio through the speakers.

One of the pages linked to above says "a future version of Windows might enable the user to assign roles to individual devices".  Here's hoping 'a future version of Windows' might mean Vista SP1.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.