Coffeehouse Thread

47 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I hate Vista's Windows Explorer! [help required]

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Today is my bug finding day... Found another bug in Windows Explorer..

Now  the "Underline icon titles only when I point at them" and "Underline icon titles consistent with my browser" are disabled. Click "Single-click to open an item" and change to "Underline icon titles consistent with my browser". Click to "Double-click to open an item" afterwards and "OK" to save the change. Now this functionality should be disabled.

Open the start menu and search for something. Everything is now underlined! Despite the feature is disabled...

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

i tought you are back to XP some time ago??

• User profile image
    littleguru

Ion Todirel wrote:
    i tought you are back to XP some time ago??

No - just installed it on a second partition.

• User profile image
    littleguru

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    I just discovered I can't select files too in certain folders like for example c:\windows\system32\ . can somebody try to see if select works in that folder?

Multiselect works only in C:\Windows\System32 for me! And in all other folders not... Strange!

Works also in My Folder (the folder that contains Contacts, Desktop, Documents, ...) and on the desktop...

• User profile image
    Koogle

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Koogle what are those icons next to the control box? (x _ [_]) also the calc? Never seen them before... would be interesting to accquire :Lloyd)
    There just useful little utilities... the calc icon, has options like calculate directory size... so intead of nothing being displayed in the size column for a folder when you use one of the options in the calc menu it will start calculating the directory size and puts the info in the size column. I use the Folder Size plugin for that personally.  Some other useful things like being able to put favourite folders next to the address bar..Its called the DMEXBar, can get it from:http://www.simtel.net/product.php?url_fb_product_page=59298 website is a bit (I need to watch my language), but its a hidden gem imo.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Littleguru, have you tried moving the nine guy away from your machine? 50cms on the left should be enough.

• User profile image
    sushovande

I have had that problem for a very long time (but i am stuck on RC2 here). The thing to do in this case (as I read on some obscure forum) is to do the Reset Folder thing in the Folder Options Dialog, View tab. Repeat this for every type of folder: Picture, Music (Album, Artist. etc), Videos, Documents, then restart your computer. This will fix the problem till it happens again, at an arbitrary point in time.

What I do is.. whenever I face the problem, I do a Reset Folders, then I forget about it and use command prompt and wildcards to do the file operation I wanted to. Next time I restart my computer the problem is gone.

To quickly open a command prompt in the current folder in Vista, make sure no file is selected, hold down shift, right click on the folder icon at the bottom of the explorer window (the details pane), and choose Open Command Window Here.

• User profile image
    littleguru

sushovande wrote:
    I have had that problem for a very long time (but i am stuck on RC2 here). The thing to do in this case (as I read on some obscure forum) is to do the Reset Folder thing in the Folder Options Dialog, View tab. Repeat this for every type of folder: Picture, Music (Album, Artist. etc), Videos, Documents, then restart your computer. This will fix the problem till it happens again, at an arbitrary point in time.

You are a god! It helped! Thanks so much... This is a bug. I hope it gets fixed soon.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Eah... Unfortunately Windows Explorer in Vista is just a one big disaster, except couple nice features...

MS never fixes UI bugs. They prefer to call them "features". In very best cases they are providing some "workarounds".

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

BlackTiger wrote:
    Eah... Unfortunately Windows Explorer in Vista is just a one big disaster, except couple nice features...

MS never fixes UI bugs. They prefer to call them "features". In very best cases they are providing some "workarounds".

I still have nightmares about the statusbar disappearing on XP's explorer...

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

So many problems in so important part of OS... Mad

Sometimes F2 ("edit") not working at all. I don't know why. It just happens.

Is some "folder views" option "change folder icon" is disabled.

Moving any "predefined" folder such as "Documents" causing folder's icon loss.

Folder's view "Reset" sometimes causing small disaster. Views becomes just unpredictable and random.

No normal keyboard access for many places (such as toolbar with "Organize"... Preview Pane etc). You have to hit TAB many-many times to access that places (if accessible!).

No "Copy to/ Move to" like it was in XP's taskpane. (by default) You have to hack registry to add that options to context menu, but still no ability to add such tasks in "brand new" taskpane. Mad

Hmmm... Is there any 3-rd-party Windows Explorer replacement for Vista like it was for XP? Maybe somebody developing it?

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    mig

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

littleguru wrote:Next UAC takes like hours when I try to open OrcasBeta1VSTS_VPC_8PartsTotal.part01.exe (the first file of the Orcas Beta 1 SFX RAR archive) -- it is 700 MB, but why does UAC take that long? CPU doesn't even go up... Looks like a bug to me! I have no AV installed!

I believe explorer checks every single executable before executing it (I think it searchs for a digital signature).

I think so as well, however when I've experienced the large file check my CPU spiked, then again I haven't noticed this in RTM so it might have been something in the RC build I was using at the time.  I now know better than to double click a large EXE (I extract it first through WinRAR's shell extension then run the setup manually most of the times).

• User profile image
    someone

I also cannot tolerate Vista because of Explorer. Other things are tolerable, but Windows Explorer has changed so much, they should have given it a different name, that's what I think sometimes, it's not the same anymore. The experience I would call is RUDE. And because of Explorer, the whole UI of the OS changes, so the whole experience changes - Control Panel, (My) Computer, Recycle Bin, Network Connections, Network browsing. They've also spoilt Address Book and Add/Remove by making those 2 part of Explorer. Add/Remove although faster at populating apps than XP's Add/Remove is unbearable for me because of the new Explorer and it's ~!@#$ context-sensitive toolbar. Simply too many things are different.

1.  What can be the No.1 annoyance? Removed toolbar buttons and gave me stupid "Burn" and "Organize" buttons. Give me back my Cut/Copy/Paste/Properties/Copy To/Move To/Up. But this is largely solved now due to an addon I found. QTTabBar. It's a .NET addon however so it slows down Explorer startup. It also has some other goodies to change the behavior of the misbehaving rude Vista Explorer.
    2.  Has complete amnesia. Doesn't remember a thing. XP's Explorer has partial amnesia.
    3.  Back button doesn't behave the same.
    4.  'Apply to all folders' doesn't really apply to ALL folders. There's a registry tweak I found for fixing this.
    5.  Broken breadcrumb in FTP.
    6.  No simple search for non-indexed files. MS says that Vista's search searches both, indexed as well as non-indexed, but only the indexed search is fast. The non-indexed search is much much much slower than XP's non-indexed search, so it takes sometimes a lot of time to find a single file in the same folder. This issue is also now sort of resolved because I use Agent Ransack on Vista for non-indexed search. And there are plenty of search utilities.
    7.  Some commands like "Open command window here" only appear when Shift is pressed. Also, it doesn't appear in the left pane.
    8.  The preview pane is too slow for videos, sometimes photos too. Large videos absolutely start killing the CPU if the preview "pain" is enabled.
    9.  Although copying and replacing is improved, there is too much to read in the dialog and the dialog is too large and occupies a large area of the screen. I'm not a baby to press 3 large buttons when a file conflict occurs. Because the description/explaination is so long, I've to read it many times if I don't remember the position of the button.
    10. Cutting and pasting across drives leaves empty folders on the original drives. It should remove them when moving is complete. Definitely a bug.
    11. It tries to select the entire row in all views, even in list and details view. So if you click on a white space beside a file, the file gets selected! This is a huge pain when selecting multiple files. Thankfully, they added a relief in the form of check boxes.
    12. Applies the wrong template when there are mixed files.
    13. Renaming files selects only the filename minus the extension (Resolved by QTTabBar!)
    14. Sorts in reverse, that is, when clicked on any column, first sorts in descending order.
    15. Auto-refresh/autosort/autoarrange. This is my most hated feature of Explorer and is absolute rudeness to the user according to me. Suppose I paste 5 files, they're all sorted by name and scattered across.
    16. Does not show the "free space" remaining in the status bar on all folders unlike XP Explorer.

Not to mention the slow file operations which are reportedly "fixed" in SP1.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Since I'm the thread starter I want to say that SP1 is fixing a lot of the issues that I had with the explorer. It seems to be very fine now!

The only thing is that the view settings get forgotten from time to time, which should get fixed too.

• User profile image
    buggy123

I don't like the way Vista windows explorer performs.Sad
    Seems slower and muddled compared with the quicker XP version.
    A case of one step forward yet two steps back.
    An alternative that will merge with Vista and bring it back in line with the layout and performance of XP's explorer is needed.
    Accelman File Manager works with Vista and also Xplorer2......Wink

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

someone wrote:

8.  The preview pane is too slow for videos, sometimes photos too. Large videos absolutely start killing the CPU if the preview "pain" is enabled.

Are you sure? I thought it's only available with Aero, at which point it's just a matrix transform of the window's output. If you're running Aero you have a graphics card, and they can do matrix zooms fast.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

littleguru wrote:

Next UAC takes like hours when I try to open OrcasBeta1VSTS_VPC_8PartsTotal.part01.exe (the first file of the Orcas Beta 1 SFX RAR archive) -- it is 700 MB, but why does UAC take that long? CPU doesn't even go up... Looks like a bug to me! I have no AV installed!

The problem here is quite subtle.

When you open an executable file, the process manager has to load the entire program out of memory before it can execute it, which for 700 megs can be a reasonable amount of time, but is still less than a second.

The problem now is that UAC needs to discover whether it should ask you for a permission hike. The best way is to scan that 700 MB for the manifest file. If this is near the beginning (i.e. is a vista file with embedded manifest) and this returns no, then we just set up the process and away we go.

If there is no manifest, we scan the entire file. This can take some time, but is still only in the region of 400ms per gig of executable. If we don't need to elevate permissions, then we can now set up our process nearly a second after we double clicked.

The real problem comes if we do need to elevate permissions.

Firstly there is no way to send user-level memory to administrator-level memory. This means we immediately dispose the 700 MB of user-level memory and set up a new process in administrator memory and reload the file. There's another second gone.

But wait, it gets worse. Because UAC is actually a second process, if too much time elapses between when it wants to start up and when it gets to the point where UI is available, any user interaction might force focus elsewhere - and this means that the UAC gets minimised.

Which means that for large executables with no embedded manifest which need elevation, you might end up waiting 3 seconds or more to see that anything at all is happening, and even when you do you might have accidentally minised the UAC dialog, and you'll then need to wait for the toolbar icon to appear before you can get on with your program.

To reiterate:

Small executables = very fast.
    Executables with manifests and no elevation = very fast
    Executables with manifests and elevation = slow
    Executables with no manfiests and no elevation = fast
    Executables with no manifests and elevation = very slow.

Btw, a good way of speeding up admin-needing apps with no manifest is to open a command window with admin permissions (small exe = fast) and then ask it to open the offending app, which gives it admin permissions by default, and can therefore just run the damn app. If you're making a big app (>100mb) that needs admin permissions and isn't an installer, split it in half, and get the first one to get admin permissions and immediately launch the second half.

Edit:
    I've just realized I've replyed to a eight month-old thread. Stop necrobumping!!

• User profile image
    Escamillo

evildictaitor wrote:

littleguru wrote:

Next UAC takes like hours when I try to open OrcasBeta1VSTS_VPC_8PartsTotal.part01.exe (the first file of the Orcas Beta 1 SFX RAR archive) -- it is 700 MB, but why does UAC take that long? CPU doesn't even go up... Looks like a bug to me! I have no AV installed!

The problem here is quite subtle.

When you open an executable file, the process manager has to load the entire program out of memory before it can execute it, which for 700 megs can be a reasonable amount of time, but is still less than a second.

The problem now is that UAC needs to discover whether it should ask you for a permission hike. The best way is to scan that 700 MB for the manifest file. If this is near the beginning (i.e. is a vista file with embedded manifest) and this returns no, then we just set up the process and away we go.

If there is no manifest, we scan the entire file. This can take some time, but is still only in the region of 400ms per gig of executable. If we don't need to elevate permissions, then we can now set up our process nearly a second after we double clicked.

The real problem comes if we do need to elevate permissions.

Firstly there is no way to send user-level memory to administrator-level memory. This means we immediately dispose the 700 MB of user-level memory and set up a new process in administrator memory and reload the file. There's another second gone.

But wait, it gets worse. Because UAC is actually a second process, if too much time elapses between when it wants to start up and when it gets to the point where UI is available, any user interaction might force focus elsewhere - and this means that the UAC gets minimised.

Which means that for large executables with no embedded manifest which need elevation, you might end up waiting 3 seconds or more to see that anything at all is happening, and even when you do you might have accidentally minised the UAC dialog, and you'll then need to wait for the toolbar icon to appear before you can get on with your program.

To reiterate:

Small executables = very fast.
    Executables with manifests and no elevation = very fast
    Executables with manifests and elevation = slow
    Executables with no manfiests and no elevation = fast
    Executables with no manifests and elevation = very slow.

Btw, a good way of speeding up admin-needing apps with no manifest is to open a command window with admin permissions (small exe = fast) and then ask it to open the offending app, which gives it admin permissions by default, and can therefore just run the damn app. If you're making a big app (>100mb) that needs admin permissions and isn't an installer, split it in half, and get the first one to get admin permissions and immediately launch the second half.

Edit:
    I've just realized I've replyed to a eight month-old thread. Stop necrobumping!!

Even though you did reply to an 8-month old thread, your post was very informative and I'm glad you made it.
    Thanks. Cool

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.