Coffeehouse Thread

88 posts

Fred: You Voted, We Listened

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

After 24 hours it was close, but a narrow majority voted Fred onto the island of MIX.  

We’re going to find a way to get him into the building.  Some thought he should dress up as Elvis and others felt he should be a special Channel 9 correspondent to attend.  Fred, we can iron out those details at the event...

See you in Vegas and don't forget to drop by the blogger lounge folks.

----

Fred Vogelstein, the Wired reporter who recently wrote about Channel 9, was a little slow registering for MIX.  The event is completely sold out and there is a waiting list.  Normally, we reserve some slots for reporters but this late in the game we have no more press slots.  Fred has asked if we can find a way to get him into MIX.  Wired is big on Radical Transparency so we thought we’d give it a try and let the community decide.  Should we let Fred in?  Is there anything Fred could do for the Channel 9 community?  Please reply to this thread with your suggestions – remember MIX is in Las Vegas. 

• User profile image
    PaoloM

If there is still room after the people in the waiting list have had their spot, sure, why not?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Yes. I don't see why not.

• User profile image
    Jaz

Could we kit Fred out with a camera and have him make some videos for C9 possibly from the scenes of Mix?

However, what real benefit is having Fred there for C9 otherwise, theres going to be a tonne of other reporters who probably work for alot of the online newssites anyway and will have their own contacts in MS who they shall colllar and ask questions to (one would presume).

Is Fred even really active on this site?  I'd be much happier if one of the more active members of the community, with academic/work related need of Mix was chosen to goto Mix and given a camera to tag along with whichever C9 staffer was going to be attending.

I am unfortunately unfamiliar with freds work, so i will leave judgement untill i catch up.  However if Fred can offer anything good to the community of C9 then i'd say yes, however if he was only going for wired or his own personal gain, then perhaps a bit of tough luck and a reminder to register earlier is required.

Though if you do want to pick a niner, i might have to clear a few commitments in my diary Big Smile

• User profile image
    Minh

Hypothetical question. If he hadn't written a story that ruffle so many feathers, would his belated ticket come quicker?

• User profile image
    eagle

We're wireless now... 

If only Fred had read a Microsoft community blog or tuned in to Channel9 he would have learned about MIX07 a long time ago.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

eagle wrote:
    We're wireless now... 

If only Fred had read a Microsoft community blog or tuned in to Channel9 he would have learned about MIX07 a long time ago.

Actually he knew all about it.  We talked about it when he was shadowing us at CES.  I believe he just forgot and the event had sold out.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Minh wrote:
    Hypothetical question. If he hadn't written a story that ruffle so many feathers, would his belated ticket come quicker?

Not quicker, the event is sold out.  We need to work to find him space.

• User profile image
    Jaz

So Fred are you reading this?  Sign up and tell us why we should vote for you to goto Mix.

• User profile image
    eagle

I've been in many Microsoft Event Press Rooms, most of the dead tree Press arrive late, demand personal meetings with executives and never attend a session.

The conversations in the Press Room are never about what is going on in the conference.

They go to the Keynote then file a story by email to an editor thousands of miles away, then go out to a restaurant on their expense account. 

They don't come to learn, there is no passion in what they do.

To them it's just a job.

He'll be gone by 3:00 on the second day.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

Jaz wrote:
    So Fred are you reading this?  Sign up and tell us why we should vote for you to goto Mix.

I second the motion.  Join the conversation and start posting.

• User profile image
    raymond

Let Fred stand in the back to hear the keynote and then file his story.

I did read his article on Google in the current issue of WIRED and was wondering whether he had read my April 1 post on GO USA?

Cool

Enjoy the trip Fred.

• User profile image
    historypro

I agree that Fred should tell us why this is important to him and what he could offer the community. Can he answer the "gone by 3 the second day" concern? If he can offer good reasons, then I'd say "sure."

• User profile image
    AlfredTh

Since the event is in Vegas perhaps the thing to do is to have the late press candidates play a no limit hold'em tourney with the winner getting a ticket. In fact if you have them all pay a buy in going to charity that might even be better.

Other than that I have mixed feelings about special treatment for the press. I dislike the idea of them having special rights and privileges on principal. But in practicality we need some trained observers to report on things to those who cannot attend themselves.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Thanks all.  Not sure if Fred will post here or not. Wink

I want to be clear that we're not just messing with Fred for sport. 

Mix is sold out, but there could be some cancellations (there always is one or two) if there should he go to the head of the line over a developer/design customer?

• User profile image
    RobertScoble

How many people read Wired magazine again?

So, do you invite one developer? Great, that might mean one app.

Or do you invite a journalist who’ll write and talk with, say, 100 developers? (I have a feeling a lot more than 100 developers read Wired magazine).

Which one is a better decision for Microsoft as a business?

Which one is better for Microsoft’s ecosystem? How many apps will one decision get done over another?

I see at least four journalists who got invited to be on Microsoft’s stage. Why did they get invited over someone like Fred?

Oh, and if you think this is just about Wired magazine, Fred was on CNBC last week. So his reach is more than just Wired.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Robert Fred was personally invited by me back last January, he was also reminded to register.   (You can ask him)

He didn't.  He forgot.  We sold out, we created a waitlist.

We're now watching for cancellations and moving folks up the waitlist.

Should Fred be moved up?

• User profile image
    blowdart

jeffsand wrote:

Should Fred be moved up?

Sure, as long as he doesn't skip positions. He should wait like every other journo in that list. Otherwise if you start treating someone special, well then, you're in for a world of pain. Next thing you know you'll start excluding loud mouted bloggers who only seem to recycle press releases and think they're journalists.

Oh. Hmm. Actually [6]

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.