Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Whose Bright Idea Was This?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    odujosh

Maybe providing a multiformat for this video layout. Hansleman has it right. You can't find one size fits all. When I on a high performant network the one click is great when I am on a low end broad band connection the chunks are great. Multiformat is good.

What bugs me is we gone from 1 video a day to sometimes spreading one video across several days in parts instead of all you care to watch of the next Anders interview being there when it first premeres. I prefer the all or nothing approach. If you are going to have a 2 day dry spell spackling a video over that span of time really seems to make it unwatchable and less enjoyable. Give us the whole video, it in parts, then give us the two day dry spell.

• User profile image
    Charles

Just say no to dry spells! Smiley

I am not going to cut up any more of my videos. If you want 'em segmented, then use Clipster. That's why we built it for you. Nobody can slice and dice a video exactly to your specifications in an a priori manner...

Keep on clipping,

C

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

Yeah ... does Clipster have an RSS feed ... is it tagged?  Well, I just checked and it has tags for the name of the clip.  No RSS feed.  If there was a direct feed, I'd try hooking it up to Dynamic Help and then start indexing the videos too, to build up keywords in the metadata.

• User profile image
    anand.t

Richard.Hein wrote:
    Yeah ... does Clipster have an RSS feed ... is it tagged?  Well, I just checked and it has tags for the name of the clip.  No RSS feed.  If there was a direct feed, I'd try hooking it up to Dynamic Help and then start indexing the videos too, to build up keywords in the metadata.

you cant satisfy everyone Smiley

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

anand.t wrote:
    you cant satisfy everyone

Why not?

Download: [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | FULL ]

• User profile image
    An_Angel

You should use SoapBox and get the SoapBox team to look into something like the viddler style tagging and comments system.  That way you wouldn't need to split the video's up, just tag the time points and have it as a long video, unless the issue is upload time and such.  Also even better than that when people are watching the video they can comment at the time point so that there is a context to the comment Smiley 

(OK so I'm a Viddler.com fan!)

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

An_Angel wrote:
    You should use SoapBox and get the SoapBox team to look into something like the viddler style tagging and comments system.  That way you wouldn't need to split the video's up, just tag the time points and have it as a long video, unless the issue is upload time and such.  Also even better than that when people are watching the video they can comment at the time point so that there is a context to the comment  

Oh, so someone's already done it?  I had thought about this before, the ability to jump to a tag for the bits you're interested in, like 'Demo starts here' or 'Talking about feature XXX', etc.

Nice.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

SlackmasterK wrote:

anand.t wrote: you cant satisfy everyone

Why not?

Download: [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | FULL ]

There's always going to be someone awkward:

"But I was only interested in the last minute of 1, the first two minutes of 2 and the middle 4 minutes of 3! [6]"

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Dr Herbie wrote:

An_Angel wrote: You should use SoapBox and get the SoapBox team to look into something like the viddler style tagging and comments system.  That way you wouldn't need to split the video's up, just tag the time points and have it as a long video, unless the issue is upload time and such.  Also even better than that when people are watching the video they can comment at the time point so that there is a context to the comment  

Oh, so someone's already done it?  I had thought about this before, the ability to jump to a tag for the bits you're interested in, like 'Demo starts here' or 'Talking about feature XXX', etc.

Nice.

Herbie

If I remember correctly the UK vista/office dev launch videos had this feature.

• User profile image
    AndyC

webmonkey wrote:

If I remember correctly the UK vista/office dev launch videos had this feature.

All the Channel 9 videos can be tagged like this, it just requires someone to do it with the Clipster feature.

• User profile image
    raymond

Let the subject matter determine the length of the video.

If the subject matter is only worth ten minutes, do a ten minute video.

If the subject takes an hour, do an hour video.

Please do not split up a video just to have three ten minutes video, where one thirty minute video would do just fine.

Cool

• User profile image
    MetaGunny

raymond wrote:
    Let the subject matter determine the length of the video.

If the subject matter is only worth ten minutes, do a ten minute video.

If the subject takes an hour, do an hour video.

Please do not split up a video just to have three ten minutes video, where one thirty minute video would do just fine.

Right.  However, if someone is going to cut them up post them ALL at once.   Whatever you do don't post ONE per day.  This will gurantee you get less views of that video, and also less viewers in general on C9.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.