Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Vista = ME II?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dimmy Joolittle

I was stunned to read this today. One author thinks the following:

Article wrote:
    With two overlapping events, Microsoft admitted what we have been saying all along, Vista, aka Windows Me Two (Me II), is a joke that no one wants.
    With the release of a $3 version of XP in China, and Dell reverting back to XP installed products, does this mean Vista is really ME II in the making?

[C]

• User profile image
    Randolpho

You know, a lot of people bitched about Windows ME, but I never had problems. Ditto Vista. I really don't know where all the vitriol is coming from here.

• User profile image
    anand.t

Dimmy Joolittle wrote:
    I was stunned to read this today. One author thinks the following:

Article wrote: With two overlapping events, Microsoft admitted what we have been saying all along, Vista, aka Windows Me Two (Me II), is a joke that no one wants.
    With the release of a $3 version of XP in China, and Dell reverting back to XP installed products, does this mean Vista is really ME II in the making?

No. It might be a flop partly due to FUD and due to the fact that the drivers are not ready for vista. It will soon be on track after service pack 1

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Randolpho wrote:
    You know, a lot of people bitched about Windows ME, but I never had problems. Ditto Vista. I really don't know where all the vitriol is coming from here.

I never had problems with ME, my main issue with it was that it was a 'fun-ified' version of Windows 98, complete with the 'fun' logo.

But ME was a very minor release, and thats why many people never bothered to upgrade. Vista is a major release even though they promised more than they put in. People who compare the two look foolish.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

I think these technology pundits are in a race to see who can report the most outlandish crap.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Dimmy Joolittle wrote:
    No it does not.

When XP was released everyone 'hated' it and gave it bad reviews until they actually stopped beleiving the FUD, you expected anything different during the Vista release?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Sam Gentile is hardly a pundit, and even he is considering rolling back to XP

I'm looking at rebuilding my laptop this weekend, and I think I'll stick with XP, if only because of driver issues.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I had to give up Vista and 7.04 earlier.  Here is why.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Got this after a 3 seconds of black screen:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

It's like the 20th time I get this... I don't understand why Microsoft gives nVidia the "Vista certified" logo. They sure aren't!

• User profile image
    cain

littleguru wrote:
    Got this after a 3 seconds of black screen:

It's like the 20th time I get this... I don't understand why Microsoft gives nVidia the "Vista certified" logo. They sure aren't!
    I got that once too and was actually quite happy to see it.  Whenever my display drivers stopped responding under XP I was forced to reboot.

• User profile image
    littleguru

cain wrote:

littleguru wrote: Got this after a 3 seconds of black screen:

I got that once too and was actually quite happy to see it.  Whenever my display drivers stopped responding under XP I was forced to reboot.

Yes. That's great that they recover it... that's wonderful! But this shouldn't happen to a working driver.

Also the same when i reboot - the screen always blacks out for a second or two when the network connection gets established... - when Windows starts to connect with the network... I don't understand why this happens, but it happens each time I start Windows (after a reboot).

• User profile image
    mig

Heh I learned my lesson and switched to ATI a long time ago, nVidia was once a good video card maker, since Vista however their drivers haven't been good, mediocre at best!

As for the OP's comments, there will always be people that spread FUD, I personally think Vista is a stepping stone towards what MS envisioned it would be 4 years ago.  Hopefully Windows Client vNext will take this vision to near completion, and if we're really lucky the service packs will help along the way (Explorer on Vista STILL needs alot of attention and fixes).

It will pass with time, XP won't be on sale for much longer (I give it 'til the end of the year, which is about the same time MS stops officially supporting it, unless the PC companies plan on supporting XP themselves which I find foolish), NOTE: I believe I read that MS will stop officially supporting XP for the consumer by the end of this year, (I could be wrong).

• User profile image
    Bas

Anyone who thinks of Vista as the next Windows ME clearly doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

That doesn't mean, though, that the leap that Vista made isn't as great as was anticipated. It's still a great leap, but I think we had all hoped for more. Also, the abundance of small bugs like the explorer and calendar bugs are annoying. Driver support is prepostorous. I realise that this isn't Microsoft's fault, but they could at least stop handing out certifications to manufacturers (Nvidia, Creative..) until they actually produced something that worked.

• User profile image
    the_sombrer​o_kid

I read the inquirer a lot and all i can say is that they've always been byased towards and against certain products and wrote articles for and against them that way but recently it's become so much worse they take positive things about vista and the ps3 and try and turn them into massive mistakes! the truth is though they're the ones who end up looking stupid, this article along with most of the inquirers articles these days is based on no facts whatsoever. that and there articles are designed to provoke a reaction.
    i don't know why i still read it Perplexed

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

the_sombrero_kid wrote:
    the truth is though they're the ones who end up looking stupid, this article along with most of the inquirers articles these days is based on no facts whatsoever. that and there articles are designed to provoke a reaction.

I believe the exact term for what they do is "sensationalism"

• User profile image
    BadAsh71

Jason Cox wrote:

When XP was released everyone 'hated' it and gave it bad reviews until they actually stopped beleiving the FUD, you expected anything different during the Vista release?

I'm not so sure about that one Jason.  When XP came out everyone I know embrased it with open arms.  Finally, we had an OS that was built off of a solid kernel we all knew and loved (NT/2000) and not based on DOS like 95, 98 and ME.

The bad press coming down on Vista stems from the following things:
    • Extremely intense DRM
    • Lack of any of the most popular new features originally slated for this release that would have made it a good move
    • The return of the Confirmations from Hell (remember DOS)
    • Multiple versions with only the most expensive/ultimate version meeting feature for feature with what the Pro version of XP and 2000 gave us for all these years and crippling all the other versions so much that you have no choice but to shell out the big bucks for "Ultimate"
    • And last but not least, the mere fact that Microsoft's new Aero interface requires a "gamer" class video card while Linux and Mac OS X provide the same UI elements on lesser quality video cards is just crazy.
    Vista = ME II ?

Possibly.... you have to look at it like this, we had Windows 98 and then 98 SE (i.e. the less broken version) and then all of a sudden they tossed ME at us.  There wasn't really anything in ME to drive people to upgrade but a lot of us did.

Now we have Vista.  Most if not all of the great new features were dropped so Microsoft could get Vista out this century so what did they give us?

• A new Desktop Theme
    • DRM Everywhere
    • Headaches (hardware and drivers)
    • Migraines (hardware, drivers and applications)
    • Did I mention headaches?
    • Cool new graphics just like what we have seen on the Mac and Linux but with a new requirement:
      • New Video Cards For Everyone
      • Lots and Lots of RAM
      • Dual Core For Everyone Big Smile
    • Big Brother Style Security

The point is, we now have the beginnings of a good OS but it is still "beta" at best and SP1 will not change that.  Heck, you couldn't even develop on Vista day 1 and PowerShell which was originally supposed to be a great new feature in Vista wasn't even available for Vista when it went RTM.

My point is (yeah, I have one).... Vista didn't live up to expectations, many applications are still unstable on it, drivers for popular hardware are still missing, the latest and greates video cards (even the ones Microsoft certified for Vista) don't fully work as described.  All in all this was a rushed release... several years in the making Perplexed

• User profile image
    eagle

ME II is the call of a follower not a leader or respected influencer.

I have a dual boot on my laptop because I need XP for MovieMaker.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

eagle wrote:

ME II is the call of a follower not a leader or respected influencer.

I have a dual boot on my laptop because I need XP for MovieMaker.

I have great news for you: microsoft released the XP version of moviemaker for vista.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.