Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Lost with Vista & Orcas

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    StarBlue

Hi,

I will first admit that I am more of a Win32 programmer when it comes to Windows.  But I decided it times I embrace this .NET thingy as it appears it isn't going to go away. Wink  Ok I have VS2005 and I downloaded all of the stuff it told me to to program Vista Forms.  But when I went into create a new Forms, it still looks like XP.  Even when I installed this on Vista!  Ok figured I toasted something, decided to abandon VS2005 [C] and downloaded 'Codename Orcas' and even the simple 'Orcas' Express Editions.  They installed just fine.  Go into to either of them and create a Windows Form Application and guess what, they still look like XP.  Do I need to install the Vista SDK in them as well?  I am using C++ but this happens even in C#.

All I am trying to do is make a simple Vista Aero Basic Window and so far it still looks like XP Luna.  Any pointers in the right direction would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Jhan Jensen

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

Check the form properties for options relating to using Windows themes etc... for the EnableVisualStyles property - actually it's:

Application.EnableVisualStyles();

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

Unless of course, you are talking about WPF ... which you obviously are, now that I think about it.  You are creating the wrong kind of application, use WPF if you want all the fancy stuff.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Do you want the Glass effects on the window? You should try to specify more clearly what you mean with Vista window... Because if you have Aero enabled (you graphic card needs to support it) you should not see any XP themed window at all!! They are all replaced by the Aero look!

Or everything (all Windows Explorer windows for example) or nothing supports the glass effect!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

StarBlue wrote:
    I am using Windows XP ... the Windows still has a Windows XP "Luna" style or theme.

If you want Vista styles you need Vista. Pretty obvious.

• User profile image
    StarBlue

Ok, I found my first problem in that I was in C++.  Once I went to C# I found the project but kept getting an error about project type not supported so I did this.

1) Open a cmd window at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE

2) Type "regsvr32.exe ProjectAggregator.dll".

And now I get the project and it creates.  I am new to this so I am sorry if I don't word things in the correct way.  I am using Windows XP SP2 and have a fairly decient video card.  I guess now is how do I turn on the Aero Interface?  I don't so much mean glass as that is for Vista only.  But like IE7 and WMP11 and several other newer apps have the layout like Aero but running in XP.  I have WPF working correctly, but the Windows still has a Windows XP "Luna" style or theme.

• User profile image
    StarBlue

ZippyV wrote:

Yes, I know that Aero Glass is Vista Only.  What I am getting at is how does Microsoft WMP11, IE7, and others  look "like" Vista Aero Basic in Windows XP?

• User profile image
    figuerres

StarBlue wrote:

ZippyV wrote: 

Yes, I know that Aero Glass is Vista Only.  What I am getting at is how does Microsoft WMP11, IE7, and others  look "like" Vista Aero Basic in Windows XP?

there are several ways you can do that....

one way -- create a form with no title bar or border and write code to manage it.

another way is to use a package like http://www.componentfactory.com/index.php

check that link out; it may be just what you want.

• User profile image
    StarBlue

Thanks, I will try them.  Too bad we will probably have to wait until "Codename Hawaii" for those features to be put in to VS.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.