Coffeehouse Thread

66 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

'Second Earth' found, 20 light years away

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cheong

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,2064843,00.html

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/science/space/25planetcnd.html

    A funny note: The planet runs 13 days per year. So there should be at most 3 holidays if we're going to live there. XD

    Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    That makes me 645 years old on that planet. Cool

  • User profile image
    directrix

    cheong wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,2064843,00.html

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/science/space/25planetcnd.html

    A funny note: The planet runs 13 days per year. So there should be at most 3 holidays if we're going to live there. XD



    Um... I'm not sure about "Second Earth". All evidence regarding its characteristics seem inconclusive as of now. But IT is promising. It's something to keep an eye on.

  • User profile image
    cheong

    Let wait until scientists find out how we can travel in the speed of (ly/h). Big Smile

    Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

    cheong wrote:
    Let wait until scientists find out how we can travel in the speed of (ly/h).


    Let's not be too hasty. Let's focus on just lightspeed for now. Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    Bas wrote:
    
    cheong wrote: Let wait until scientists find out how we can travel in the speed of (ly/h).


    Let's not be too hasty. Let's focus on just lightspeed for now.


    No, I won't settle for less that instantaneous teleportation.  I don't have time to waste on interplanetary travel. Wink


    Herbie

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Yes, promising... but will a human ever walk on its surface? So near (for star trek) and so far away (for us) Wink

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Dr Herbie wrote:
    

    No, I won't settle for less that instantaneous teleportation.  I don't have time to waste on interplanetary travel.



    The odd thing is that may well be easier than faster-than-light travel.

    Sod interplanetary travel, I don't have time to waste going to the shops.

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    ENGAGE!

    Doesnt the fast rotation of the planet make you dizzy? Just wondering.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    I always wondered. What if teleportation meant that you would disintegrate and die, but a perfect clone of yourself (including memories and personality) came out on the other end? How would you warn people that teleportation is lethal?

  • User profile image
    k2t0f12d

    LOL, I can hear that planet groaning from here.  Where is Clancy Brown when you need him?

  • User profile image
    staceyw

    Cool.  Maybe we can send all the linux fan boys there and in 1000 years they will become the Borg.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Bas, your argument reminds me very much of the movie 'The Prestige'. Those who have seen the movie should know what I'm talking about.

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    Bas wrote:
    I always wondered. What if teleportation meant that you would disintegrate and die, but a perfect clone of yourself (including memories and personality) came out on the other end? How would you warn people that teleportation is lethal?


    You're just being paranoid ...


    ... don't worry, it won't hurt ... join us ....


    Herbie

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Bas wrote:
    I always wondered. What if teleportation meant that you would disintegrate and die, but a perfect clone of yourself (including memories and personality) came out on the other end? How would you warn people that teleportation is lethal?


    Is it lethal if there's continuity of personality and memories? [6]

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Drat, I still haven't seen The Prestige. But this makes me wonder even more.

    Massif wrote:
    Is it lethal if there's continuity of personality and memories?

    That's the trick, isn't it? It's not -me- continuing with my personality and memories, some clone is.

    If I step in and get disintegrated, my consciousness will end, because I'm dead. Whatever is created on the other end will think it is me, and so will everyone else, but that doesn't help me, because I'm dead.

    Should I see the day that a teleporter becomes a common transportation device, I think I'll choose to refuse to enter it, much like people in the old days were afraid of cars and escalators. I'd rather be old-fashioned and paranoid than dead.

  • User profile image
    davearkley

    If I step in and get disintegrated, my consciousness will end, because I'm dead. Whatever is created on the other end will think it is me, and so will everyone else, but that doesn't help me, because I'm dead.

    Whatever is created at the other end will be you. Same hardware (identical), same memories, same diseases, same wetware. It IS you.

    So you didn't die, just shuffled to some other mortal coil.

  • User profile image
    Massif

    Bas wrote:
    

    Drat, I still haven't seen The Prestige. But this makes me wonder even more.

    Massif wrote: Is it lethal if there's continuity of personality and memories?

    That's the trick, isn't it? It's not -me- continuing with my personality and memories, some clone is.

    If I step in and get disintegrated, my consciousness will end, because I'm dead. Whatever is created on the other end will think it is me, and so will everyone else, but that doesn't help me, because I'm dead.

    Should I see the day that a teleporter becomes a common transportation device, I think I'll choose to refuse to enter it, much like people in the old days were afraid of cars and escalators. I'd rather be old-fashioned and paranoid than dead.



    See, I'm genuinely not so sure that - given a clone has complete continuity - you are dead at all. I guess I don't see anything special about "me" that won't continue to exist in the clone.

    Here was my thought experiment which led me to this:

    If all electrical activity in my brain is halted, temporarily for a short period of time, and restarted again - am I dead? I'd say no, my memories and personality continue so I'm still alive.

    However if I'm in a train and the same thing happens, all the molecules have moved a non-trivial (for a molecule) distance. Am I dead in this case?

    So if all electrical activity in my brain is halted, and then recommenced in a perfect replica of my brain am I still dead? There's nothing special about the matter which makes up my brain, so I figure I'm just as alive as I ever was.

    Your mileage may vary, naturally.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.