Coffeehouse Thread

61 posts

Flex is Open source

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • RobertScoble

Adobe Opensources Flex.

Basically this makes Mix even more interesting to see what Microsoft does in response next week.

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

RobertScoble wrote:
    Adobe Opensources Flex.

Basically this makes Mix even more interesting to see what Microsoft does in response next week.

What difference does it make if Adobe opensources Flex?  It still requires a proprietary, closed-source runtime to run.

Good thing I wasn't staying up for your announcement.  Otherwise, I'd feel like I had wasted my life away for nothing.  No new dev tools, no new runtimes, just...  the source for a UI toolkit on a proprietary platform.

• anand.t

RobertScoble wrote:
    Adobe Opensources Flex.

I am looking to know the difference between flex and silverlight. Is not silverlight competing with apollo ??? Actually I am just trying to make sense as to what implications this will have Expressionless

• anand.t

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

RobertScoble wrote: Adobe Opensources Flex.

What difference does it make if Adobe opensources Flex?  It still requires a proprietary, closed-source runtime to run.

Good thing I wasn't staying up for your announcement.  Otherwise, I'd feel like I had wasted my life away for nothing.  No new dev tools, no new runtimes, just...  the source for a UI toolkit on a proprietary platform.

Adobe is announcing plans to open source Flex under the Mozilla Public License (MPL). This includes not only the source to the ActionScript components from the Flex SDK, which have been available in source code form with the SDK since Flex 2 was released, but also includes the Java source code for the ActionScript and MXML compilers, the ActionScript debugger and the core ActionScript libraries from the SDK. The Flex SDK includes all of the components needed to create Flex applications that run in any browser - on Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux and on now on the desktop using “Apollo”.

Developers can use the Flex SDK to freely develop and deploy Flex applications using either Adobe Flex Builder or an IDE of their choice.

So ineffect apollo != Flex. Flex runs on top of Apollo and probably flash is just a part of everything. Dont we already have some open source flash project?? Adobe lost me somewhere. Probably got to refer wikipedia some time later [6]

• corona_coder

Unless its GPL its not Open Source.  The MPL is incompatiblee with the GPL..  This makes no difference.

• ewschone

Am I the only one not familiar with Flex ? Much ado about nothing I'd say :O.

• Larsenal

No thunder has been stolen as far as I'm concerned.

• Bas

Well, that was dissapointing.

• kettch

Bas wrote:
    Well, that was dissapointing.

Agreed.

I think that many companies are using the "Open Source" label purely for PR purposes. They often don't really care about community or making better software. They know that the gesture will automatically gain them a great deal of support from the open source zealots.

"If a company accepts the holy Open Source as it's personal lord and savior, and offers it's products upon the alter Freedom, then that one will bask in divine blessing and will have it's sins blotted out and will remain clean to times indefinite. The fame of that company will become known to the ends of the earth and that one will inherit many righteous servants who will obey it's commandments without question." -Stallman 4:25-26

• Tom Servo

raymond wrote:

Microsoft has bought Avid Technologies.

What? Is this for real?

If so, wave goodbye to a fine suite of video editing software, because Microsoft is ultimately going to fsck it up.

Coincidentally, I'm going "Fsck Microsoft!" this weekend and ditch Windows. Figures.

--edit: Note to you Lolnix clowns trying to start a troll from this, hint: It's not Linux.

• Massif

Tom Servo wrote:

--edit: Note to you Lolnix clowns trying to start a troll from this, hint: It's not Linux.

You're going over to OS/2?

Seems a bit radical.

• Bas

I think he's switching to TOS.

• blowdart

corona_coder wrote:
    Unless its GPL its not Open Source.

Well done; keep spitting out the lies.

• odujosh

Oohh 150,000 developers not millions. Open Source ... heard of reflector? IDE new and no intellisense arrgg. Something tells me this news could wait say a year when they are actually start to know how to be competive.

Sorry if I am not jumping up and down. Scoble is officially a hack.

• anand.t

ewschone wrote:
    Am I the only one not familiar with Flex ? Much ado about nothing I'd say .

No. YOu are never alone [A]

• anand.t

odujosh wrote:

Sorry if I am not jumping up and down. Scoble is officially a hack.

Lol I cant remember the exact english word to describe him, but he is a person who will just keep talking high about him in every post. From todays comment

Isaac: like I said. I have a front row seat to two multi-billion-dollar companies firing their big guns at each other.

I dont understand what his reply has to do with the original comment by someone called Isaac

It definitely stole the thunder from MIX.
    Guess what the hottest topic at MIX?
    “Is Microsoft going to open source Silverlight too?”
    I guess it doesn’t take an Einstein to answer the question?

I remember once he was whinning against live and yahoo coz a search for "robert" did not retrieve his name (while google did that). And then when someone pointed out that we geeks are just so insignificant in the real world, he started saying that he is significant and is one of the top 100 times people and so on Tongue Out

Now just replying to scobles comment, while he is just in the seat, I am one of the millions of developers who can actually decide which product is gonna be successful. So am I not more significant Cool

• Royal​Schrubber

corona_coder wrote:
    Unless its GPL its not Open Source.  The MPL is incompatiblee with the GPL..  This makes no difference.

FSF is no authority to declare which license is open source or not.

• Bas

anand.t wrote:

It definitely stole the thunder from MIX.
    Guess what the hottest topic at MIX?
    “Is Microsoft going to open source Silverlight too?”

That's just pathetic. How is that ever going to be the hottest topic at MIX?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.