Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Hacking Vista's Windows+E Windows+Pause

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

Any ideas on how to:

1. Make Windows+E start explorer elevated / with admin privs? I'd prefer a solution that only targets the launch from keyboard, otherwise I could probably do it with a manifest file I think.

2. Make Windows+Pause go to System Properties/Device Manager/. The View Basic information page is really useless once you've seen it once and rest of the time you want some of the stuff in System Properties.

After a year of using it, I'll say the new control panel is an improvement but rest of the configuration management is a huge mess of old (now even more with new stuff added). You have important options cluttered around in System Properties + Security/group policy editor + administrative tools folder etc.

I just installed Longhorn b3 and making it a more friendly and less Win2000 means going through ton of options. I understand it's a server OS but MS should recognize that some people actually attach a monitor to it and possibly work with it too. Perplexed

• User profile image
    sushovande

Press the Start button on your keyboard, type in "explorer", and then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

This will start windows explorer with admin privileges. You will have to approve the UAC dialog, though.

• User profile image
    androidi

Well I resorted to the old way of creating shortcut that should open it with admin privs now and having it now open from CTRL+ALT+E. But I have a feeling some apps would like to use this combo for other stuff...

Another idea would be using "fast" user switching to switch to administrator but having tried how fast it actually is, it's not fast enough. (and would have to type in password if using one as recommended)

• User profile image
    Chris Jackson

Explorer is single instance, so even if you launch it with a shortcut to elevate, it will detect that it is already running and not launch a second instance. You can see this in Process Explorer. Consequently, no amount of shortcut creation will do what you are looking for.

• User profile image
    borosen

Chris Jackson wrote:
    Explorer is single instance, so even if you launch it with a shortcut to elevate, it will detect that it is already running and not launch a second instance. You can see this in Process Explorer. Consequently, no amount of shortcut creation will do what you are looking for.

In XP, I can set the folder view to open each folder window in a separate process.
    This way I can open an explorer with administrator rights with 'run as'.

Is that no longer possible, in Vista?

• User profile image
    androidi

Chris Jackson wrote:

It works like I said earlier but the problem is that the Explorer Shortcut key does not understand Left CTRL from the Right CTRL so soon after I noticed that pressing AltGr + E (different scan code vs left ctrl+left alt e) also opens the elevated explorer - when it should output the Euro symbol.

How I know it works? There is no "You need to provide administrator permission ..." dialog when copying stuff to the root of my empty external harddrive or other "sensitive places".

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Elevating explorer works if you are an admin. If however you are running as a real limited user you can't elevate it. The same thing is true in XP.

In XP, this can be circumvented by checking "run each explorer window in its own process". I haven't tried yet whether that works on Vista.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.