Coffeehouse Thread

82 posts

Victory at last.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • corona_coder

It is official.  Ubuntu, the future of computing and the best Linux distribution in the world, is being preinstalled on Dell computers and will be available via purchase from Dell.  Good news for the world, bad news for Microsoft.  Vista was DOA.  Windows is dead.  Sorry.

• Massif

You're even funnier than Darth you know that?

Let's see how the sales figures go shall we? Lest we forget that they've pre-installed Linux before - and that didn't go so well.

• harumscarum

corona_coder wrote:
    It is official.  Ubuntu, the future of computing and the best Linux distribution in the world, is being preinstalled on Dell computers and will be available via purchase from Dell.  Good news for the world, bad news for Microsoft.  Vista was DOA.  Windows is dead.  Sorry.

So that's all it takes for you? I bet you get distracted by shiny objects.

• Randolpho

harumscarum wrote:
    So that's all it takes for you? I bet you get distracted by shiny objects.

Hey, now, don't go cau --

ooooooh, shiny!

• Dr Herbie

How many of the people who bombarded the Dell forum with requests for this will actually end up buying one?

I suspect not many.

Hope this works out for Dell, it's a brave step in some ways although hindsight will tell if it was brave or stupid.

Herbie

• stevo_

While this is an obvious troll, I think if anything- it may just highlight how good Windows really is..

• Chadk

The sale is gonna be pretty low, i think.

The people who would want ubuntu would know how to install it themself, and most likely do so.

• Custa1200

I thought Linux types were ones to build their own system from the ground up like their OS? I don't see how Dell offering prebuilt systems will engage Linux-types??

• Sampy

Well, we had a good run.

Anyone need some Perl CGI written?

• JonesJ

"Windows is dead"

Puuurlllease...Linux zealots have been saying this for >10 years.

You had your chance lads, now go back to your garden sheds and smoke your pipes.

"Linux is dead".

• thumbtacks2

Good thing I picked OpenGL for my game engine's main API.

Nice and portable.

Of course that was the intent all along.

• jb43081

Sampy wrote:
    Well, we had a good run.

Anyone need some Perl CGI written?

No, but please be sure to let us know when you start selling off the office furniture. I need a new desk.

• Ray6

corona_coder wrote:

Yep, desperate companies will try anything to stay in the news ...

I think Dell has mistaken the number of zealots who left a comment on their page, with the number of people who will actually buy one.

If I were you, I'd put my order in before they bury the whole scheme on some unreachable spot on their website .... and get your two friends (the ones that you don't need to inflate) to buy a machine too. Dell has to see this as a success to keep it going.

• Dr Herbie

It will be interesting to see if the Linux laptops are cheaper than Windows counterparts or more expensive (no cash incentives to Dell from annoying software bundle agreements).

If it's going to attract Joe Public (which I'm guessing it will need to in order to make profit) then it will have to be noticeably cheaper (not just $20 cheaper) to encourage buyers to break brand fidelity to Windows.

Guess we'll wait and see.

Herbie

• Ansrod

If Dell wants something out of the box, ready to run some browser..... well  they are on rails. Windows is not dead, but this is a good challenge.

That´s why silverlight was born. I can really imagine some Ubuntu Dell machine  running silverlight on it,  google apps, adobe apolo, flash, or ruby-on- rails.

Yep, come on... software as a service cross swords with microsoft.

Cheers

• thumbtacks2

Dr Herbie wrote:
    It will be interesting to see if the Linux laptops are cheaper than Windows counterparts or more expensive (no cash incentives to Dell from annoying software bundle agreements).

If it's going to attract Joe Public (which I'm guessing it will need to in order to make profit) then it will have to be noticeably cheaper (not just $20 cheaper) to encourage buyers to break brand fidelity to Windows.

Guess we'll wait and see.
    Which brings this whole thing right back around to one of my original arguments: Linux application developers need to create useful, innovative things that are not necessarily found on a Windows platform. That will create a unique value, and a reason for Joe Public to try something new. It isn't helping that the IDEs that are out there aren't the greatest.

• GoddersUK

corona_coder wrote:
     Windows is dead.  Sorry.

That would be after microsoft achieved above forcast profets?

(link)

• Tensor

Oh yeah thats why I stopped bothering coming here I remember.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.