Coffeehouse Thread

82 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Victory at last.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

In a few short months you will read the headlines:  "Dell reports Linux PC's outsell Windows PC's"

We won.  2007 goes down as the year of the Linux desktop.  2008 marks the death of windows and the decline of Microsoft.  All you Microsoft employees and Microsoft customers you better brush up on your Linux skills.  Windows is a legacy system and its been replaced.

• User profile image
    anand.t

corona_coder wrote:
    In a few short months you will read the headlines:  "Dell reports Linux PC's outsell Windows PC's"

We won.  2007 goes down as the year of the Linux desktop.  2008 marks the death of windows and the decline of Microsoft.  All you Microsoft employees and Microsoft customers you better brush up on your Linux skills.  Windows is a legacy system and its been replaced.

what difference is it going to make to you ?? You will still be jumping forum to forum whining about something Tongue Out I am not sure if you are aware of the fact that ppl still use Win 3.1 programs?? The last generation legacy systems (pre-microsoft) have themselves not been replaced yet  and you are talking about replacing microsoft in a year :O

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

corona_coder wrote:

Tell me, why would I replace my perfectly functional Windows machine with a Linux machine that I'll have to relearn, reconfigure, and replace hardware for (i.e. printers, winmodems, etc.)?  And that's ignoring the fact that I'm essentially throwing all the software I've purchased over the last decade out the window.

Sell me on it.  No "Linux is automagically better because it's open source and you can change it if you don't like it" BS either--  I shouldn't have to do that to make the system work the way I want.

• User profile image
    BryanF

corona_coder wrote:

In any case, at least we'll no longer have to hear howls to the effect of "We could win if the OEMs weren't in M$FT's pocket!"

On an unrelated note, I think the next version of Channel9 needs a way to flag SOBs ("sons of beer")... [A]

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Red5 wrote:
    Translation: Execute ORDER 66

That's nice, but I'm more of a Star Trek fan, so:

Random engineer: Why did the captain just order self destruct?
    Scotty: I'd say, lass, because he hopes that when we go up, we'll take the intruder with us.
    RE: Will we?
    Scotty: When that much matter and antimatter come together? Aye, we will.

(That scene is only on the ST:TMP Director's Edition DVD)

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

corona_coder wrote:

Darn. And I just created an account here. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    josh_harris

Heres how I think this will go down:

The non technical user will go (if advertised correctly) "oh yay!! a cheep computer" and buys it.

Gets it home and presses power - sees GRUB, and wonders where is the windows loading screen, bears with it.

Gets fed up with waiting for linux and rings technical support.

Technical support tells user that that computer doesnt come with Windows.

User decides to return the computer back to dell and buys new computer with windows installed

dell pulls computer.

Linux will never (or at least not for a long time) be the mainstream desktop OS, simply because of the windows brand, if anything displaces Windows in the near future it will be Mac

• User profile image
    corona_coder

josh_harris wrote:
    Heres how I think this will go down:

The non technical user will go (if advertised correctly) "oh yay!! a cheep computer" and buys it.

Gets it home and presses power - sees GRUB, and wonders where is the windows loading screen, bears with it.

Gets fed up with waiting for linux and rings technical support.

Technical support tells user that that computer doesnt come with Windows.

User decides to return the computer back to dell and buys new computer with windows installed

dell pulls computer.

Linux will never (or at least not for a long time) be the mainstream desktop OS, simply because of the windows brand, if anything displaces Windows in the near future it will be Mac

With Dell pushing Ubuntu hardware and software developers will be porting to Ubuntu.  if they dont their business will die.  Linux is the future people need to get used to it.  Ubuntu is the future of computing.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

corona_coder wrote:
    It is official.  Ubuntu, the future of computing and the best Linux distribution in the world, is being preinstalled on Dell computers and will be available via purchase from Dell.  Good news for the world, bad news for Microsoft.  Vista was DOA.  Windows is dead.  Sorry.

Awh.  I voted for Linux From Scratch.

No .. really, I did Tongue Out

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

corona_coder wrote:

yes... you know... everybody is going to buy the dell linux PCs that cost more than the windows ones and that run an OS that isn't supported by commercial applications like photoshop etc! pratically all those nice and shiny applications PC shops sell.

I still haven't seen any reseller selling dell linux PCs (that were already available before and are still available now), I imagine "everything" will change now that Dell has added ubuntu... particularly now that almost any retailer knows that linux isn't a desktop PC seller (remember linspire? most shops aren't selling linspire PCs anymore because nobody wanted them)

continue dreaming Sad

corona_coder wrote:

With Dell pushing Ubuntu hardware and software developers will be porting to Ubuntu.  if they dont their business will die.  Linux is the future people need to get used to it.  Ubuntu is the future of computing.

oh my god...

either you're the world's best comedian or the world's worst dramatist. these posts are so ridicolous I can't believe you really trust what you're writing...

• User profile image
    Badgerguy

corona_coder wrote:

Pushing?  Oh dear, I think you've been badly mis-informed.

Dell won't be 'pushing' Linux over Windows - far from it.  Windows will still be the primary operating system of choice for Dell - and most users who go on to the Dell site buying a PC will end up with Windows unless they explicity seek out and choose Linux.

Will Dell be sinking their own time and money into developing the OS image for factory preload?  Probably not - they'll most like be relying heavily on Canonical for that.
    Well Dell be sinking their own time and money into setting up a full Linux support department for people who have bought their PCs?  Again, probably not.

Dell know their market, and they know that most consumers and businesses will want Windows on their PCs, be it for the age old FUD of 'lock-in' or simply because people don't want to spend the time re-learning a new OS - the fact that Dell are offering Linux as a factory option, is not a Windows-killer.

Dell are doing this to play into supposed 'demand' that their ide-storm site indicated to them, but lets not forget that such sites have been heavily targeted by Linux proponents such as those who frequent Slashdot - which has most likely given seriously skewed results to Dell, who I predict will quikckly learn that the demand for Linux is actually pretty small.

A whole huge combination of factors will have to come into play for Linux to topple Windows on the desktop - factory pre-load may be one of those factors - but it's not a major one, not at all.

• User profile image
    jb43081

DoomBringer wrote:

JKelley wrote: 

But I can't find my chicken and snorkel, how is this plan ever going to work without the chicken and snorkel????

That is plan Delta Zeta.  Those items would have already been distributed to you already if DZ was in effect.

Wait, I thought plan Delta Zeta was to kick all of the ugly ones out. Or was that just the DePauw campus?

• User profile image
    jb43081

corona_coder wrote:

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong all the time? 

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Linux+ will be a good investment.

• User profile image
    anand.t

To the victors above. Since you have won, why dont you now SHUT your mouth and get lost of here instead of giving advices???

• User profile image
    Ray6

anand.t wrote:

To the victors above. Since you have won, why dont you now SHUT your mouth and get lost of here instead of giving advices???

Because they know that they've won nothing at all ... Smiley

They're actually a pretty good barometer for the failing fortunes of Linux on the desktop. If it was doing well, why are they so desperate?

More than ten years of trying, and still haven't scored 1% yet?

Yup, I'd be desperate too ...

• User profile image
    blowdart

emet wrote:

Too bad the statistics you choose show linux marketshare falling, and Vista's marketshare rising.

• User profile image
    Bas

emet wrote:

Things move fast in the world of operating system market shares. Yikes, Vista already having a 3.7 times larger market share than Linux? How did that happen in just 15 minutes?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.