Coffeehouse Thread

82 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Victory at last.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray6

emet wrote:

Ray6 wrote:
    anand.t wrote: 

To the victors above. Since you have won, why dont you now SHUT your mouth and get lost of here instead of giving advices???

Because they know that they've won nothing at all ...

They're actually a pretty good barometer for the failing fortunes of Linux on the desktop. If it was doing well, why are they so desperate?

More than ten years of trying, and still haven't scored 1% yet?

Yup, I'd be desperate too ...

Too bad Linux's marketshare already double that of Vista.

Yes, as I said, desperate.

You really should have read the link before you posted, my eager friend.

From the W3C browser stats page

January 2007 Linux has 3.6%
    Feburary 2007 Linux has 3.5%
    March 2007 Linux 3.4%

Yes, I'm afraid that Linux share is actually on the way down according to the figures you've given us here.

But if we visit a site with another site, we see that things are even worse, with Vista having already smacked Linux around the schoolyard several times over. According to these figures, Vista has already overtaken the number of new Intel Macs in use.

MarketLink

As I said before.

Ouch ...

Y'know I've just had a thought. You're really a Vista fan aren't you? The poor arguments you present here are really a very clever way of undermining the Linux platform. I mean, why else would you post figures proving that Linux on the desktop is fading away?

You clever covert Windows lover, you ....  Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

emet wrote:

So what is it then? 0.8% or 3.4%? Honestally I don't know. Nor do I care.

Twenty minutes ago, you cared enough to look up market shares and post gleefully about them. Now that you realise that the w3schools market share statistics aren't the end-all answer, suddenly you don't care about market share anymore?

Amusing.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Bas wrote:

emet wrote:

Things move fast in the world of operating system market shares. Yikes, Vista already having a 3.7 times larger market share than Linux? How did that happen in just 15 minutes?

Actually, given the bad press that Vista has, I didn't think it would overtake Linux until the late Summer.

Just goes to show you, there are too many Linux folk bleating like sheep, and not enough Linux people working on making the platform a viable desktop alternative to Windows and the Mac.

The problem is something that I keep going on about. There are not really that many Linux supporters; just a whole load of whining Microsoft haters, and that does not make a viable desktop platform.

'Yeah but what about the server?' They scream while foaming at the mouth.

Well the server was easy. All they had to do was replace expensive Unix operating systems, with the same boxes that cost nothing.

Gosh how tricky was that ... Expressionless

If Microsoft had been at the top of the server market when Linux was introduced, then they would have less than 1% of the server market too.

Every one of those people who begged Dell (and there weren't really that many) had better actually buy a machine, otherwise Dell will simply pull away from the experiment (they're not deep into it anyway; the hard work is being done by a third party) and claim that Linux is not viable on the desktop.
    That would mean that the screaming fanatics would have set Desktop Linux back another five or six years.

• User profile image
    Bas

emet wrote:
    How does it feel being proven wrong, Mr. Linux can't break 1% marketshare.

What proof? Just one post ago you yourself said that you didn't know if it was less than 1% or more than 3%.

• User profile image
    anand.t

emet wrote:

wowowowo you are comparing vista that was released 4 months back with linux that has been here for over a decade.

And you say "already double". You are speaking as if linux grabbed vistas market. It is the other way round.

• User profile image
    Bas

emet wrote:

Bas wrote: 
    emet wrote: 

Twenty minutes ago, you cared enough to look up market shares and post gleefully about them. Now that you realise that the w3schools market share statistics aren't the end-all answer, suddenly you don't care about market share anymore?

Amusing.

No actually, that was in response to Ray's gleeful remarks of how Linux can't break 1% marketshare. I simply stated that Linux's marketshare is twice that of Vista, and provided a link. The shock must be getting to you guys, because you are grasping straws.

No, actually, that was in response to me, seeing how you quoted my post and went into what I said. I realise that you're trying to mask how you're being proven wrong, but it's not helping.

Also, after showing how Vista's market share is 3.7 times larger than that of Vista, you start contradicting yourself twice within a couple of minutes. I think it's pretty clear who is so shocked over all this.

• User profile image
    Ray6

emet wrote:

Ray6 wrote:
    emet wrote: 
    Ray6 wrote: 
    anand.t wrote: 

To the victors above. Since you have won, why dont you now SHUT your mouth and get lost of here instead of giving advices???

Because they know that they've won nothing at all ...

They're actually a pretty good barometer for the failing fortunes of Linux on the desktop. If it was doing well, why are they so desperate?

More than ten years of trying, and still haven't scored 1% yet?

Yup, I'd be desperate too ...

Yes, as I said, desperate.

You really should have read the link before you posted, my eager friend.

From the W3C browser stats page

January 2007 Linux has 3.6%
    Feburary 2007 Linux has 3.5%
    March 2007 Linux 3.4%

Yes, I'm afraid that Linux share is actually on the way down according to the figures you've given us here.

But if we visit a site with another site, we see that things are even worse, with Vista having already smacked Linux around the schoolyard several times over. According to these figures, Vista has already overtaken the number of new Intel Macs in use.

MarketLink

As I said before.

Ouch ...

Y'know I've just had a thought. You're really a Vista fan aren't you? The poor arguments you present here are really a very clever way of undermining the Linux platform. I mean, why else would you post figures proving that Linux on the desktop is fading away?

You clever covert Windows lover, you .... 

How does it feel being proven wrong, Mr. Linux can't break 1% marketshare.

Well when it happens, I'll let you know ... Wink

The w3c browser stats come from the stats from their own servers. All that proves is that a higher proportion of Linux folk visit their site. That's hardly an even statistical spread.

The MarketLink figures come from about 40,000 different locations, not all of which are tech related. So that is already a better spread for any analysis.

But if it makes you sleep better, then let's just sat you're right that and the Linux share is heading South ... Smiley

You don't work for Microsoft Marketing do you?

No .. they haven't got anyone who is doing as much for Vista as you are ... Perplexed

• User profile image
    Ray6

emet wrote:

Ray6 wrote:
    Bas wrote: 

emet wrote: 

Things move fast in the world of operating system market shares. Yikes, Vista already having a 3.7 times larger market share than Linux? How did that happen in just 15 minutes?

Actually, given the bad press that Vista has, I didn't think it would overtake Linux until the late Summer.

Just goes to show you, there are too many Linux folk bleating like sheep, and not enough Linux people working on making the platform a viable desktop alternative to Windows and the Mac.

The problem is something that I keep going on about. There are not really that many Linux supporters; just a whole load of whining Microsoft haters, and that does not make a viable desktop platform.

Well the server was easy. All they had to do was replace expensive Unix operating systems, with the same boxes that cost nothing.

Gosh how tricky was that ...

If Microsoft had been at the top of the server market when Linux was introduced, then they would have less than 1% of the server market too.

Every one of those people who begged Dell (and there weren't really that many) had better actually buy a machine, otherwise Dell will simply pull away from the experiment (they're not deep into it anyway; the hard work is being done by a third party) and claim that Linux is not viable on the desktop.
    That would mean that the screaming fanatics would have set Desktop Linux back another five or six years.

Honestally, I hope the Dell pulls out because I'd love to replace them as the #1 OEM. I initally felt that Dell installing Linux was personally bad for me because I make some good money building Linux computers and laptops for people, and was planning to expand my operations about a week or two before Dell announced this. There goes the neighborhood.

Emet mate, we all know that you don't actually have a job. Big Smile

Now please stop before you do any more damage to desktop Linux.

• User profile image
    Ray6

emet wrote:

Bas wrote:
    emet wrote: 

Amusing.

No actually, that was in response to Ray's gleeful remarks of how Linux can't break 1% marketshare. I simply stated that Linux's marketshare is twice that of Vista, and provided a link. The shock must be getting to you guys, because you are grasping straws.

Grasping at straws?

In your desperation, you're the one who provided a link that shows Linux desktop share is falling at an alarming rate.

No-one could really grasp at a straw and miss so badly.

C'mon Emet. We're all friends here. Admit it. You're really here to undermine Linux aren't you?

Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

emet wrote:
    I'm not contradicting myself.

You said you didn't care about market share right after gleefully posting about market share. After that, you mentioned Ray6 being proven wrong that Linux can't break 1% market share, right after saying that you didn't know if it was less than 1% or more than 3%. Those are two contradictions right there.

• User profile image
    Ray6

emet wrote:

Bas wrote:
    emet wrote: 
    Bas wrote: 
    emet wrote: 

Amusing.

No, actually, that was in response to me, seeing how you quoted my post and went into what I said. I realise that you're trying to mask how you're being proven wrong, but it's not helping.

Also, after showing how Vista's market share is 3.7 times larger than that of Vista, you start contradicting yourself twice within a couple of minutes. I think it's pretty clear who is so shocked over all this.

I'm not contradicting myself. The report I quoted contradicts your report. Instead of debating it further which is plainly stupid and a waste of time, I dropped the subject. That doesn't somehow make you "right" and I am "wrong".

I think you're right.

Linux market share is falling ...

• User profile image
    Ray6

emet wrote:

Ray6 wrote:
    emet wrote: 
    Ray6 wrote: 
    Bas wrote: 

emet wrote: 

Gosh how tricky was that ...

Honestally, I hope the Dell pulls out because I'd love to replace them as the #1 OEM. I initally felt that Dell installing Linux was personally bad for me because I make some good money building Linux computers and laptops for people, and was planning to expand my operations about a week or two before Dell announced this. There goes the neighborhood.

Emet mate, we all know that you don't actually have a job.

Now please stop before you do any more damage to desktop Linux.

You seem really into physchological manipulation. I'll just let you know that such stupidity only works on weak minds.

Mmm .. you're starting to sound a little paranoid there mate ... Smiley

Drink cocoa before you go to bed ; it'll help you forget what happened here today ... Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

emet wrote:

Bas wrote: 

emet wrote: I'm not contradicting myself.

You said you didn't care about market share right after gleefully posting about market share. After that, you mentioned Ray6 being proven wrong that Linux can't break 1% market share, right after saying that you didn't know if it was less than 1% or more than 3%. Those are two contradictions right there.

I don't know what Linux's marketshare and so don't any of you. I figure w3schools would know better then I did, hence why I linked to them.

Nice job avoiding anything I said there. Perhaps you should post just the "Perplexed" face next?

• User profile image
    Sampy

One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the penguins will soon be here. And I, for one, welcome our new Linux overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted internet personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

Sampy's humor provided by Microsoft Joke.

• User profile image
    anand.t

Sampy wrote:
    One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the penguins will soon be here. And I, for one, welcome our new Linux overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted internet personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

Penguins are coming to Redmond. Effect of Global Warming probably Perplexed

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I don't mind the linux-crew...a good bunch of people for the most part. But it seems as though the most vocal linux-proponents on these boards are incredibly annoying and disrespectful.

• User profile image
    k2t0f12d

Sampy wrote:

When Redmond burns, you will be brought fresh Oracles from every corner of the Empire .. daily. Smiley

• User profile image
    corona_coder

emet, beer and the rest of the Linux supporters here on Channel 9.  2007, the year of the Linux desktop was proclaimed and came to be a reality and it has finally arrived.  All the Windows supporters in the world cannot change the reality that we are victorious.  We spoke, they heard and we were not denied.  Do not let the insults of the Windows zealots taint your heart.  My only advice before I leave this forum is brush up on your skills with Linux.  Make more than your Windows counterparts and never stop believing in freedom.  I promised myself when I joined Channel 9 aka the marketing machine that I would be the first to post that the Linux desktop had arrived when it did indeed arrive.  Well the future has happened.  The Linux desktop has arrived and I was the first to post on it.  My job is done and I am now taking my leave of Channel 9 and marching towards the future.  Goodbye my friends.  And always remember, for best results use Linux.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.