Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dynamic document update, MSDN-esque

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

I need to implement a facility to allow users to add .pdf files. Basically the site (proposed) has an area where new documents are made available as-and-when. As time passes this area will hopefully have a sort of library of documents of type x-y-z.

The solution I see frequently in this scenario is to save the .pdf files to a database, and just update the links to the documents to "add" the new document. I feel that a site full of links to .pdf files is ineloquent and that a MSDN solution is far better, with the tree view hierachy.

Would this MSDN type of navigation be easy to implement in ASP.NET 2 or is it simpler to just have .pdf files?  Are there any 3rd party solutions that are available?

• User profile image
    vesuvius
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

vesuvius wrote:
    I need to implement a facility to allow users to add .pdf files. Basically the site (proposed) has an area where new documents are made available as-and-when. As time passes this area will hopefully have a sort of library of documents of type x-y-z.

The solution I see frequently in this scenario is to save the .pdf files to a database, and just update the links to the documents to "add" the new document. I feel that a site full of links to .pdf files is ineloquent and that a MSDN solution is far better, with the tree view hierachy.

Would this MSDN type of navigation be easy to implement in ASP.NET 2 or is it simpler to just have .pdf files?  Are there any 3rd party solutions that are available?

If you didn't want to go the commercial route, you can build the MSDN treeview structure pretty easily.  You'd fill the treeview object with your layout, and as new pdfs were added, your treeview would change based on the additions.

I'm familiar with how to manually fill a treeview with nodes and subnodes, but I've never tried to just hook a SQLObjectDataSource up to it. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.